Perspective on our FB program

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Fla's 4-8 record in 2013 was the our first losing season since 1979. During that span (36 years) EVERY OTHER SEC school has at least FOUR losing seasons..........pretty gdm good if you ask me........also 3 national titles 8 sec titles(not sure). Only bama can claim more. but WHYDFML.........as always.........

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bama can claim more because of recent success. But they had some pretty lean years during that span too. Ahhhh.... Good times.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The point of this thread is what exactly?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The reason I point this out is the preceding years and the next 10 years were loaded with humiliation, angst, futility, frustration and the refrain Waitillnextyear..........so you think you have had it bad with gator football..........you have no fckn idea what "bad" or futility is............

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The reason I point this out is the preceding years and the next 10 years were loaded with humiliation, angst, futility, frustration and the refrain Waitillnextyear..........so you think you have had it bad with gator football..........you have no fckn idea what "bad" or futility is............
Sure I do. My dad was a season ticket holder and we went to all the games in the 70s, 80s and 90s. I've seen the good times and bad.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It really isnt comparable. In the 70s, air conditioning wasnt common, the state hadnt been built up and we had a fraction of Mississippi's population. We were basically West Virginia or Idaho-like.
Today there is no excuse for the flagship program in Florida (or Texas or California) to have a losing season. 100 otber teams would like to have those built-in advantages. To do so is evidence of cancer in the programs.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
In the last 36 years (and that applies to all SEC teams) we have had one losing season. The rest have 4. So essentially since 1980. The Bamas and UGAs and UTs were as well off or better than us in all kinds of ways. And still they had 4x as many losing seasons as us. AND only Bama has more success. You realize that other than Bama the rest would have given a gonad for the success we have had since then........................We hit a sh$t storm no doubt. The Gods aligned against us and the pendulum swung all the way the other way. Richard Nixon understood it. One day you are on top of the world and the next you are waving goodbye on the helicopter in disgrace. Who do we hire instead of Mac, Another hired gun like Urban? I didnt see one out there like that. Someone asked what the point of this thread was.............PERSPECTIVE...........as in how do we compare to other programs over time. Or even our own program over time.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fine, we got the lean years out of the way with Muschamp. We won the East this year and are probably going to be better than expectations next year. Mac has to stock the cupboard with his players and with depth. Just because ****head said he left a roster full of talent....well consider the source. I believe the program is getting a whole lot of rehabbing right now. If we don't win the East this year, I'm fine because Mac is building something.

Now for the other side. We **** the bed in recruiting this year from a defensive standpoint. I agree with posters like Law that say DTs and OLine can have 3*s. Hell, when was the last time we had a 5* DT pan out? Floyd? Don't say Easley because he was always more of a 3-4 End. So besides Floyd, you're looking at Gary Brown, Omar Hunter, Torrey Davis. Mac and Co. missed on this Defensive class big time. I think next year will be better, and we need it to get better.

Also, on recruiting, now that Callahan is gone, we are hearing all kinds of reports on how he messed up the Tampa area for us. Hopefully we don't have the same issue in our other territories.

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
It really isnt comparable. In the 70s, air conditioning wasnt common, the state hadnt been built up and we had a fraction of Mississippi's population. We were basically West Virginia or Idaho-like.
Today there is no excuse for the flagship program in Florida (or Texas or California) to have a losing season. 100 otber teams would like to have those built-in advantages. To do so is evidence of cancer in the programs.
I suppose you know that your description of FL in the seventies is ridiculous. Check real population figures and UF enrollment. Even in the sixties everyone knew UF had the talent to win big. The excuse for not winning was that the beach boys were just not tough enough.

Last edited:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Air Conditioning....:wtf:

You've lost your damn mind....

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It really isnt comparable. In the 70s, air conditioning wasnt common, the state hadnt been built up and we had a fraction of Mississippi's population. We were basically West Virginia or Idaho-like...

What the hell are you talking about? I was born in the 70's. Grew up in the 70's and 80's and what you describe is not even close to reality.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Copy-of-Old-House-near-Lafayette-Blue-Spring,-Nov-2009-730474.JPG

The ol' Law homestead looks like it's got plenty of air conditioning.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Same question I asked myself. That, and I thought, Who the **** asked the OP to begin with?

If someone has to ask you a question before you can start an OP, how is that supposed to work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I was born in 1970 in Jacksonville and several of the schools I went to before HS didn't have A/C. DuPont Junior HS (near Bolles School) didn't have A/C when I was there in 83-85. I was bussed downtown to Matthew W. Gilbert for 7th grade (1982/83) and they didn't have A/C. Just to point out that SOME of what Law said is correct.

We had to cross the Matthews Bridge going into downtown Jax (to Matthew W. Gilbert) and I watched as they added the upper deck to the Gator Bowl. When they tore down the old Gator Bowl in 94 (for the Jaguars new stadium) they left that upper deck that was added in 82/83.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
You can start it however you want, just don't put in this:
The excuse for not winning was that the beach boys were just not tough enough.
Yes, this was how Dooley beat us all the time........"you aint gonna let those surfer boys beat you in a man's game, are you boys?" Plenty of talent just needed that Charlie Pell push for donor money and stadium, facilities upgrade. Bear Bryant himself said we were a sleeping giant.......and then SOS came home................THANK GOD

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Boy times have sure changed... even at 0-10-1 and closing out the 70's, I was having a blast believing in the Gators... 'wait 'till next year' enthusiasm was the hook that set for the rest of my life :highfive: :fistbump:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator