Program Turnaround Question

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You are the Florida AD. Your goal is to get it going in the right direction in 36 months. You have the hindsight choice of three great UF head coaches.

Let's not let the NCAA muddle the thinking.

1) Charley Pell

2) Urban Meyer

3) Steve Spurrier

Who and why?

(At least I got your mind off carpet squares.)

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer hands down.

Best recruiter with a track record of accomplishment and quick championship level turn arounds.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer set the program back a decade

If you're looking to turn a program into a championship winner within 36 months Meyer is the one who's proven he could do it twice. I didn't say it would stay that way.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier = was light years ahead of the rest of the college world in his heydays and still showed he can call a game with the defunct AAF .

He could take regular talent and make a championship team, Urbs needs a stacked deck to work his magic

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier = was light years ahead of the rest of the college world in his heydays and still showed he can call a game with the defunct AAF .

He could take regular talent and make a championship team, Urbs needs a stacked deck to work his magic

Excellente!

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you're looking to turn a program into a championship winner within 36 months Meyer is the one who's proven he could do it twice. I didn't say it would stay that way.

Meyer gives himself ulcers being a control freak. Spurrier goes to the beach and golfs after delegation.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier. He may not win as many national championships as Meyer, but he'd usually field a respectable top 10 team, he'll be here for the long haul, and there would be fewer scandals involving players or coaches.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Saban cut off Meyers balls and sent him home crying and overdosing.

SOS beat Saban with Gamecawk's trash talent.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Meyer set the program back a decade

He really didn’t. That was Foley and the Muschamp hire(also technically Foley)that did that. Wasting a year looking at only one unproven guy, and then allowing him to completely destroy everything UF had ever been, is the hole we’re stoll digging out of.

I think both divits and JB have described their positions the best. If you’re wanting a quick elevation to NC level, Meyer is probably the best there is. If you’re looking for someone to build and keep you solid-to-great, and likely less off field concern, Spurrier is a much better choice. Can’t really go wrong with either, but they are definitely different.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He really didn’t. That was Foley and the Muschamp hire(also technically Foley)that did that. Wasting a year looking at only one unproven guy, and then allowing him to completely destroy everything UF had ever been, is the hole we’re stoll digging out of.

I think both divits and JB have described their positions the best. If you’re wanting a quick elevation to NC level, Meyer is probably the best there is. If you’re looking for someone to build and keep you solid-to-great, and likely less off field concern, Spurrier is a much better choice. Can’t really go wrong with either, but they are definitely different.

:doh:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

You do understand if we don’t have a head coach who actively tries to hamstring his offense, we probably win a title in 2012, right? There’s no doubt in my mind that as limited as Driskel was, Meyer would’ve managed to score a couple of TD’s against uga. And that’s not even considering Miller, who was coming here until Meyer left, would’ve been a factor at QB. There were future NFL players all over our team that most incoming coaches would kill for. If, by chance, Meyer sticks it out here(which goes against his whole MO) does anyone think we see years like ‘13, ‘14,’17?

Bottom line, the roster was no where near as bad as WM wanted people to believe. Unbalanced, and in need of some work, yes. But not .500/sub.500 material. WM insisted on his vision of what UF should be and mortgaged multiple seasons to achieve it. He inherited a fine team and dismantled it like the moron bulldog he’s always been.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wraparound five-year look.

8d0d370fc7e0fc71f4641fee14b98605.jpg

0baefc8ede3dba87578a8c9e80733ce5.jpg

5d9bb9f029dab720c637867787f84496.jpg

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Steve Spurrier did more than just establish the Gators as a national power and bring in our first SEC and national championship as well. He did it innovating on offense and made that the DNA of Florida football to a nation.

But, more importantly to me, a long time Gator, he did the amazing. He swept out ALL the ghosts of the program and killed all the boogeymen that had plagued our program forever.

He made Georgia his patsy, to his never ending delight, he ribbed Tennessee and FSU to our delight. He took Florida into the national spotlight and turned the national media in his, and the school's, favor. This is favor that has not worn off even with the stench of the past decade.

Spurrier made this school and is always my first choice for Head Ball Coach.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Steve Spurrier did more than just establish the Gators as a national power and bring in our first SEC and national championship as well. He did it innovating on offense and made that the DNA of Florida football to a nation.

But, more importantly to me, a long time Gator, he did the amazing. He swept out ALL the ghosts of the program and killed all the boogeymen that had plagued our program forever.

He made Georgia his patsy, to his never ending delight, he ribbed Tennessee and FSU to our delight. He took Florida into the national spotlight and turned the national media in his, and the school's, favor. This is favor that has not worn off even with the stench of the past decade.

Spurrier made this school and is always my first choice for Head Ball Coach.

This decade of pure agony could have been avoided if not for the Morman president.....bastard...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator