Pool/Fence Build Thread

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly 11 feet.
The reason I asked is there is always a concern when an excavation and soil displacement/replacement occurs within or near what's called the angle of repose (as it relates to the foundation of your home). I am assuming your pool depth is less than 11' so I would be less concerned. The soil bearing capacity in your native soils (bottom of footing in undisturbed soil) should be between 2000 and 3000 pounds per linial foot. If the angle of repose (the book says 30 degrees, I always used 45 degrees to be safe) extends into the area of displaced soils for the pool, those soils should be compacted to at least 95% and the restraint (empty pool shell) designed to support the imposed lateral loads.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Brad, just a suggestion. You might ask the contractor to tie the broken concrete block they are using as chairs to the steel. Concrete weighs 70 pcf and it can displace the chairs. The steel needs to maintain a minimum of 2" concrete cover everywhere. Contractors always try the old "I'll make sure they pull the steel up into the concrete" line but they have to walk on it while they place the concrete in the pool floor.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Could you get the pool any closer to the house? Jebus, you live on how many acres and you wanted to be able to jump off the roof into the pool?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm more worried about him stumbling out there drunk one night and drowning. You know how he is.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The reason I asked is there is always a concern when an excavation and soil displacement/replacement occurs within or near what's called the angle of repose (as it relates to the foundation of your home). I am assuming your pool depth is less than 11' so I would be less concerned. The soil bearing capacity in your native soils (bottom of footing in undisturbed soil) should be between 2000 and 3000 pounds per linial foot. If the angle of repose (the book says 30 degrees, I always used 45 degrees to be safe) extends into the area of displaced soils for the pool, those soils should be compacted to at least 95% and the restraint (empty pool shell) designed to support the imposed lateral loads.

I'll admit I've had a few.... but I dont follow. I know what you are trying to say, just don't follow it in.

I just went out there and poked around. The closet disturbance of soil to the house is 8 feet away to a depth or roughly 7 feet.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Could you get the pool any closer to the house? Jebus, you live on how many acres and you wanted to be able to jump off the roof into the pool?

11 feet would be a pretty bold jump.

The distance away from the house was one of the hardest decisions actually. We really dont want to be crowded from not enough deck space. Obviously, we could have pushed the pool much further away.... but it aint cheap. Every 250 sqft of deck space runs about $2000 (forming, rebar, fill, concrete, knock down, deck paint, labor).

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The load of your home imposed on the soil at the bottom of your footing is substantial. That load is transmitted through the soil on an angle. You don't want your foundation trying to support itself on disturbed soil or a pool shell that is not designed in this scenario to act as a retaining structure.
You have no foundation bearing problem as it relates to your pool. I couldn't tell from the picture how close the pool was. The 8' cut (depth) is outside the angle of repose. In reality the imposed load diminishes after a certain point anyway. Forget I even asked. Tell me to mind my own business. No swimming for at least two hours after a meal and don't piss in the pool.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GOOD NIGHT, all the hips on that roof.

I bet that thing is a roofers nightmare with all them ridges and valleys - you think the pool is high, wait until you have to replace the shingles :eek4:

:chomp:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The load of your home imposed on the soil at the bottom of your footing is substantial. That load is transmitted through the soil on an angle. You don't want your foundation trying to support itself on disturbed soil or a pool shell that is not designed in this scenario to act as a retaining structure.
You have no foundation bearing problem as it relates to your pool. I couldn't tell from the picture how close the pool was. The 8' cut (depth) is outside the angle of repose. In reality the imposed load diminishes after a certain point anyway. Forget I even asked. Tell me to mind my own business. No swimming for at least two hours after a meal and don't piss in the pool.

I gotcha now. That explanation made more sense. I do appreciate the input, I love reading stuff like that.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don't do a screen enclosure if you don't need one. I really did not want one but it was a necessity both for bugs and keeping the pool clean since the pool basically abuts woods.

BTW, that is an amazing piece of land you have, although I don't envy you having to mow it. :cool:

The mowing really isnt too bad. My "front" gets mowed every week and takes me about 30 minutes. The side pasture gets mowed every other week and takes me about 45 minutes. The back pasture gets mowed about once a month and also takes 45 minutes. 62 inch zero turn with a canopy. I put headphones in and zone out. I ride too fast to drink a beer though.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone else find it funny that cooter is copying and pasting crap off of Google and making it sound like it's coming from him? :lol:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone else find it funny that cooter is copying and pasting crap off of Google and making it sound like it's coming from him? :lol:
You must have researched it to find out what the hell he was talking about...:)

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We do live in Ocala. Our neighborhood is 125 acres big, with 23 lots/homesites. I did not really want this many acres of pasture, but the lot was in foreclosure
Weis' old property?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll admit I've had a few.... but I dont follow. I know what you are trying to say, just don't follow it in.

I just went out there and poked around. The closet disturbance of soil to the house is 8 feet away to a depth or roughly 7 feet.

Just request your friend to double check his workers compacting of the soil on the backfill paying extra attention on the house/porch side. Sandy soil will migrate under pressure, time, and water to equilibrium and you don't want that to be from under your footings.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Day 10, Friday

image.jpg

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Finally placing concrete is a day for celebration. Have you talked with the county about a discounted water rate for your first time fill?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb