Cooter, Help! Zambo gets Betty too hot

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It was mostly a simple matter from there to start hooking up the individual wires to the switches, lights, etc. Every single wire in the harness is labeled every foot or so with arrows pointing to what that wire is supposed to connect to.
iu

So for the light switch for instance all the wires are in one bundle and you just follow the schematic to connect the right wire to the right terminal. Hot wire in, main headlight wire out, front park light wire out, rear park light wire out, dome light wire out, and dimmer wire out which connects to the gauges. Easy peezy.
IMG_6357.JPG

It takes a little effort to keep it from becoming a rats nest again but just a little forethought and effort and you can keep it neat. Most of the dash switches are hooked up and its looking a little busy, but after I zip tie everything together it'll look a lot neater. Plus I'll strain relieve the bundles so they don't break from bouncing around down the road, which is far more important in a race car but still something to do on any vehicle.
IMG_6367 2.JPG

Not every switch is new or easy to hook up. This is the reverse light switch, which is mounted on the shifter on the dash. When the shifter is in the reverse position, it makes the switch which turns on the reverse lights. As you can see, one of the wires broke off the housing. If you can find this switch online, expect to pay well over 100 bucks for it (after all its over 50 years old). So I set out to fix this one.
IMG_6368.JPG

I took the switch apart and cleaned everything inside first to make sure it would work after I reattached that wire. 3 small springs and a few tiny contacts etc. It took a minute to figure out how it was supposed to work, but everything inside seems like it'll last a while longer at least. Next I soldered the broken wire back on to the post that sticks through the housing. The reason it broke off in the first place is due to the wire bouncing around and working that little connection until it finally broke, which is why you do the strain relieving I mentioned earlier. After I finished that I tried to rivet the switch housing back together but there was no way, and some of the tabs on the metal part of the switch housing had broken off as well. So I put a big zip tie around everything to hold it together, then I mixed up some epoxy and basically "potted" the whole assembly. This not only holds the housing together but adds a ton of strength to the wire connections.
IMG_6371.JPG

The tail lights were a similar story, with the bulb housings being very corroded and not worth cleaning up. I bought a couple bulb housings on amazon for 7 bucks and made a little bracket to mount them to the tail light bases. You can see the old housing on the bench next to the modified new base.
IMG_6377.JPG

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
After I added the new siding a while back, I never got around to installing the fuel filler which goes to the new gas tank. So time to get busy with the roto-bit and cut a hole in the side of the rv. And more fun with putty! In the end its a pretty sano, simple setup. All that is left to do is to build a box out of metal flashing on the inside of the rv that goes around the fuel plumbing. This is to keep any fumes from any sort of leak from coming into the camper. I'll probably do that at the same time when I start making the rear benches.
IMG_6361.JPG IMG_6362.JPG IMG_6363.JPG

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
It was mostly a simple matter from there to start hooking up the individual wires to the switches, lights, etc. Every single wire in the harness is labeled every foot or so with arrows pointing to what that wire is supposed to connect to.
iu

So for the light switch for instance all the wires are in one bundle and you just follow the schematic to connect the right wire to the right terminal. Hot wire in, main headlight wire out, front park light wire out, rear park light wire out, dome light wire out, and dimmer wire out which connects to the gauges. Easy peezy.

It takes a little effort to keep it from becoming a rats nest again but just a little forethought and effort and you can keep it neat. Most of the dash switches are hooked up and its looking a little busy, but after I zip tie everything together it'll look a lot neater. Plus I'll strain relieve the bundles so they don't break from bouncing around down the road, which is far more important in a race car but still something to do on any vehicle.

Not every switch is new or easy to hook up. This is the reverse light switch, which is mounted on the shifter on the dash. When the shifter is in the reverse position, it makes the switch which turns on the reverse lights. As you can see, one of the wires broke off the housing. If you can find this switch online, expect to pay well over 100 bucks for it (after all its over 50 years old). So I set out to fix this one.

I took the switch apart and cleaned everything inside first to make sure it would work after I reattached that wire. 3 small springs and a few tiny contacts etc. It took a minute to figure out how it was supposed to work, but everything inside seems like it'll last a while longer at least. Next I soldered the broken wire back on to the post that sticks through the housing. The reason it broke off in the first place is due to the wire bouncing around and working that little connection until it finally broke, which is why you do the strain relieving I mentioned earlier. After I finished that I tried to rivet the switch housing back together but there was no way, and some of the tabs on the metal part of the switch housing had broken off as well. So I put a big zip tie around everything to hold it together, then I mixed up some epoxy and basically "potted" the whole assembly. This not only holds the housing together but adds a ton of strength to the wire connections.

