Cooter, Help! Zambo gets Betty too hot

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
More carpentry today since all the saws and stuff are still out. Feels good to get a little head of steam going. There's a lot of inertia when you're just staring at a totally blank canvas back there, but once I started cutting and nailing its getting easier and easier to visualize the next step.

As I mentioned there is a counter on the other side of Betty as well, so today I framed that cabinet in. After getting in the groove with the table saw, circular saw, and jigsaw yesterday, these panels came out a little more precise and also a lot faster. Now that they are in, the sidewalls of the cabin are strong like bull. By far, the most difficult thing in this part of the project is trying to get everything square. This RV wasn't exactly fabricated with laser pinpoint accuracy, there there are a couple spots where I just had to split the difference on where to anchor or cut in an effort to just make it as square as possible.

Also, as the cabinets go in it becomes apparent just how little actual wall space is left once the furnishings are built out. I bought some plain smooth paneling at Lowes today and will start cutting the panels for the walls soon. I can't fasten any of them yet because I'm still waiting for the thinsulate to arrive in a few days.

While I was at Lowes I found some edge glue panels, which are basically like butcher block only thinner. I think they will make good countertops. Also @crosscreekcooter, I found some of that premium pine you were talking about. I almost went with poplar because it's not very much more but the pine looks like it'll do the trick just fine. Maybe I'll start building the cabinet faces tomorrow.

One last update WRT the oil pan fiasco from the other day....the new pan came it, which is made for a car rather than a truck, and the depth looks like it will clear the axle with just enough room to spare. So hopefully that goes in smoothly and it'll be the end of that drama.

IMG_6462.JPG IMG_6464.JPG IMG_6465.JPG

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good choice on the counter top material. Do you plan to edge band it with like a 1x2? Thicker edge profiles make the top appear more robust. Looks like you decided against a recessed toe kick, was that to increase room in between the two banks of cabinets? Whats the plan on the ceiling? What are you planning for lighting? Betty's coming along nicely. Are you planning to use it at Baja?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good choice on the counter top material. Do you plan to edge band it with like a 1x2? Thicker edge profiles make the top appear more robust. Looks like you decided against a recessed toe kick, was that to increase room in between the two banks of cabinets? Whats the plan on the ceiling? What are you planning for lighting? Betty's coming along nicely. Are you planning to use it at Baja?
I’m gonna finish the edge of a scrap piece with some different router bits and see what the finance minister likes best. Probably not going with an edge banding but that’s a cool idea, I’ll take a look at it. All the lighting is led 12v stuff. I have some fairly bright surface mount ones but they’re kinda cheap looking typical rv plastic. I also bought some little recessed lights that are super shallow and just snap into a 2.5” hole. I think I’m gonna try those out. They are dimmable too so I just need a 12v dimmer switch. There is no room for a toe kick with the wheel wells. Plus there is gear like the mini fridge and water tank etc that have to sit right on the floor inside the cabinet and there wouldn’t be room if they were raised up to the height of a typical cabinet floor. Taking her to Baja would be awesome but only if she proves to be reliable, so we’ll see.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We’ve been in our home for 11 years. We live in this geographical oddity of wide open rolling bahia pastures on pure sand. It makes our temps run a good 4-5 degrees colder than even 1 mile away. It also causes extreme fog/moisture issues. Everything is 100% soaked every single morning. Water drips off the roofline every morning. I have to spray down the entire home with a bleach/chlorine solution twice a year for mildew control.

Anyway, the whole point of that, is the exterior was in dire need for a re-paint. After running through the entire scenario in my head over and over again.... I broke down and paid someone to completely scrub, prep, reseal, recaulk, and repaint the outside of home.

I wrote a check, so it still counts as doing something and qualifies for the thread. :lol:

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We’ve been in our home for 11 years. We live in this geographical oddity of wide open rolling bahia pastures on pure sand. It makes our temps run a good 4-5 degrees colder than even 1 mile away. It also causes extreme fog/moisture issues. Everything is 100% soaked every single morning. Water drips off the roofline every morning. I have to spray down the entire home with a bleach/chlorine solution twice a year for mildew control.

Anyway, the whole point of that, is the exterior was in dire need for a re-paint. After running through the entire scenario in my head over and over again.... I broke down and paid someone to completely scrub, prep, reseal, recaulk, and repaint the outside of home.

I wrote a check, so it still counts as doing something and qualifies for the thread. :lol:
Mexicans gotta eat, too. We’ll done!

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mexicans gotta eat, too. We’ll done!

Actually, a crew of two white dudes. The owner I know. His sidekick was basically a Mexican. An older man who has obviously lived a very hard life... but would work is absolute ass off.

Instead of covering things (outlet covers, lights, hinges, etc) they prefer to remove them so they clean and paint behind fixture. Due to the moisture, I essentially had to replace nearly everything they touched. Which is fine. I’d rather it be put back together correctly. Just crazy after only 11 years.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Actually, a crew of two white dudes. The owner I know. His sidekick was basically a Mexican. An older man who has obviously lived a very hard life... but would work is absolute ass off.

Instead of covering things (outlet covers, lights, hinges, etc) they prefer to remove them so they clean and paint behind fixture. Due to the moisture, I essentially had to replace nearly everything they touched. Which is fine. I’d rather it be put back together correctly. Just crazy after only 11 years.
It's Nash Bridges and Joe?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My wife found a video online of the only other one of these RVs I've seen. Plus you have to laugh at weirdo desert people.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
My wife found a video online of the only other one of these RVs I've seen. Plus you have to laugh at weirdo desert people.

I have a friend that had this on a t-shirt when we were in Korea... You need to get it painted on the RV!
download.jpeg

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alright, remember I said everything outside has rusted? We got 3 exterior doors leading into the back pool patio. Went to replacing one set today after work. Hole pattern is different of course.

The new ones are suggested for a shed, so hopefully they have a little more weather resistance.

New on the left, old on the right.
B1F1E049-D1EB-4F6C-97F4-9ED3DC29AD02.jpeg

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the clarification. The struggle was real.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Alright, remember I said everything outside has rusted? We got 3 exterior doors leading into the back pool patio. Went to replacing one set today after work. Hole pattern is different of course.

The new ones are suggested for a shed, so hopefully they have a little more weather resistance.

You got the ones with the metric hole pattern, you need SAE pattern.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator