Perine on Butters & Nuss playcalling: 'My grandma can call that out in her sleep'

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that Mac knew it was over by the end of year 1. Most of us knew it, but those who didn’t surely knew it by the end of year 2. That’s why going in to year 3 was the most hopeless feeling ever and I was baffled by the optimism by the few stragglers that were left.
Pretty sure the rumors about him begging for Oregon and Washington jobs were true.

I still cant believe we gave huge raises to Butters, Nussdrunk and Nord only 15 months ago.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Although I'm really happy with what's transpired under Mullen's leadership, I wonder if just for the program's sake, we would have been better off giving Muschamp one more year (2015), with the understanding he would be gone after 2015 if, say, no SEC E title? Would better coaches them McElwain been available at the end of 2015? No idea. I do know that there just weren't a whole lot of good coaches available when McElwain was hired.

And as for the idea that he smokes weed . . . I just don't buy that. He cannot communicate, was in over his head, and his lack of communication skills made him look like an absolute idiot.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that Mac knew it was over by the end of year 1. Most of us knew it, but those who didn’t surely knew it by the end of year 2. That’s why going in to year 3 was the most hopeless feeling ever and I was baffled by the optimism by the few stragglers that were left.
Yeah, even your mother couldn't stand him.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Although I'm really happy with what's transpired under Mullen's leadership, I wonder if just for the program's sake, we would have been better off giving Muschamp one more year (2015), with the understanding he would be gone after 2015 if, say, no SEC E title? Would better coaches them McElwain been available at the end of 2015? No idea. I do know that there just weren't a whole lot of good coaches available when McElwain was hired.

And as for the idea that he smokes weed . . . I just don't buy that. He cannot communicate, was in over his head, and his lack of communication skills made him look like an absolute idiot.

Muschamp got one year too many.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member

Merciful sakes no! We probably should have given Kerwin Bell a chance right after Meyer. After all, he would have been cheap, and that would have suited Fooley. But keep the Chump. Never!!

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Merciful sakes no! We probably should have given Kerwin Bell a chance right after Meyer. After all, he would have been cheap, and that would have suited Fooley. But keep the Chump. Never!!

So you were OK with hiring Mac? There weren't a whole lot of good options out there in Nov-Dec 2014. I don't know what was out there in Nov-Dec 2013, after that debacle of a season. Maybe someone better could have been hired then. I just remember reading that the market for new HCs wasn't that great right after he was fired, and that led to Mac. I was just asking a hypothetical - would another year of Muschamp been better than hiring Mac?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So you were OK with hiring Mac? There weren't a whole lot of good options out there in Nov-Dec 2014. I don't know what was out there in Nov-Dec 2013, after that debacle of a season. Maybe someone better could have been hired then. I just remember reading that the market for new HCs wasn't that great right after he was fired, and that led to Mac. I was just asking a hypothetical - would another year of Muschamp been better than hiring Mac?

No. Keeping Muschamp would have been a huge mistake, period. Just stop.

Btw, here's the new 2015 coaches in D1 football:

upload_2018-10-26_14-16-44.png

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No. Keeping Muschamp would have been a huge mistake, period. Just stop.

Btw, here's the new 2015 coaches in D1 football:

So I guess putting up with Mac's nonsense was still better than Muschamp.

However, a very good chart. Hmm, I wonder who we could have gotten on that list to replace Muschamp? Not Harbaugh, he was going to Meechigan no matter what. And Bobo doesn't get that job unless Mac is out (at UF or somewhere else). Maybe hire Chryst who went to Wisconsin? Maybe hire Morris who went to SMU? Maybe hire Herman, who went to UH, and is now at Texas? Riley got fired from Nebraska. Andersen is no longer at Oregon State, I guess he was fired. Not a lot of top hires from 2014 to 2015. So I guess we should have fired Muschamp the year before we did.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The guy made no sense like 85% of the time.

This ^. Plus he was faking his coaching know-how. Imagine those eager to learn players listening to him explain the playbook schemes. Imagine going over film with Buttnerves.? Imagine his spiel to recruits as to why they should come play for him? All he offered was diszentegration.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Butters MacShark as a coach reminds me of my first wife...I did not realize HOW MUCH she was disliked by my friends and family until after we were divorced.

Did anyone at UF or the Sports Media like him? Maybe Coach Nord:burn2:

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
This ^. Plus he was faking his coaching know-how. Imagine those eager to learn players listening to him explain the playbook schemes. Imagine going over film with Buttnerves.? Imagine his spiel to recruits as to why they should come play for him? All he offered was diszentegration.
Didn’t a couple of recruits say he was aloof and barely available? Poked his head into the visiting room and was “hey, glad you’re here. We have PB&Js.”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This ^. Plus he was faking his coaching know-how. Imagine those eager to learn players listening to him explain the playbook schemes. Imagine going over film ...
Im sorry their responses were the same as ours every time I heard that buffon speak, "WTF did that moron say?"

You knowwhutuhhmean?

Kewl

it was a blah blah blah kindadeal.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I'm in agreement with BMF that WM got a year too much. There's no denying the incompetence of the buffoon that followed him, nor the effect his incompetence had on our program. But honestly, especially considering who we ended up with anyway, if we're going hypotheticals, how much better off would we be if we'd just hired Mullen 8 years ago? There are reliable sources that say he wanted this job from day one, but Foley had no interest, and arrogantly gave us a chimp and a shark humper instead. So while we can debate whether or not we were a year early or late on pushing a coach out, I think the only position that seems irrefutable is we were 7-8 years late on pushing an AD out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.