POLL: Pick 'Em players, need input on idea

What do you think of the ability to drop your worst week of the year?

• I'm for the idea

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I'm against the idea

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
GatormanTX floated the idea of being able to drop your worst week of the year when the season ends. He feels this way because he missed a week. My first reaction was an instant rejection, but I thought of it a little more and decided to get the opinions of the players. This would give people a little flexibility, either because they completely tanked one week or forgot to make their picks. It's basically one get-out-of-jail-free card.

The only people that can post in this poll are the Pick 'Em players. If you aren't a player, stay out of the conversation as your opinion isn't irrelevant. MJM already rejected the idea so I'm thinking it may be a good idea after all.

Pick 'Em players, discuss.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Whatever you do, I would just roll with it. However, part of the game is making time for it. If you miss a week, you simply lose out.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Everyone knows the rules going into this thing. You live with the record you have, no breaks. I could definitely benefit from it, but I still don’t like the idea.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
The idea is fine. To be fair you should drop the best week also.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I like the idea. It can keep people interested that otherwise might give up after a few weeks.

Here’s one more idea. For people that forget to make a pick(s), how about automatically assigning them either the favorites or the underdogs for the game(s) they forgot to pick that week. This way they avoid an automatic goose egg. Just a thought.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bottom line is if you miss a week you may as well just stop playing, which is what I did when I missed a week.

Another idea is stop picking against the spread and just pick the game winners. Any moron can go 50/50 ATS, its harder to pick upsets.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Against the idea of dropping your worst week. The object of the Pick Em is to see who can pick the most games right of all the games picked. If dropping the worst week changes the result of who the winner is then that is not fair to the person who otherwise would have won and who in fact did pick the most games correctly.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I voted “don’t care either way.” I may have had a truly awful week, but to the best of my recollection I’m consistently mediocre.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m fine with it. But I am nowhere near the leaderboard, so it really doesn't impact me.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Your board, your game but, keep in mind the winner and loser will probably change based on this decision. Do you want that.
I've run a bowl pick em for years at my work and there's no way I would change the rules in the middle. Of course this is a free contest and mine is not but, the things people can say about a 100% up and up contest surprises me every year.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Your board, your game but, keep in mind the winner and loser will probably change based on this decision. Do you want that.
I've run a bowl pick em for years at my work and there's no way I would change the rules in the middle. Of course this is a free contest and mine is not but, the things people can say about a 100% up and up contest surprises me every year.
I probably won’t change it this year. But it could give me a leg up on next year.

As for changing the winner, it depends on who it would be. If a rule change could keep someone I don’t like from winning, it will make it easier to implement at the end of the year. Just pull the rug out from under the sucker after he thinks he won.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I probably won’t change it this year. But it could give me a leg up on next year.

As for changing the winner, it depends on who it would be. If a rule change could keep someone I don’t like from winning, it will make it easier to implement at the end of the year. Just pull the rug out from under the sucker after he thinks he won.
Since there is no way to know your true standing until after you drop the worst week at the very end it will definitely pull the rug from beneath somebody, and I think you would enjoy doing to someone you like even more. :lol:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
No. Bunch of whiners. Miss a week, tough crap. Its a free competition - who cares if you win overall? I do like GnG’s idea though - if you miss a week, it autoselects for you. Maybe you get all the away teams or all the underdogs.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
I’m against the idea. Some folks are pretty steady with 9-13 correct picks per week, and slowly edge up to the top by reasonably consistently picking over .500.

Others are a lot more erratic, with some 15 weeks and some 6 or 7 weeks.

This would penalize those who are steady, and reward Those who are erratic

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
No. Bunch of whiners. Miss a week, tough crap. Its a free competition - who cares if you win overall? I do like GnG’s idea though - if you miss a week, it autoselects for you. Maybe you get all the away teams or all the underdogs.
I'm dead set against any kind of autoselect.

There's no excuse for missing a week. Even if you don't have a few minutes to think over and make each pick, all you have to do is go in there, pull up the list, and click "Save" - that will make your selection for all the home teams by default. That would at least keep you from getting a goose egg.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

We’ll never get you for lack of candor.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

There's no excuse for missing a week. Even if you don't have a few minutes to think over and make each pick, all you have to do is go in there, pull up the list, and click "Save" - that will make your selection for all the home teams by default. That would at least keep you from getting a goose egg.
Then why are you contemplating dropping a week? Seem to stand pretty strongly against missing a week in the first place - exactly what started this thread.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
how about automatically assigning them either the favorites or the underdogs for the game(s) they forgot to pick that week. This way they avoid an automatic goose egg. Just a thought.

I’d vote the home or road teams I stead of favorites or dogs, but yes, this is the solution for the problem, not changing true rules mid-competition.

There's no excuse for missing a week.

Of course there are reasonable excuses. Family member sick or dies, work travel or commitments ramp up, travel to somewhere with limited connectivity, or just idiocy.

Also, if near autoselwct is possible by opening and saving with no thought, why would you oppose something one half step less involved? It would actually be interesting to see how auto picks did versus some of us.

Then why are you contemplating dropping a week? Seem to stand pretty strongly against missing a week in the first place - exactly what started this thread.

Precisely. I get that Ox needs clicks but you get more clicks through longer engagement over the whole season. People dropping pickem due to a missed week would be reduced. Plus, who is opening the picks, then just saving? If you remembered to open it, you’ll make picks.

Either way, changing the rule halfway is bs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.