oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
:rolleyes3:

This article is worth the read.
To begin with, nobody was (or should have been) overly surprised when Kelly reneged on his agreement to be the next Gators coach. Since Kelly first became a head coach at Oregon, he has lied to and back-stabbed almost every team he’s entered into agreements with, so this is certainly no outlier. Rather than say he lied, I will say he “changed his mind”, but you can draw your own conclusions. He “changed his mind” after promising to be the Tampa Bay Bucs’ new coach. He “changed his mind” about being the Cleveland Browns’ new coach. He “changed his mind” about being the Buffalo Bills’ new coach. He “changed his mind” about being the Philadelphia Eagles’ new coach. He “changed his mind” about staying the Oregon Ducks’ new coach. One might surmise that he is pathological in this sense.

He “changed his mind” (ahem) to us a lot and reneged on an agreement last Sunday to be the next Gators head coach. We gave him a 1-week window to make it final, providing right of first refusal of any better offer. He used that time to play us and UCLA back and forth to jack up what we already promised him (basically the kitchen sink), and the last demand came Thursday morning and apparently SS smelled a rat or otherwise had had enough, and told him we were through being pushed for demands. He had to take it or leave it. That’s when ESPN ran the story that we had moved on. We likely would have still accepted Kelly’s signature if it was before the deadline, but he signed with UCLA, making that hypothetical decision moot.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:rolleyes3:

This article is worth the read.
Oh, I read that...I was not surprised to hear....disappointed, but not surprised. Not sure if 100% true either. I am not convinced we ever offered. Fuchs, after shaking his hand, said hell no.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Some pretty decent lines in that piece. My personal favorite...

"While most of Gator Nation was showing a therapist where on the doll the Chip Kelly saga touched them, I took the kids out for a long day of bike riding and goofing in the park."

:lol:

Here's the thing I don't get. A lot of these guys write these articles alluding to things like,

"He “changed his mind” (ahem) to us a lot and reneged on an agreement last Sunday to be the next Gators head coach. We gave him a 1-week window to make it final, providing right of first refusal of any better offer. He used that time to play us and UCLA back and forth to jack up what we already promised him (basically the kitchen sink), and the last demand came Thursday morning and apparently SS smelled a rat or otherwise had had enough, and told him we were through being pushed for demands. He had to take it or leave it. That’s when ESPN ran the story that we had moved on. We likely would have still accepted Kelly’s signature if it was before the deadline, but he signed with UCLA, making that hypothetical decision moot."

.....yet if they know all this stuff went on they never give specifics. Why? I mean wouldn't the person supposedly telling them all this tell them more specifics? It's after the fact so there's no reason to keep things close to the vest. It makes me think that much of what they write is conjecture.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He said Norvell didn't get past vetting so was never an option. Anyone know why? All I can think of is that he is really young.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I think the writer was mainly spot on...
Kelly is kind of a tool and seems to be a job hopper.

Frost is a Husker Homer...and only what? Two years as a head coach? Do we need another experiment?

Taggart probably wouldn't leave after just one year and I'm not convinced he's that great of a coach.
Norvell has made a good name for himself at Memphis... but it's Memphis.

I think we got the right guy from the available pool of coaches.

FSU, Vols, MSU and the Hogs are in for a rough couple of weeks.

Fred

Nov 27, 2017
Yay! I'm so excited I'm bout to go fill me a sh!tter! The history books may one day talk about Mullen's Gators just hoping it's in a positive light...

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
He is definitely right about on thing for sure - I'm sure as hell glad we're not in Tennessee's shoes. The rest is open to conjecture, but the bush league money CK got from UCLA doesn't sound like the handiwork of a master manipulator. Sounds more to me like Kelly was the one who got played. "See, we tried for the biggest name out there, but he insisted on 4 million a year and we could only go to 6 million." I just don't see anyone as self-serving and grandiose as CK is purported to be settling for so much less $$$. Like really? Is Gainesville really that bad?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
From the outset, plenty of us properly judged Kelly to be the quintessential assiomatic creep. Glad Kelly ain't here. The UCLA program will be interesting to watch, though.

After years the Chump & Butters debacles burned down even our chimneys, well Mullens is a stable, reliable rebuild. Coaches change themselves, working beside better assisstants changes coaches, working with better quality athletes changes a coach. Florida has to change.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
He said it was the online fans, not all fans, so basically it was just your fault.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Sidebar...watching Sportscenter with Michael & Jemele (something I never do) and they said that we offered the job to Mike Gundy BEFORE we offered it to Mullen. Anybody else hearing this and have the background scoop on why Gundy turned (allegedly) us down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator