Cooter, Help! Zambo gets Betty too hot

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you dont have a laser level, your pool beam is a great benchmark and its level all around the perimeter. Turn one of the longer framing boards up on edge on the pool beam and let the other end rest against the post, lay a 4 foot level on the board and raise the low end until the bubble reads level and then mark the post at the top of the board. Measure up to the bottom of the desired beam elevation and set a 12d nail. This nail will allow you to rest one end of the beam while you secure the other end.

Your leveling method worked flawlessly. What a trip.

It gave me an odd mark for the header height on the last post. I am thinking there is noway that is correct. To the eye and gut feel it looked way off from every angle. But I trusted it and mortised the post. Dry fit the header.... boom, perfectly level.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Decided to build a dog house yesterday. Got a few sheets of plywood and some 2x3s and went to town. I decided I don't care about making it perfectly watertight since we don't get much rain out here, so I just used some rough cut cedar fence slats for the roof. I thought about hinging the roof but decided instead just to make a couple of trusses that "nest" over the main box, keeping the entire roof removable. Now gotta hit it with some primer/sealer and some paint. I'll probably put some trim pieces around the bottom edge and the corners. Also not pictured is I saved the door cutouts and I'm gonna make some faux "shutters" with them. About a hundred bucks worth of material including the screws and liquid nails, etc. IMG_1655 2.JPG IMG_4321.JPG IMG_1409.JPG IMG_4508.JPG

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Decided to build a dog house yesterday. Got a few sheets of plywood and some 2x3s and went to town. I decided I don't care about making it perfectly watertight since we don't get much rain out here, so I just used some rough cut cedar fence slats for the roof. I thought about hinging the roof but decided instead just to make a couple of trusses that "nest" over the main box, keeping the entire roof removable. Now gotta hit it with some primer/sealer and some paint. I'll probably put some trim pieces around the bottom edge and the corners. Also not pictured is I saved the door cutouts and I'm gonna make some faux "shutters" with them. About a hundred bucks worth of material including the screws and liquid nails, etc.

that’s awesome

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well I am still working, running a business while you bunch of slackers play Tim the Toolman.

That said, we rent a house my dad owns, and he decided to get the house pressure washed and painted and the wood re stained, they are working on that now, and we might be getting a new roof :lol:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Finally taking some shape. Pretty damn square and straight and plumb. Shockingly actually considering the amount of beer of consumed.

FA5-DE767-FCF4-4-CA9-84-C4-010-D8-EA41-FCC.jpg

0675-AF2-D-A75-E-4050-BD4-C-CE7544-DDF55-C.jpg

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
what’s the project?
The annual true sharpening of all edged items from Zwilling kitchen items to axes... It's therapeutic... And "holy SCHIT!" sharp!

That carborundum stone is likely as old as me... I learned on it at age 4, but modern, electric technology is much easier/faster!

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I spent several hours this morning attempting to trim the bottom of one of the posts. Just to clean up the bottom and hide the bracket. I consider myself pretty accomplished in the art of finishing trim work. The nuts and bolts make it tricky. It was going to be a multi-layer trim job. What I learned is: exterior wood is a tad more difficult to finesse than interior trim wood. Plus those posts are more rectangular than squares. Anyway, after a tremendous amount of sweat and more cuss words than even my dad used to throw around.... I abandoned the idea. And holy hell was it hot and humid.

I can now comfortably say.... it’s a pergola.... it looks fine!

I did apply another coat of stain on the whole thing. So not a wasted day.

79-F12-D3-C-DBC8-42-D9-8529-6-E729-BA609-BA.jpg

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The annual true sharpening of all edged items from Zwilling kitchen items to axes... It's therapeutic... And "holy SCHIT!" sharp!

That carborundum stone is likely as old as me... I learned on it at age 4, but modern, electric technology is much easier/faster!

Gotcha. I almost even said that looks like a knife sharpening setup. I would love to learn.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Gotcha. I almost even said that looks like a knife sharpening setup. I would love to learn.
I love your kind of projects, but I don't do them myself, but I do watch the guys that do and learn... I know my limitations, but like to have seen it if I ever tried! I have a lot of respect for your cutting a hole in existing concrete and doing it all. I do like repetitive things that build/require skill, it's therapeutic for me like meditation, thus knife sharpening, shooting, hand loading ammunition... and my little nazi plastic models. ;)

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I love your kind of projects, but I don't do them myself, but I do watch the guys that do and learn... I know my limitations, but like to have seen it if I ever tried! I have a lot of respect for your cutting a hole in existing concrete and doing it all. I do like repetitive things that build/require skill, it's therapeutic for me like meditation, thus knife sharpening, shooting, hand loading ammunition... and my little nazi plastic models. ;)

To be fair.... I didnt cut a hole in existing concrete. Fuk that! But each location was covered with gravel and those monster stone slates.... which I obviously had to move first. So new hole in soil, filled with fresh concrete and those brackets. I’m sore, sunburned, and slap worn out man.

Which I love.

All that’s left is the top. So those boards need to be notched and fully stained.

I tried to pay my oldest to stain everything. 100 bucks. She gave up after about 15 minutes. Too hot. These kids are soft. She wanted something like $20 for her effort. She was pissed when I told her to pound sand.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
To be fair.... I didnt cut a hole in existing concrete. Fuk that! But each location was covered with gravel and those monster stone slates.... which I obviously had to move first. So new hole in soil, filled with fresh concrete and those brackets. I’m sore, sunburned, and slap worn out man.

Which I love.

All that’s left is the top. So those boards need to be notched and fully stained.

I tried to pay my oldest to stain everything. 100 bucks. She gave up after about 15 minutes. Too hot. These kids are soft. She wanted something like $20 for her effort. She was pissed when I told her to pound sand.
yeah... "the perils of teaching them the value of the dollar when they are basically want for nuthin!" I think the last time I got one of mine to do something that took a lot of boring time for money is when Son #1 ripped all our old CDs to digital for $100... that was like 10 years ago. In fairness, we told them their "job" is school, and they've all performed, and all value money now, so it seems to have worked out.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Get one of those airless sprayers. They work with stain as well and you can not only throw down lots of square feet at a time but it'll cover everything.

If working stain into porous wood like rough sawn fence, etc, you can spray it on fairly thick and then use a brush to work it into the cracks. Well worth the couple hundred bucks if you ask me, even a small one will be more than enough for the home project guy for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb