Post Game USF Presser

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Things that make Billy Napier have a meltdown ...

(Waiting)

(Waiting)

(Still waiting)

I suspect what this team needs more than a temper tantrum is some fatherly encouragement. Surely we weren't expecting a roster this thin to show linear improvement. Or were we?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, it's clearly not Napier's personality to go off either on the sideline or in press conferences. It was the same for Urban Meyer. You guys hoping Napier will act like an angry lunatic in public are going to be disappointed.

Meyer went off on the sidelines. As did Spurrier. I don’t think anyone’s wanting to see a lunatic, but some ownership of an awful night instead of insisting that Usf is a good team and it’s a great win would be nice.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer went off on the sidelines. As did Spurrier. I don’t think anyone’s wanting to see a lunatic, but some ownership of an awful night instead of insisting that Usf is a good team and it’s a great win would be nice.

Showing fire on the sideline gives off an entirely different vibe than railing on your team in a post-game presser. He's still trying to win over this roster. It's early for scorched earth. You run the risk of alienating your players, esp when you're a newcomer to Power 5 play.

There'll be plenty of opportunities to display his displeasure where warranted. If he's still soft-pedaling bad performances down the road, I'll take an entirely different view. But not now.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Surely we weren't expecting a roster this thin to show linear improvement. Or were we?
Do we really think the roster is significantly worse than last year? I don't.

Last year against these guys we scored 35 points in the first half and cruised to an easy win on the road with 666 yards of offense.

This year at home we struggled to 31 total points on only 329 yards of offense and needed a couple of unforced errors from the bulls on their final possession to secure the win.

Maybe it's unfair to expect major improvement 3 games in, but do you think we should expect to see the major regression we are seeing?

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
I’m still on the Napier train. I like coach, his attitude and ability to speak. He gets a full year for me and another recruiting cycle or two.

Imagine how many if you (or another coach) would be successful with the current roster. It takes time and some patience, which apparently most Gator “fans” don’t have.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, it's clearly not Napier's personality to go off either on the sideline or in press conferences. It was the same for Urban Meyer. You guys hoping Napier will act like an angry lunatic in public are going to be disappointed.
Maybe he can bring Muschamp on as an advisor.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Billy‘s probably Sitting there thinking the same thing we are “ how the hell am I going to get AR out of his funk.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I heard that. Wondered why no one asked him why we don't scheme and coach up for teams we are playing!
It's a new offense and defense for the players. It's a new, first time head coach and staff. It's a team that picked up terrible habits if they are experienced with the old regime. The team has holes in most of the groups with very little experience as individuals and in this scheme.

It looks like **** with an occasional bright spot.

IMO, the program isn't at a point to "scheme" against opponents.We are trying to avoid stepping on our own dicks. Crawl, then walk, then run. We are in the crawling stage.

And BN did emphasize (and I could tell he was POed) that WE HAVE A LOT OF WORK TO DO. He's said that at each press conference.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Do we really think the roster is significantly worse than last year? I don't.

Last year against these guys we scored 35 points in the first half and cruised to an easy win on the road with 666 yards of offense.

This year at home we struggled to 31 total points on only 329 yards of offense and needed a couple of unforced errors from the bulls on their final possession to secure the win.

Maybe it's unfair to expect major improvement 3 games in, but do you think we should expect to see the major regression we are seeing?

Under a new coach with a new system and a struggling quarterback? I can see that all being a problem.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
It's a new offense and defense for the players. It's a new, first time head coach and staff. It's a team that picked up terrible habits if they are experienced with the old regime. The team has holes in most of the groups with very little experience as individuals and in this scheme.

It looks like **** with an occasional bright spot.

IMO, the program isn't at a point to "scheme" against opponents.We are trying to avoid stepping on our own dicks. Crawl, then walk, then run. We are in the crawling stage.

And BN did emphasize (and I could tell he was POed) that WE HAVE A LOT OF WORK TO DO. He's said that at each press conference.
All this. We're still on the install, hard to do a lot of adjustments right now.

Coach is watching the same game we are, he's not stupid.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Maybe we’ve hit bottom and may bounce up a little. It won’t happen in Knoxville. Truth is CBN implemented his system, which is new to all but two players. We’re still in the learning stage. If we are executing better the last half of the year, we have a good coach. If not we have a $40 million dollar problem. I’m still with him. I think he is a great communicator which will pay off in the long run. He isn’t like Muscrap, his technic is to encourage. And he has been successful with that.
I do hope this game showed them who the two best RBs are. I would alternate series with Johnson and Entienne. They definitely can run the ball.
AR’s arm is like some long hitters I have played golf with. They don’t care where it goes as long as it goes out of site. He was missing receivers by ten yards all night. It’s a miracle we didn’t have 5 or 6 interceptions. I seriously doubt him ever becoming an accurate passer.
And now his running ability has dimished. All the announcers could talk about was how great he is.
I think we have a HUGE 6’3” 230 pound QB problem! We won’t run the score up on anyone so we’ll probably have to have a four game losing streak, before we see a different QB.
Doesn’t this sound a little familiar….

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Seeing as most of our best players right now are guys that Billy brought in, that tells me how bare the cupboard was after Dan left. This will not be an easy turnaround. Give the man some time before ya'll burn him on the cross.
OL is playing its best in years. We have 2 very good backs with big play ability. New players scattered across the defense who will learn and grow with experience.
Our best WR is a transfer.
This is a full on rebuild. The man needs time.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Seeing as most of our best players right now are guys that Billy brought in, that tells me how bare the cupboard was after Dan left. This will not be an easy turnaround. Give the man some time before ya'll burn him on the cross.
OL is playing its best in years. We have 2 very good backs with big play ability. New players scattered across the defense who will learn and grow with experience.
Our best WR is a transfer.
This is a full on rebuild. The man needs time.

I can agree with that to an extent, and touched on that after Utah. But again, I think the issue some are having is that those players left by Mullen won’t beat uga, but are capable of beating Uk and shouldn’t struggle like that against Usf. No one expected perfection this year. But if we’re truly staring down a .500 record, that is very much on the coaching staff.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
I can agree with that to an extent, and touched on that after Utah. But again, I think the issue some are having is that those players left by Mullen won’t beat uga, but are capable of beating Uk and shouldn’t struggle like that against Usf. No one expected perfection this year. But if we’re truly staring down a .500 record, that is very much on the coaching staff.
If AR was playing even avg QB play, I would agree. But he isnt, in fact he's one of the worst in the SEC right now stat wise. The team played well enough to beat UK, AR handed them 2 scores when we couldve put a drive together n sucked the life out of them.

Same lastnight, Defense had a pick 6, place was rocking. We put a drive together it takes them out mentally, instead he hands them the ball n gives them underdog hope

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Feel good session from CBN - No details about our obvious weaknesses and what we'll do to fix
I don’t know that we’ll ever get a ton of specifics immediately post game. Monday, however, there should be more details.

I don’t think it can be expressed strongly enough how huge the impact of a barely functional QB with enormous expectations can be on the team and especially the fan base. He has been so far below expectations that many of us have to believe that it is a result of an outside influence. It’s also easy believing you’re the savior when you are the fan favorite and de facto star while not doing much but sitting and having the occasional cameo. Still, it’s hard to imagine that AR has been so bad with 0 TD passes. At this point though, I’d take a performance like he had against Utah each week rather than the inability to complete a pass except those to the other team.

His flop is a head-scratcher and more resembles an NFL bust. Lord willing he can be coached past this, but it’s going to take more than coaching I fear.

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
New Coach is 2-1 after starting the season vs 2 ranked teams out the gate with a young team of which most of his guys are already our best players at their positions and you guys are crying because he didnt go Dennis Green at the presser after a close win?? Wow
This is the ONE thing I'm clinging to... desperately so.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Florida has a talent composite of 12th. Stop being apologists for these crap performances.

Kentucky is 27th. Utah is 33rd. USF is 65th.

Are we the only team with holes? None of those teams with less talent on paper have holes? Kentucky didn't even have their two best backs.

He had all spring with AR. He had fall camp. He's coaching QBs. None of this is on Napier? Really?

There is a non-zero amount of this that is the head coach and his staff's responsibility. We can debate the amount but it isn't none.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Florida has a talent composite of 12th. Stop being apologists for these crap performances.

Kentucky is 27th. Utah is 33rd. USF is 65th.

Are we the only team with holes? None of those teams with less talent on paper have holes? Kentucky didn't even have their two best backs.

He had all spring with AR. He had fall camp. He's coaching QBs. None of this is on Napier? Really?

There is a non-zero amount of this that is the head coach and his staff's responsibility. We can debate the amount but it isn't none.
None of those teams you listed are also under a new staff, learning new schemes ect whilst starting multiple transfers / inexperienced freshmen across the board.
2 of those teams are in the top 20 and have solid QB play.

AR is ranked dead last in the SEC, had a QBR of 11.. Yes, fkn 11 vs USF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.