Pokemon Go's insatiable appetite for data

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So I get a data alert email from Verizon Wireless the other day that I'm within 10% of monthly allotment. I go online to check my account and my fiance's son, who's on my plan, has used 19 GB over the past week. WTF. I sent him a text asking him to please back off his usage and resort to WiFI whenever possible. Sure, he writes back.

Two days later, we're 1 GB over. Turns out he's been playing this dumb@ss Pokemon Go app on his phone and unknowingly using up huge chunks of data in the process. Apparently I'm not the only one outraged over it because wireless providers are getting besieged with complaints.

http://9to5mac.com/2016/07/20/us-house-sends-letter-to-niantic-over-pokemon-go/

Wouldn't you know, T-Mobile is giving it away free. I left T-Mobile six months ago. Bums.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So I get an a data alert email from Verizon Wireless the other day that I'm within 10% of monthly allotment. I go online to check my account and my fiance's son, who's on my plan, has used 19 GB over the past week. WTF. I sent him a text asking him to please back off his usage and resort to WiFI whenever possible. Sure, he writes back.

Two days later, we're 1 GB over. Turns out he's been playing this dumb@ss Pokemon Go app on his phone and unknowingly using up huge chunks of data in the process. Apparently I'm not the only one outraged over it because wireless providers are getting besieged with complaints.

http://9to5mac.com/2016/07/20/us-house-sends-letter-to-niantic-over-pokemon-go/

Wouldn't you know, T-Mobile is giving it away free. I left T-Mobile six months ago. Bums.

Is your fiancé's son name Ray Finkle?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Tell him to get his own plan.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We kicked him out of the house. We let him have his phone charger.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There have been kids on our corner lot a number of times the last couple of weeks, apparently the eggs get dropped off there (don't know the term). Had to go Eastwood from Gran Torino last night... told them lil $hits to get off my lawn.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
At the local A+ baseball team Saturday night they are having a Catch them All night on August 6th for the Pokémon Go players.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I love the rationalizing of playing it:
"It's real good for exercising - otherwise I would just be sitting at home"
So I guess walking around like a zombie is today's definition of exercise.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

What else is good exercise? Picking up a basketball and going outside.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I swear I've almost killed two people playing that stupid Pokémon thing while crossing the street. People walking around looking at their phones, oblivious to the rest of the world around them, is one of my biggest pet peaves right now. I just want to run them over. I do honk every now and again just to give them a little wake up scare. For those walking out of a building onto a crowded sidewalk that do it, I just walk into them (a little shoulder bump) and say 'I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going', laugh, and keep on walking. Morons.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I swear I've almost killed two people playing that stupid Pokémon thing while crossing the street. People walking around looking at their phones, oblivious to the rest of the world around them, is one of my biggest pet peaves right now. I just want to run them over. I do honk every now and again just to give them a little wake up scare. For those walking out of a building onto a crowded sidewalk that do it, I just walk into them (a little shoulder bump) and say 'I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going', laugh, and keep on walking. Morons.

b4c8509dae09bd17e8f23c99c1dfab5c0216ea3c5a9d1a81629bf2d65710957f_1.gif

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Looks like someone needs to get a job and pay for his own phone.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've never been to Ballast Point Park before and since the kids were spending the night at a friend's house we thought we would have dinner and check it out. Couldn't park anywhere. There were hundreds of people playing it. It was like I was in the twilight zone.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
My only hope is that these pokemon appear off the edge of a cliff and the whole herd goes off the edge after it...

That would satisfy me greatly

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Interesting info. We blew through our data allotment last month. Mainly because we were on vacation and there wasn't wifi. But my daughter's pokemon could be part of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator