Player Development Myth

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n88847 said:
What 2013-2014 Gator film highlights are NFL evaluators going to study?
Seems to me, if one steps back & looks-thinks, one can legitimately feel sorry for Muschamp and family? This has to
be the most sorrowful stretch of the Muschamp family's life. They're sliding into a sinkhole, in the publicity spotlight.
He's got to be in misery.

Don't some of these posted personal shots at WM match those Facebook postings that drive some teens to suicide?

Good thought, Rog. I would hate to be WM right now. Fortunately, once this is all said and done he will have a few bucks to console himself with. Maybe he'll be able to take the family on a nice vacation or something...

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Gatoravatara;88703 said:
Ray Finkle;n88686 said:
Alrighty then. If we ever have an election for a Hate Will Muschamp club, I'm voting you for president and Law can be your VP. You have definitely been outspoken. I'll give you that.
For the record, I dont hate Muschamp; I just want him to go away.
Odd. I most definitely did not say this :lol:

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Rog, I usually like your spin on a discussion, but this was weird even for you. An equivalency between bullied-teenager suicide and WM -- maybe it was a joke? I have no remorse for delineating the many ways in which he has failed on a sports message board. It is hard to watch his humiliation, but somehow I don't feel responsible.

Even the UAA '14 football schedule poster (in my av) is a picture of WM in over his head. Poster, Year One: Fierce glare. Year Four: Top of head.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n88847 said:
What 2013-2014 Gator film highlights are NFL evaluators going to study?
Seems to me, if one steps back & looks-thinks, one can legitimately feel sorry for Muschamp and family? This has to
be the most sorrowful stretch of the Muschamp family's life. They're sliding into a sinkhole, in the publicity spotlight.
He's got to be in misery.

Don't some of these posted personal shots at WM match those Facebook postings that drive some teens to suicide?

Honestly Rog I don't know about other people but I was once in a job where I was in over my head. Everyday I was struggling. The crazy part is that my boss would say that I was a wild success compared to the WM standard. But my point is, do you know what I did? I left that job on my own accord.

I knew I wasn't meeting their expectations and I didn't think I would ever be a good fit. I actually ended up completely changing fields shortly after that. I learned from that experience. I don't think WM has ever learned from a mistake. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if he never thought he made a mistake.

If he is hanging around for the money then he deserves every ounce of derision that he gets.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
G 2;n88994 said:
Honestly Rog I don't know about other people but I was once in a job where I was in over my head. Everyday I was struggling. The crazy part is that my boss would say that I was a wild success compared to the WM standard. But my point is, do you know what I did? I left that job on my own accord.

I knew I wasn't meeting their expectations and I didn't think I would ever be a good fit. I actually ended up completely changing fields shortly after that. I learned from that experience. I don't think WM has ever learned from a mistake. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if he never thought he made a mistake.

If he is hanging around for the money then he deserves every ounce of derision that he gets.

Exactly my feelings as well. I was having a conversation about this yesterday regarding the ut win. If it would've been Spurrier, he would've talked about how lucky they were to get a win, probably didn't deserve it, need to coach up the kids better, play better, etc. Sure he would've been happy to get the win, but he has enough confidence in himself and the body of work to acknowledge that they probably got away with one. In contrast, Muschamp took shots at the crowd and acted like they'd just won the Super Bowl. I had no issue with the crowd comments, and I understand you take a win anyway you can get it. But in many respects, those types of wins should be humbling experiences where you acknowledge that you can't play that way and need to make major improvements. That's just not his nature, and I think it's the signature flaw that keeps him from being a good HC.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If you reread 99% of my post on the WM-HC subject, I fully condemn his performance. Remember I tried to stick
him with the nickname "Messedchomp". My teen suicide was a joke with a thought (hence in the form of a question)
of attacking the person not his job failures.

ntcrze

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree with the premise. Being a drafted player or making it to the NFL as an undrafted free agent doesn't mean you were a good college player. Personally, I could care less about whether a guy makes it in the NFL, it doesn't help UF win games. This stuff about player development, as far as the NFL is concerned, is hogwash to me. The NFL will find you if you are good enough, it doesn't matter what school you go to. And being talented enough for stint in the NFL and being a good college football player are entirely different things. There are numerous examples, I'll just cite a handful. Deonte Thompson was an awful receiver at UF, yer is drawing a paycheck in the NFL. Ronald Powell was an average player, at best, at UF. Louchez Purifoy and Marcus Roberson were not great players, and I could keep going. On the other hand, Tim Tebow was a great college player but not talented enough to play in the NFL. Becoming an NFL player is fine, but it shouldn't be a matrix to judge how good a player is in college. I don't care what they do in the NFL, or even make it to the league. I just want to see them be a great player at UF.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Alagator;n88895 said:
Oh boy....Will Muschamp has 4 seasons, but since this one isn't finished...we haven't had a 4th draft. Also, pretty sure I did compile 6 years for UM and it actually dropped by 0.25. Think I actually posted it as well. It's not a conspiracy here fellas. And I have no skin in the game. I posted the link so go look for yourselves. I also added an edit to my post with a disclaimer, and I am not a statistician. What I find is so funny is the kind of response that comes from anything that doesn't look at WM in the worst possible light. It's really quite amusing.

Here's something for ya...You'll see one year WM had only 2 draftees. You can string him up for that. But then again, a closer look down the line shows that Steve Spurrier also had a year with only 2 draftees (1993). With that in mind, yes, stats can be skewed... go look at them for yourself and have a ball with'em.

Note: As I have already said, I calculated the first 4 years for SOS... but also showed his last few years because I found it interesting. Looks like the trend has been pretty even through his last 4 years all the way through today. But it has really been pretty consistent since his arrival. Didn't look pre SOS. Check out the link for yourself.

Spurrier inherited teams that had been built under probation scholarship limits. Going from faulty memory we were limited to essential 70 scholies one year, maybe '89. i.e. 4 years later in '93 I would not expect many players drafted. SOS also managed to win the SEC in is first year and 4 out of the first 5. I think we can conclude SOS knew how to develop players. He certainly knew how to win with the players he was given. NEVER mention Spurrier in the same discussion as Muschamp. NEVER! :nono:

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix;n89512 said:
Spurrier inherited teams that had been built under probation scholarship limits. Going from faulty memory we were limited to essential 70 scholies one year, maybe '89. i.e. 4 years later in '93 I would not expect many players drafted. SOS also managed to win the SEC in is first year and 4 out of the first 5. I think we can conclude SOS knew how to develop players. He certainly knew how to win with the players he was given. NEVER mention Spurrier in the same discussion as Muschamp. NEVER! :nono:

:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.