Post O&B Game look to the 2019 Gators

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm waiting for the day when one of the pouncey's or big Trent gets a pick 6.

Well, I was actually referring to a couple of our All-Time Spring Breakout Performers and how being a star in the Spring game doesn't mean a whole lot. QD and MOJ were routinely beasts in Mar/Apr only to disappear once September rolled around.

But yeah, I'm also ok with the scripted plays to older guys. Creative way of getting/keeping them involved.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Crabtree to Hernandez

Not sure who Crabtree is, but as long as we're not overly critical of Hernandez, I could see it working.

tumblr_mzie7131SU1rm5arco2_r1_400.gif

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Some of you guys need to learn your Gator history. Crabtree was one of the great QBs/HBs of a long list of great QBs/HBs at UF. He was also known to be a big partier.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Some of you guys need to learn your Gator history. Crabtree was one of the great QBs/HBs of a long list of great QBs/HBs at UF. He was also known to be a big partier.

Oh, I remember him. That win over Washington & Lee in '27 was sweet. Seriously, screw those guys(both of em).

But sorry, you can't get shutout by Davidson and still be considered "great". Just inexcusable.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Oh, I remember him. That win over Washington & Lee in '27 was sweet. Seriously, screw those guys(both of em).

But sorry, you can't get shutout by Davidson and still be considered "great". Just inexcusable.

Thats why he is throwing to Hernandez ...

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Clyde "Cannonball" Crabtree (RIP).

One of the studs of the "Phantom Four" backfield. He may have been the second best player on the team (second to Dale Van Sickle). Crabtree could allegedly throw and punt both righty and lefty.

His 1928 Gators were one of the greatest Gator teams of all time. Should have won a national championship. Led the nation in scoring. Won their first 8 games in a row, all big blowouts except for one. Then they played their last game of the season against Tennessee on the road. Legend has it the Vols watered down the field to slow down the speedy Gators. Both teams scored 2 TDs in the muddy mess. Tennessee made one extra point. Florida missed both. Final score, 13-12, Tennessee.

Check out the scores that season:

Florida Southern Win 26-0

Auburn Win 27-0

Mercer Win 73-0

North Carolina State Win 14-7

Sewanee Win 71-6

at Georgia Win 26-6

Clemson Win 27-6

Washington & Lee Win 60-6

at Tennessee Loss 13-12

Clydecrabtree.jpg

He became a coach and high school administrator in South Florida, and passed away in 1994.

Alex.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Punting lefty. That will really confuse them.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Back to the 2019 iteration of our beloved Gators.

Do you see this as a run-heavy team or more of a passing team?

Do we play to our strength at WR and TE and throw it all over the yard, or will it depend on what the OL can do better?

Alex.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Run heavy, as always. More edge stuff though. All Mullinz teams are run heavy. The issue is whether it is 60% or 80%.

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Throw it deep to keep them from loading the box.

A lot Edge and TE stuff.

Very run heavy...quick stuff.

Keep the pressure off the OL

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
59/41 last season in favor of the run. I can see the pass attempts rising slightly due to Mullen's increased confidence in Franks and the pass opportunities that arise in a run-oriented attack.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
With that OL, it will be a whole lot of RPO inside 5yd out from the LOS. Last season we opened up with a heavy dose of WR screens. Don't quote me on this because I'm pulling this outta my arse based on how I remember the OB going, but there was more throws over the middle by all QBs vs perimeter stuff. I dont feel like rewatching for that, so I am just going to be lazy content until someone corrects me. Then, I'll know for sure.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
59/41 last season in favor of the run. I can see the pass attempts rising slightly due to Mullen's increased confidence in Franks and the pass opportunities that arise in a run-oriented attack.

I agree. I'm thinking a 55/45 run pass attack. Since many runs include an option with the QB, I think they'll run a lot of screens to help limit Franks's carries, which will also give the WRs more touches. Plus with the quick throws, that reduces his need to scramble.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. I'm thinking a 55/45 run pass attack. Since many runs include an option with the QB, I think they'll run a lot of screens to help limit Franks's carries, which will also give the WRs more touches. Plus with the quick throws, that reduces his need to scramble.
Agree. Franks is not a runner. He can navigate third-and-2 due to his size, but otherwise I think you want the ball in the hands of the playmakers.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Back to the 2019 iteration of our beloved Gators.

Do you see this as a run-heavy team or more of a passing team?

Do we play to our strength at WR and TE and throw it all over the yard, or will it depend on what the OL can do better?

Alex.

I think we will attempt to be balanced, but as you indicate the oline performance will determine what we actually do. It has been reported that they have the pieces to run the offense that the coach wants, who knows if that is reality.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Agree. Franks is not a runner. He can navigate third-and-2 due to his size, but otherwise I think you want the ball in the hands of the playmakers.

Yes Franks is not a great runner, but since some defenses will ignore his ability he can get some large runs in certain circumstances. I see packages for others who now can both throw and run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.