Plumbing gas lines for dual fuel stove

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Anyone know anything about this? We have a 40" space for our stove/oven and the existing oven just went kaput. It doesn't seem anyone makes a 40" electric one anymore. I have a 250 gallon propane tank for my stand by generator BUT of course it is on the other side of the house. The other issue is the kitchen(where the range is located) is on an interior wall.

Anyone ever convert to a dual fuel or gas range from electric? Is this even possible or are we going to have to live with a huge gap in between our counters and range?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Anyone know anything about this? We have a 40" space for our stove/oven and the existing oven just went kaput. It doesn't seem anyone makes a 40" electric one anymore. I have a 250 gallon propane tank for my stand by generator BUT of course it is on the other side of the house. The other issue is the kitchen(where the range is located) is on an interior wall.

Anyone ever convert to a dual fuel or gas range from electric? Is this even possible or are we going to have to live with a huge gap in between our counters and range?
I’m afraid I don’t know the specific answer, but I do know this much from many years of renovating houses: the question isn’t can this be done; the question is how much money do you want to spend?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Of course it’s possible. Why would you want a gas (propane) fireplace in Florida? Propane is very expensive and you really don’t have a need.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Of course it’s possible. Why would you want a gas (propane) fireplace in Florida? Propane is very expensive and you really don’t have a need.
I missed the part about a gas fireplace. I thought he was replacing a 40 inch electric range and they no longer make a 40 but now make a 36" and a 48". I'm guessing that he found a 4o" gas range and he was asking about about dual fuel conversions. Yes they do make conversion jets. There are probably local restrictions on running a long gas line.

Last edited:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Majestic makes a 40" freestanding range. On the gas range, I would probably just put a smaller tank closer to the range, you don't need a large tank just for cooking.

Majestic - UMDI10NS3RALC

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I missed the part about a gas fireplace. I thought he was replacing a 40 inch electric range and they no longer make a 40 but now make a 36" and a 48". I'm guessing that he found a 4o" gas range and he was asking about about dual fuel conversions. Yes they do make conversion jets. There are probably local restrictions on running a long gas line.
Yes this is the case. We actually do have 2 fireplaces that run on propane but my wife never used them so she had the tank removed years ago. I also think locating a smaller tank closer to the kitchen side of the house would make more sense and actually the old hook up is still there but with newer requirements the tanks have to be located at least 10 feet from any windows and 10 feet from any "point of ignition" meaning electrical. The are a lot of windows on that side of the house and the tank would have to be moved from it's old location and have a line dug and run to the hook up.....of course that would go directly across my irrigation main and control wires which feed 9 different valves located across nearly an acre of property.....:banghead:

There is never an easy solution when it comes to this house....never.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Assuming that you have granite or similar countertops , it would be easier to make a small cabinet area to store baking trays and do something with the countertop or even replace that portion. Then go with an american-made 36" range.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Assuming that you have granite or similar countertops , it would be easier to make a small cabinet area to store baking trays and do something with the countertop or even replace that portion. Then go with an american-made 36" range.
That 40" Majestic is 9k....but a good dual fuel 40" would be around 4.5-5k plus new plumbing, tank, irrigation repair/reconstruction....I'm starting to like the idea of a 36" and counter alteration though.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That 40" Majestic is 9k....but a good dual fuel 40" would be around 4.5-5k plus new plumbing, tank, irrigation repair/reconstruction....I'm starting to like the idea of a 36" and counter alteration though.
That's probably going to be your most reasonable option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.