The tail lights were a similar story, with the bulb housings being very corroded and not worth cleaning up. I bought a couple bulb housings on amazon for 7 bucks and made a little bracket to mount them to the tail light bases. You can see the old housing on the bench next to the modified new base.
I hate to break this to you, but there were four springs... you'll figure it out. ;)

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Betty moved under her own power today for the first time in 4 years. The brakes and steering seemed to work good, the carb is terribly in need of a tune. All I could do was move it around a little in the yard because there is a lot of stuff not bolted down still, but I wanted to at least get it rolling and get it off the pad so I could pressure wash the concrete where she's been sitting.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think mama was yelling in joy because she thought you were moving out
No such luck!

The truth is we were both yelling for joy that the damn thing actually was able to stop before rolling down the hill, through the fence, and into the orchard. :lol:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Betty moved under her own power today for the first time in 4 years. The brakes and steering seemed to work good, the carb is terribly in need of a tune. All I could do was move it around a little in the yard because there is a lot of stuff not bolted down still, but I wanted to at least get it rolling and get it off the pad so I could pressure wash the concrete where she's been sitting.

Kinda like the Wright brothers flight at Kitty Hawk!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
After looking at the carb, I'm realizing that the choke is probably not working right, plus some of the vacuum lines are a head scratcher. I have no idea how it is jetted or even how it should be jetted or how to tune it. I was planning on just running it like this for a while and then converting it to fuel injection, but now I just want it running and to be done with it so I ordered the FI stuff and it should be here tomorrow.
0011_39001_7-1.jpg

Also, I ordered a set of gauges to replace the stock panel which was mostly non-functional. I like the vintage look of the stock panel but again I don't want to be messing with it all the time so this pair of combo gauges from Stewart Warner should work pretty good. First thing I have to do is cut a new dash panel to mount the gauges in so I broke out the plasma cutter and started in on it. I'll need to put a few more holes in it for turn signal indicators and the like but after I paint it and put some trim around the edge I hope it'll look all right.
IMG_6391.jpg

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
After looking at the carb, I'm realizing that the choke is probably not working right, plus some of the vacuum lines are a head scratcher. I have no idea how it is jetted or even how it should be jetted or how to tune it. I was planning on just running it like this for a while and then converting it to fuel injection, but now I just want it running and to be done with it so I ordered the FI stuff and it should be here tomorrow.
0011_39001_7-1.jpg

Also, I ordered a set of gauges to replace the stock panel which was mostly non-functional. I like the vintage look of the stock panel but again I don't want to be messing with it all the time so this pair of combo gauges from Stewart Warner should work pretty good. First thing I have to do is cut a new dash panel to mount the gauges in so I broke out the plasma cutter and started in on it. I'll need to put a few more holes in it for turn signal indicators and the like but after I paint it and put some trim around the edge I hope it'll look all right.
Mannnnn, I BEG you... make the "turn signal indicator" lights single cut, big 'ole bulb, blinky things... but on the back end of the RV, you should get some b!tchin' sequential indicators! Here's a DIY video to get you started on the ass end!
Big 'ole blinkies: Pair Green Pilot Dash Indicator Warning Lights 12V - Vintage Classic Hot Rod | eBay

B!tchin' sequential DIY:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mannnnn, I BEG you... make the "turn signal indicator" lights single cut, big 'ole bulb, blinky things... but on the back end of the RV, you should get some b!tchin' sequential indicators! Here's a DIY video to get you started on the ass end!
Big 'ole blinkies: Pair Green Pilot Dash Indicator Warning Lights 12V - Vintage Classic Hot Rod | eBay

B!tchin' sequential DIY:

:lol: Even if I wanted to do all that work to make a sequential light, it wouldn't look right on the round taillight. I will use bulbs like that for the indicators on the dash.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
:lol: Even if I wanted to do all that work to make a sequential light, it wouldn't look right on the round taillight. I will use bulbs like that for the indicators on the dash.
Compromise accepted! ;)

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

You gonna paint her black?

Alex.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
What do you think of these?
51l2oZXQxVL._SL1001_.jpg
Acceptable, but only while shaking my head in slight disdain and disapproval... you know, like Dad did when you were four and it still affects your daily life going on 50 years later. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator