Post O&B Game look to the 2019 Gators

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Offense:

WR and TE is a huge strength. From a strict talent standpoint, this is one of the best receiving corps I can remember at Florida. Getting them the ball might be another matter, but this is as talented and deep a group as we've had in a looooong time.

Van Jefferson is the best of the bunch right now, the most polished. Trevon Grimes has the most potential (I can see him having a loooong and successful career in the NFL), he's huge, almost a TE frame, but very fluid. Kadarius Toney is quicksilver out there, pure dynamite. He's just a playmaker. That's 3 studs but the depth behind them is what elevates this group.

Tyrie Cleveland has ideal size and speed (and is a good blocker) but he needs to work on those hands. We also have solid, proven veterans Freddie Swain and Josh Hammond. Our 4,5,&6 receivers compare favorably with a lot of teams' 1,2,&3 receivers.

At TE we have Kyle Pitts who is a classic receiving TE. Moves like a big WR out there. He's the kinda guy who feasts on LBs trying to cover him. Kemore Gamble is your big body blocking TE. Lucas Krull looks like Thor. He's still learning the position. We've also got the freshman Zipperer who looks to be better than any of them when all is said and done.

We are solid at RB. Perine is all around solid. Pierce is a bruiser who can break a long run, and we remember how good the speedy and shifty Davis was before he got hurt. Solid group, especially if Pierce can hold onto the ball and if Davis bounces back from that injury.

QB. We can win with Franks but I don't know if he's ever going to make the leap to elite. Behind him we've got lots of question marks. Trask hasn't played much. Emory Jones has a hose but no touch. He also hasn't demonstrated the elite running ability I was hoping to see from him. Jalon Jones is talented but raw. He's lost out there.

The big question is OL. I think we can have a serviceable starting 5, especially on the interior. We know Heggie and Bleich can play, throw in Buchanan and Noah Banks and you've got your interior (and didn't we get a G transfer from GaTech?). I just don't know about the tackles. Assuming two out of Delance, Forsythe, and Gouriage step up, we might be OK. The problem is depth. We've basically got one back-up T and two back-up Gs before we have to delve into the world of wild-eyed kids who were trying to get a date to the senior prom a few weeks ago. We need to stay healthy on the line or this offense will struggle despite the stellar receiving corps, solid running corps, and Felipe. I really hope we can get a starting 5 that will gel and stay healthy. If that happens, we could have a very good offense.

Defense:

DBs are our strength despite some questions at Safety. Hendo and Marco are studs at C (assuming Marco rebounds from injury). Trey Dean will start at the nickel and he proved he can play last year after Marco got injured. I feel really good about this starting bunch. Safeties...well, we've got bodies who have been in the system and gotten playing time. We just need a couple of them to step up. I do think that will happen.

DL makes me nervous. We've got some serviceable bodies at DT so we can rotate 4 but so far none of them look like disrupters who are going to blow up plays at the line. They look serviceable, pedestrian, "solid". No superstars. Not even stars. Just "good" solid run stoppers and line cloggers.

That wouldn't bother me so much if we had the kind of studs we're used to having at DE. We've got Zuniga who is good and, uh...Moon at the Buck? So basically, we have one dude we know can rush the passer. God I hope Moon flourishes at Buck and maybe somebody I never heard of steps up. Maybe that transfer Greenard?

Overall, this DL is nowhere near the Florida Standard. Lacking in both talent and depth; on a typical Gator defense, these guys would be the second string.

LB. David Reese is the QB of the D. He's the one who makes those around him better. He is probably the most valuable guy on the D because he's irreplaceable. We can replace him in terms of another LB who is strong and fast and can make tackles, but we can't replace him in terms of leading the D. Let us all remember to keep David Reese in our prayers. At OLB, Amari Burney is the most intriguing. He could be special.

Overall, we're thin and less talented than usual, especially the starters. No offense to them, but would James Houston or Ventrell Miller start on a typical Gator D? Mac's recruiting failures are showing this year at DL and LB.

Special Teams:

We've got a great punter, two solid kickers, and maybe just MAYBE Kadarius Toney learning to return punts. Cover teams will be solid. Overall, special teams should be a team strength.

Alex.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That wouldn't bother me so much if we had the kind of studs we're used to having at DE. We've got Zuniga who is good and, uh...Moon at the Buck? So basically, we have one dude we know can rush the passer. God I hope Moon flourishes at Buck and maybe somebody I never heard of steps up. Maybe that transfer Greenard?
I agree completely with most of the post.

Greenard is the Rush/Buck/2nd End/whatever. IMO he is a decent pass rusher, probably not as good as #99, but better versus the run and in coverage when he drops as a backer.

Moon plays sam backer when he is in, which is almost never because we usually have a star/nickel on the field instead, even in most 2 wr sets. I don't expect him to be on the field much more this year. (He is actually decent at sam, primarily as a cover guy on the TE. His weakness of run defense is mitigated somewhat by the SDE usually setting the edge on that side.)

Zuniga probably stays at the other end, though I guess he could rotate at Buck. He is light enough for Rushback, not really big enough for SDE. He is a strong pass rusher, not so good vs run.

Overall, I think we are marginally better vs the run, and probably slightly worse pass rushing.

Pin this and replace the Spring Practice thread?

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We've got a turbo 8 but the chassis and brakes tend to crack.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Franks is going to be very, very good this year. Don't worry about him getting the ball to our guys.

I'm worried Sas. That OL is going to be an issue. Remember 2-time SEC Offensive Player of the Year Shane Matthews senior season? He played behind two true freshman OT's and had the worst year of his career. I hope Mullen can "scheme" around it...and/or we get a grad transfer.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Offense:

WR and TE is a huge strength. From a strict talent standpoint, this is one of the best receiving corps I can remember at Florida. Getting them the ball might be another matter, but this is as talented and deep a group as we've had in a looooong time.

Van Jefferson is the best of the bunch right now, the most polished. Trevon Grimes has the most potential (I can see him having a loooong and successful career in the NFL), he's huge, almost a TE frame, but very fluid. Kadarius Toney is quicksilver out there, pure dynamite. He's just a playmaker. That's 3 studs but the depth behind them is what elevates this group.

Tyrie Cleveland has ideal size and speed (and is a good blocker) but he needs to work on those hands. We also have solid, proven veterans Freddie Swain and Josh Hammond. Our 4,5,&6 receivers compare favorably with a lot of teams' 1,2,&3 receivers.

At TE we have Kyle Pitts who is a classic receiving TE. Moves like a big WR out there. He's the kinda guy who feasts on LBs trying to cover him. Kemore Gamble is your big body blocking TE. Lucas Krull looks like Thor. He's still learning the position. We've also got the freshman Zipperer who looks to be better than any of them when all is said and done.

We are solid at RB. Perine is all around solid. Pierce is a bruiser who can break a long run, and we remember how good the speedy and shifty Davis was before he got hurt. Solid group, especially if Pierce can hold onto the ball and if Davis bounces back from that injury.

QB. We can win with Franks but I don't know if he's ever going to make the leap to elite. Behind him we've got lots of question marks. Trask hasn't played much. Emory Jones has a hose but no touch. He also hasn't demonstrated the elite running ability I was hoping to see from him. Jalon Jones is talented but raw. He's lost out there.

The big question is OL. I think we can have a serviceable starting 5, especially on the interior. We know Heggie and Bleich can play, throw in Buchanan and Noah Banks and you've got your interior (and didn't we get a G transfer from GaTech?). I just don't know about the tackles. Assuming two out of Delance, Forsythe, and Gouriage step up, we might be OK. The problem is depth. We've basically got one back-up T and two back-up Gs before we have to delve into the world of wild-eyed kids who were trying to get a date to the senior prom a few weeks ago. We need to stay healthy on the line or this offense will struggle despite the stellar receiving corps, solid running corps, and Felipe. I really hope we can get a starting 5 that will gel and stay healthy. If that happens, we could have a very good offense.

Defense:

DBs are our strength despite some questions at Safety. Hendo and Marco are studs at C (assuming Marco rebounds from injury). Trey Dean will start at the nickel and he proved he can play last year after Marco got injured. I feel really good about this starting bunch. Safeties...well, we've got bodies who have been in the system and gotten playing time. We just need a couple of them to step up. I do think that will happen.

DL makes me nervous. We've got some serviceable bodies at DT so we can rotate 4 but so far none of them look like disrupters who are going to blow up plays at the line. They look serviceable, pedestrian, "solid". No superstars. Not even stars. Just "good" solid run stoppers and line cloggers.

Overall, this DL is nowhere near the Florida Standard. Lacking in both talent and depth; on a typical Gator defense, these guys would be the second string.

LB. David Reese is the QB of the D. He's the one who makes those around him better. He is probably the most valuable guy on the D because he's irreplaceable. We can replace him in terms of another LB who is strong and fast and can make tackles, but we can't replace him in terms of leading the D. Let us all remember to keep David Reese in our prayers. At OLB, Amari Burney is the most intriguing. He could be special.

Overall, we're thin and less talented than usual, especially the starters. No offense to them, but would James Houston or Ventrell Miller start on a typical Gator D? Mac's recruiting failures are showing this year at DL and LB.

Special Teams:

We've got a great punter, two solid kickers, and maybe just MAYBE Kadarius Toney learning to return punts. Cover teams will be solid. Overall, special teams should be a team strength.

Alex.

Problem with this is...what else can be said?

Dude you nailed it

OL is good but YOUNG...can they develop soon enough

DL....Thin, Thin, Thin

Can't wait until like UGA and Bama...we are 2+ Deep EVERYWHERE

:ohboy:

Soon Grasshopper, soon

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Offense:

Defense:

Special Teams:

Alex.

Great summary but I think the DL might be better than we expect as they were greatly restrained in this game, until later in the game.

I think we will be fine at QB as well, I expect them to all work with the receivers over the summer.

oline is my major issue especially if we have any injuries.

Time will of course tell.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Safety is more of a concern than the d line . I’m pretty excited about Carter . Jabari and JG should form
a nice duo . Stiner and Taylor just don’t have the cover skills to play well in our scheme. We need a good year from Stewart without any idiotic suspensions in season .

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The o-line scares me to death. Last season we were fortunate to have very few injuries there. I truly believe the season will go as the O-line goes. If FF can get time, the offense might put up quite a few points and hide some defensive deficiencies.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I still think Cleveland would be a really good safety and would be more useful to the team there than at WR. Overall though, I think the defense will improve from last year but will likely regress in 2020. D line is a larger concern for next year than this year. The defense probably won't be top 10 this year, but top 20-25 wouldn't be bad.

Franks doesn't have to be elite for us to have a top 20 offense. He just needs to be more consistent. We have enough playmakers that can make him and the offense better. I'lI take a pretty good, consistent QB any day. Hopefully the O-line will protect him.

Speaking of playmakers, I'm looking forward to Toney getting more than 5 touches a game and also watching Pitts make plays. I think he'll be our next Aaron Hernandez minus the psychopathic murders of course. Also, I love Perine as the full out starter. Hope he gets at least 18 carries a game.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Although the defense was a sieve, I was very impressed with the way Franks played and he seemed to have a really good command of the offense. He was looking off receivers and had touch and accuracy. As stated, as it has been for years, it's all about the offensive line.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
OL will be fine if we can stay healthy. It's the D line that concerns me. Can we stop the run? If not, then we're in for a long season.

Agree on DL. I'm not sure why it's a "concern" for anyone. We return both DT starters - so it's safe to assume they are a year stronger/bigger and a year more experienced in THIS system. Slaton seems to have turned the corner, and if he plays to his potential he's the biggest DT we've had in years and should be a solid back-up. Conliffe seems to have improved, which isn't saying much. And then there's Carter, Dunlap & Ancrum. That's a 7 man DT rotation. IMO, there is zero drop off between Zuniga and Polite. And Greenard is at least over 260lbs at DE (and Carter will play this spot as well). Moon was supposedly much improved towards the end of the year (from reports) - and then got injured. Hopefully he comes into fall well over 240. Add in the young guys; Chatfield, Diabate, Hopper and we're in pretty good shape (this year). 2020 is going to be a problem.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Although the defense was a sieve, I was very impressed with the way Franks played and he seemed to have a really good command of the offense. He was looking off receivers and had touch and accuracy. As stated, as it has been for years, it's all about the offensive line.

Not to rain on your parade...Even Mullen said it's easy when the D is going very basic.

But I do agree, FF SEEMS to have settled down and is more controled.

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Agree on DL. I'm not sure why it's a "concern" for anyone. We return both DT starters - so it's safe to assume they are a year stronger/bigger and a year more experienced in THIS system. Slaton seems to have turned the corner, and if he plays to his potential he's the biggest DT we've had in years and should be a solid back-up. Conliffe seems to have improved, which isn't saying much. And then there's Carter, Dunlap & Ancrum. That's a 7 man DT rotation. IMO, there is zero drop off between Zuniga and Polite. And Greenard is at least over 260lbs at DE (and Carter will play this spot as well). Moon was supposedly much improved towards the end of the year (from reports) - and then got injured. Hopefully he comes into fall well over 240. Add in the young guys; Chatfield, Diabate, Hopper and we're in pretty good shape (this year). 2020 is going to be a problem.

CONCERN = "Lack of Depth"

To me it's the main reason we are not UGA, Bama, Clemson...YET. They seem to have 3 players at every slot AND the #2s are only slightly behind #1

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.