Phat Phil to become Life Champions AD?

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like he is the top candidate. So much regret in that program for firing the best coach they had, and the continual downward spiral of the program since doing so. Now to try to kiss and make up with karma, they'll bring a totally unqualified guy in. The AD job of today isn't one for "ex coaches" anymore...they'll continue their dumpster fire ways. Please do this.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/01/phillip_fulmer_top_candidate_f.html

15shares

Phil Fulmer is the leading candidate to be Tennessee's next athletic director, according to a report. (File photo)
Former Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer is a leading candidate to be the school's next athletic director, according to a report by ESPN.com's Chris Low.

Fulmer, who was quoted in the report, citing sources, didn't rule out the idea.

"Since I was 18 years old, UT's best interests have always been my interest," Fulmer told ESPN.com. "I want what is best for UT. Dr. (Beverly) Davenport (UT's newly named chancellor) has laid out a clear process, and we have to respect the time and her vision to complete that process."

Current AD Dave Hart announced his retirement in August ahead of his contract coming up in June.

The report also states Chattanooga athletic director David Blackburn and Tennessee's executive senior associate athletic director Jon Gilbert are also candidates.

On Saturday, The Tennessean reported Fulmer "made it clear" he would like to be considered.

"I have really enjoyed getting involved with Dr. (Joe) DiPietro on the President's Council and doing some things with him," Fulmer told The Tennessean of the university's president. "They've got a process (in hiring an athletics director) in place and I'm just anxious to see what that process brings."

Fulmer, 66, was 152-52 in 16 full seasons, including the national title in 1998, as head coach at his alma mater.

He was fired in 2008.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure what makes them think Fulmer would make a good AD.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I laughed when talking to my brother and he suggested they just hire Fulmer.

funny.gif

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly Fulmer at head coach again makes a lot more sense.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
I'm not sure what makes them think Fulmer would make a good AD.
Me neither. Different job than HC. If Fuller hasn't spent time as an AD somewhere else, why would UT do that? Texas and LSU are examples of incompetent ADs running amok.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Why not? Bet Fulmer greatly improves UT's football program. He was a great recruiter, so who better to be
in oversight and advising of UT's recruiting minions? In fact, back then Phil was known as an ace-recruiter,
seeing as 45% of UT's recruit enrollees got managerial positions at the 6 Ace Hardwares around Knoxville.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Why not? Bet Fulmer greatly improves UT's football program. He was a great recruiter, so who better to be
in oversight and advising of UT's recruiting minions? In fact, back then Phil was known as an ace-recruiter,
seeing as 45% of UT's recruit enrollees got managerial positions at the 6 Ace Hardwares around Knoxville.

I dont know. Has having SOS on campus improved our team?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I dont know. Has having SOS on campus improved our team?

Isn't SOS's position (& maybe attitude) a "hands off" position? Whereas, Fulmer AD is hands on all over.
Fulmer was called on to become assistant-AD at East Tennessee State U. They had shut down their football
program 2003. They signed their first class in 2014 and immediately redshirted everyone. How brilliant is that?

PS>> Phil stole the show in "The Blind Side" movie, where he played a seeing-impaired coach with little-known
newcomer Will Muschamp as his seeing eye dog.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Isn't SOS's position (& maybe attitude) a "hands off" position? Whereas, Fulmer AD is hands on all over.
Fulmer was called on to become assistant-AD at East Tennessee State U. They had shut down their football
program 2003. They signed their first class in 2014 and immediately redshirted everyone. How brilliant is that?

PS>> Phil stole the show in "The Blind Side" movie, where he played a seeing-impaired coach with little-known
newcomer Will Muschamp as his seeing eye dog.
Holy crap! They signed a class and redshirted everyone? That's brilliant!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Damnit, I'm gonna have to search all of GC to figure out where that "Life Champions" thing came from.

Problemly from a box of Cracker Jacks.

True story >>
In dental school, a guy two doors down had the worst stuttering affliction. A very sweet guy. On far
too many occasions each and all of us had to stand there displaying only genuine interest when
he was halfway through his conveyance while we had already figured out the conclusion. But he
had the most beautiful girlfriend. She was perfect in her caretaking of him.

One day he came to our kitchen consultation room and showed us a beautiful tasteful engagement diamond. He
told us he was proposing to her this weekend at Memphis' ritziest restaurant - the huge rotating one atop the
Holiday Inn Tower overlooking the Mississippi. I thought of her staring at the ring and so long barricading her
excited "yes". I talked him into us getting a box of Cracker Jacks. We steamed things open and replace that
lil-bag prize with his diamond. (I embedded how important it was that he realize this was his idea, as it was just
one of many suggestions and he took it to reality.) He reported back that all went swell. We never saw him after
that, because in her he had all he needed in his world thereafter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb