Pintos and Other Shytty or Goofy Cars of the 70s

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
1971 to 1977 Chevrolet Vega

I have a small confession to make. I know the Vega is routinely derided as the worst-ever vehicle ever produced by Chevrolet, but I kind of like the way it looks. I think, in my heart of hearts, that the Vega is actually a little sexy.

Some people actually agree with me. Heck, even Motor Trend named it the 1971 "Car of the Year," and around 2 million examples of the Vega were sold between 1971 and 1977.

Regardless, most people are rightly fixated on the Vega they remember driving: a rust bucket that shook and rattled on down the road, burned oil like lanterns, and overheated on a regular basis.

Critics of the car contend that it was a good idea wasted on poor execution, and that Chevrolet rushed development, cut costs, and was too focused on fuel economy. I'd say that's a recipe for the worst-car-ever list.

1976 to 1987 Chevrolet Chevette

Let's just say the Chevette was affordable, shall we?

Otherwise, we'd need to talk about how it not only replaced the outgoing Vega, it may have been worse than the Vega. Or how it was built on old technology, was never really updated, and just got churned out on the assembly line for people looking to buy a cheap car.

It was rear drive when buyers wanted front drive (like the imports), and was as slow as a fat snail. Starting horsepower was 52, and the power plant never got beyond 74 hp. That's riding lawnmower territory, for goodness sake.

On top of all that, it was perhaps the cheapest car ever sorted out, with things like a single speaker…as standard equipment.

Jun 2, 2015
I had an old used Nash Rambler in the early 60's with a push-button type starter. I hated that car. It was hard to start and literally sputtered along. Traded in on a '57 chevy which I loved.

upload_2020-1-5_20-21-50.png

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
IMG_3555-2-940x705.jpg

"Porsche" 914 actually a VW sold as a replacement to the Kharman Ghia in Europe.

The Matchbox!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
De Tomaso Pantera.

7ab6c12325a46d04ffa80742efa48a23.jpg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
‘75 Reliant Robin, otherwise known as Stumpy.

ac44e29a02b29bd0265fceb4c85780c4.jpg

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
First car I bought with my sister was a used '78 'Vette. It was bitchin'. Was white outside with red vinyl and blue carpet put in by previous owner. I'm pretty sure it burned more oil than gas, and when you accelerated around a clover leaf getting on the interstate, the engine tapped like a sewing machine and it laid down the thickest, most awesome blue-grey smokescreen of all time... Like an M1 tank smoke discharger that blows fuel straight on the exhaust. Previous owner did put in a great AM/FM stereo w/cassette deck and, like the car, it was bitchin' too. The hatchback was awesome for the drive-in movies cuz you could put the back seats down, back into your spot, pop the hatch, and lay in there with blankets and pillows and Boones Farm while watching the movies... Life was good with the 'Vette, and we passed it down to my little brother who made epic memories as well. It was 1000 times cooler than my parents Fairmont!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mustang II with the ultimate ‘70s status
92aa891aa9a8d5206293f735937f6529.jpg
symbol, a vinyl Landau roof.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It was from WW2... the Kubelwagen
Different cars. Kubelwagon is 4wd, some were Schwimmwagons. Kubelwagon is in a Beetle chassis, sort of. 181 is widened ( on a Ghia frame). Probably zero parts interchange.

Kubelwagon:

military-collection-kubelwagon.jpg

181/Trekker/Safari/Thing:

image004.jpg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Vega? Worse than a Chevette? I think not.

Delivered pizzas in a company Chevette. What a POS.

31332565027_921ae69d59_b.jpg

I believe GM’s first attempt at an aluminum motor. It failed miserably.

Edit: Scrap that. I thought I had quoted a Vega. That’s a Chevette. Still a crap car, though.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Different cars. Kubelwagon is 4wd, some were Schwimmwagons. Kubelwagon is in a Beetle chassis, sort of. 181 is widened ( on a Ghia frame). Probably zero parts interchange.

Kubelwagon:

image004.jpg
I get all that, I'm talking about the look... It's a civilianized, street
Kubelwagen.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I get all that, I'm talking about the look... It's a civilianized, street
Kubelwagen.
Much simpler car. 2wd, just a widened and strengthened bug.

The Thing was actually just supposed to be a stopgap while the Euros came up w their own Jeep type vehicle, but in fighting and price kept it from happening.

Vcl3.jpg

Hotchkiss

Europajeep_Front.jpg

Fiat

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
First car I bought with my sister was a used '78 'Vette. It was *****in'. Was white outside with red vinyl and blue carpet put in by previous owner. I'm pretty sure it burned more oil than gas, and when you accelerated around a clover leaf getting on the interstate, the engine tapped like a sewing machine and it laid down the thickest, most awesome blue-grey smokescreen of all time... Like an M1 tank smoke discharger that blows fuel straight on the exhaust. Previous owner did put in a great AM/FM stereo w/cassette deck and, like the car, it was *****in' too. The hatchback was awesome for the drive-in movies cuz you could put the back seats down, back into your spot, pop the hatch, and lay in there with blankets and pillows and Boones Farm while watching the movies... Life was good with the 'Vette, and we passed it down to my little brother who made epic memories as well. It was 1000 times cooler than my parents Fairmont!
Stereo w/cassette deck? Man, I would have guessed it had an eight track. Guess you weren’t as cool as you thought.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Kubelwagon:

image004.jpg
One other note: I got to drive the Type 183 quite a bit on and off road and it was pretty f'n handy. I knew it as a "VW" and had no idea it was really an Audi and that the 183 spawned the Quattro.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Much simpler car. 2wd, just a widened and strengthened bug.

The Thing was actually just supposed to be a stopgap while the Euros came up w their own Jeep type vehicle, but in fighting and price kept it from happening.

Vcl3.jpg

Hotchkiss

Europajeep_Front.jpg

Fiat
Ha! I just posted about the Type 183.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
These were the much more sporty version of the standard Pinto wagon, which often sported wood and didn't have the Porthole window upgrade.
73-Ford-Pinto-Wagon-1-e1511796987744.jpg

What other silly ass vehicles ya got?
First new car my parents ever bought was that Pinto "Squire" wagon in 74 with those 100% genuine imitation pure wood panel stickers. Was first am/FM stereo (no cassette) they ever had in a car too... But no AC! That's the car my dad taught me to drive a stick in, first by letting me shift the stick from the passenger seat, then drive, then "power shift." Good times...

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Stereo w/cassette deck? Man, I would have guessed it had an eight track. Guess you weren’t as cool as you thought.
My parents had a Panasonic AM/FM stereo with turntable and.... QUADRAPHONIC 8 track deck... WHO'S COOL NOW!!!! :lol:

PS Somewhere in a box, I think I still have a Santana and Alice Cooper (Goes to Hell) QUADRAPHONIC 8 track from back then. Top THAT buddy! ;)

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Coaches post about the story of the Vega sums up GM in a nutshell to this day. The next iteration was the Pontiac Fiero ("Repairo" as we called it). They botched it, then, when they were finally getting it close to right with look and power (kinda), the damage to name was already too great and they cut it. Rinse and repeat at least once a decade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.