Phil Steele projects the SEC standings

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Recent article posted on ESPN where Phil Steele projects the SEC standings for the year. He has us finishing 2nd in the East and as is "most improved team." Uses the argument that we rank high on the experience chart with returning starters plus some of the suspended players returning. Also argues that Mullen tends to get the most out of his players.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...926/college-football-projecting-sec-standings

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I can't see the article but my guess is he is smoking the wacky weed again if he thinks we will go 9-3 or better. 2nd in the East this season wouldn't be a hard pick however since it looks like only one team in the east will be a top level SEC team.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
2nd place could easily be 5-3 or worse. I'm sticking with 8-4. I mean that's a 4 game improvement!

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
bzgRc7o7_400x400.jpg

:lol3:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Phil Steele and his usual "number of returning starters" metric.

Had us first in SEC East last year, right? And dark horse NC?

:lmao2:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Phil Steele and his usual "number of returning starters" metric.

Had us first in SEC East last year, right? And dark horse NC?

:lmao2:

but but all those reserves were suspended, which caused Butters to get fired... he was leading us to an SEC Championship before those suspensions. There were 3 NFL players in those whom were suspended.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Florida Gators
The Gators looked poised to win their third straight SEC East title last year but lost their starting running back and top wide receiver plus eight others to suspension prior to the year. They did not know if they were coming back the first month, and then they were gone. Florida at one point was down 28 scholarship players with all the injuries and fired its head coach by the end of the year. This year Florida has 19 returning starters, plus some of those suspended players are back and the Gators jump to No. 4 on my experience chart. Head coach Dan Mullen always got the most out of the talent he had at Mississippi State and will look like a genius this season piloting my No. 1 most improved team.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Florida Gators
The Gators looked poised to win their third straight SEC East title last year but lost their starting running back and top wide receiver plus eight others to suspension prior to the year. They did not know if they were coming back the first month, and then they were gone. Florida at one point was down 28 scholarship players with all the injuries and fired its head coach by the end of the year. This year Florida has 19 returning starters, plus some of those suspended players are back and the Gators jump to No. 4 on my experience chart. Head coach Dan Mullen always got the most out of the talent he had at Mississippi State and will look like a genius this season piloting my No. 1 most improved team.

Nice sentiment and I hope he’s right - and things turn out even better.

While we tend to focus on our many deficiencies, others especially in the SECe have them, too. If all goes well, it will come down to UGA again and we’ll have a chance.

But I’m more concerned for progress and/or a fundamental change in team culture.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hope springs eternal.......

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Florida Gators
All above is accurate.

Looks like atleast 3 losses. Possible losses:
Miss. State has excellent returning talent the we play on the road. We have a history of let down losses to Mississippi schools.

LSU's grad transfer QB from OSU sounds like he is an accurate passer. At least we get LSU at home.

FSU is on the road and they have higher rated talent than UF.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
All above is accurate.

Looks like atleast 3 losses. Possible losses:
Miss. State has excellent returning talent the we play on the road. We have a history of let down losses to Mississippi schools.

LSU's grad transfer QB from OSU sounds like he is an accurate passer. At least we get LSU at home.

FSU is on the road and they have higher rated talent than UF.

Short of turnovers really bouncing our way I don't see how we could be better than a 4 loss team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator