Proposed 2020 rule changes: transfer rule tabled til next year

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Edit: thinking of PROTHRO, I dont remember Millons doing much.

We covered him (PROTHRO)... with Kyle Jackson. Bc we had a fvkked up position coach who wanted to play a kid bc he liked him, instead of playing the better players.

Keep in mind Reggie Nelson and later Major Wright were on the bench.

That btw is championship recruiting. Sometimes even a 5 star like Jackson flops, so you cant just fill the rest of the roster w leftovers.

You’re 5 years later. Prothro was Zook era.

Here’s the 1999 box score:

54af78d1038f58ee0def2f429a4caa3f.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You’re 5 years later. Prothro was Zook era.
First year of Meyer.

Lost like 28-3 or something.

Mullinz was Mullinzing with Leak running the option and Kyle Jackson was confused about what "safety" meant in a cover 1 (mostly).

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
First year of Meyer.

Mullinz was Mullinzing with Leak running the option and Kyle Jackson was confused about what "safety" meant in a cover 1 (mostly).

I was at that game. Brutally hot. Prothro destroyed his leg on a late, meaningless td. Shula trying to save his job by RUTS on us. He cost that kid millions.

Alex.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was at that game. Brutally hot. Prothro destroyed his leg on a late, meaningless td. Shula trying to save his job by RUTS on us. He cost that kid millions.

Alex.
Meyer adjusted and benched a useless safety, even though everyone thought he was a great kid. So it wasnt for naught.

Weve played the same worthless safeties for two years and are going to play one of the two next year.

It is why Meyer is a champion coach and Mullinz is a joke.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
First year of Meyer.

Right - but that was well after Shaun Alexander (which was where we started this line of thought.)

Jackson seemed to regress every year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
NCAA tweaks targeting, instant replay protocol

NCAA tweaks targeting, instant replay protocol - FootballScoop

The NCAA’s Playing Rules Oversight Panel has tweaked protocol regarding its targeting and instant replay rules — but it didn’t make the change you were probably hoping for.

The committee, which approved the changes Monday and announced them Tuesday, will now allow players ejected from a game for targeting to remain in their team’s bench area. Previously, players were banished to the locker room.

The change is a welcome one, but it indicates the panel is prepared to go into the 2020 season without a red card/yellow card system, which would allow players who commit an incidental targeting foul to remain in the game with something resembling soccer’s yellow card. There has been a movement to institute such a system for years now, and the conversation reached a fever pitch after Shaun Wade was ejected for this hit in Ohio State’s Fiesta Bowl loss to Clemson in December.

Officials have been hesitant to make such a move, since it would require the referee to essentially climb inside a player’s helmet and legislate his apparent attempt in making a tackle. Such a move would inevitably lead to controversy since one man’s red card would be another’s yellow, and vice versa, but the counter to that argument is that the present system treats all targeting fouls as red cards.

Perhaps sensing backlash, the NCAA’s announcement included the reminder of its 2019 tweak, which now requires officials to confirm a targeting foul through replay in order to eject a player from a game.

The NCAA also announced other rule tweaks:

Instant replay: Officials are now explicitly expected to complete video reviews in two minutes or less, unless it’s an end of game or plays that are “exceptionally complicated.” Additionally, the NCAA clarified that an end-of-half review must determine at least three seconds remained in the half to wind back the clock. At two seconds or fewer, the half should be over.

The panel clarified the new guidance only applies when the clock would start on the referee’s signal after the review, not in a dead ball situation.

In other words, an incomplete pass that replay determined occurred with one second on the clock would justify pulling both teams back on the field, but an in-bounds tackle would not.

Duplicate numbers: The panel clarified that only two players on a team can wear the same number. As previously applied, those players must play different positions and cannot be on the field at the same time.

To compensate for the change, the NCAA has made the number 0 available to wear.

Pregame protocol: To prevent pre-game scuffles, the NCAA is now putting officials “on duty” beginning 90 minutes before kickoff, up from the previous 60. Also, the NCAA will require a coach must be present if players are on the field, and all players on-field in pre-game must be identifiable by number.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
"and all players on-field in pre-game must be identifiable by number."

Does the NCAA think they all look the same?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Story from footballscoop, appears the immediate eligibility transfer rule won't happen this year:

Changes are coming soon to Division I transfer rules

Changes are coming soon to Division I transfer rules - FootballScoop

“The transfer environment has long been an issue of much discussion in Division I. The Division I Council is committed to a uniform and equitable approach to transfer rules that considers student-athlete well- being and the opportunities available after transfer,” said Council chair M. Grace Calhoun, athletics director at Pennsylvania. “We will not simply change the rule, but we will consider a comprehensive package designed to address the multiple complexities involved.”

What exactly does all this mean? Well, that’s yet to be seen, but I think we can expect the NCAA to address situations like how recently a handful of high profile quarterbacks were granted immediate eligibility after a transfer, while guys at other positions who cited their reason to transfer to be closer to a family member battling health issues had their case heard, only to be told they had to sit out a year before becoming eligible to play at the new school.

Other relevant changes the Division I council announced also include:

• Waiving the minimum football attendance requirement for Football Bowl Subdivision members for two years.
  • In sports other than football, basketball, cross country, men’s swimming and diving, indoor and outdoor track and field, and wrestling, teams will not be required to play 50% of contests above the required minimum number of contests against Division I opponents. Those sports are still required to play 100 percent of the minimum number of contests against Division I opponents.
  • Football Championship Subdivision teams will not be required to play at least 50% of football games against FBS or FCS opponents.
  • Financial aid minimums for FBS schools were waived to permit an institution to award at least 75% of the maximum FBS financial aid limit for three years. In addition, institutions will be permitted to award a minimum of 150 athletics grants-in-aid or expend a minimum of $3 million on grants-in-aid to student-athletes for a period of three years. Gender equity requirements and rules governing nonrenewal/cancellation of aid remain in effect.
  • FBS schools will not be required to play 60% of their games against FBS members or play five home games against FBS opponents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator