PURCHASED: Audi TT Quattro

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I've owned 3 Gen 1 (1990-97) Miata's, and I can tell you that the fun factor is off the charts. No man who has ever actually driven one rips into them and calls them queer cars. They have 116 horsepower and yet you always find yourself wanting to go for a drive.
I've driven plenty of older cars with less horsepower than 116 that were fun to drive. Im not doubting you. It's small, light and nimble.

Remember I'm the one declared to be a lesbian bc I said my girl's Subaru was surprisingly fun to drive.

So is the TT though. And an MR2.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So is the TT though. And an MR2.
Never driven either of those, and both are in my price range. I'm just not crazy about the looks of the TT. And the repair situation. I can be a lot more comfortable with Japanese cars.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Never driven either of those, and both are in my price range. I'm just not crazy about the looks of the TT. And the repair situation. I can be a lot more comfortable with Japanese cars.
They handle really nicely. All (most?) have Audi's awd. They aren't really "fast" but neither is a Miata. It's been a LONG time since I was in a Miata, but I suspect they both have that quick, go cart feeling.

There's no doubt in my mind Japanese is probably better, and I get the familiarity thing. Find a used car dealer, tell him what you want and have him watch the auctions. Buy the car no warranty (no smoking or making crazy noises first of course) and Im sure you could get a high mileage Porsche for 6k.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Look how cheap this is. Of course, AWD is another thing to maintain and these cars weigh over 1,000 pounds more than a Miata. But so cheap.

Audi TT 2002

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Honda S2000

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The TT, unless it’s an RS, is a pretty plain vanilla ride. Front engine, average handling, loose feeling transmission, uninspiring dash. Don’t think you’d be that juiced, Ox.

I think the car most ideally suited to your wants is an S2000. Problem is finding one in that price range. Everyone else wants one because of how they looked, how they performed, the modding capabilities of a Honda, and the Honda reliability.

Keep looking. You’ll find what you want if you’re patient.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The TT, unless it’s an RS, is a pretty plain vanilla ride.
I agree but we are comparing to a Miata dude, not the cars that give your ancient ass an erection. Compared to a Boxster, I agree, TT is less. Compared to a Miata? I'd take the TT. You can also mod the TT pretty easily if you need more than 225 hp.

I admittedly am a bit biased. TT rides on the Golf frame, I think, and I've always had a soft spot for the GTi. A friend had one in HS. It was a fun little ride.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree but we are comparing to a Miata dude, not the cars that give your ancient ass an erection. Compared to a Boxster, I agree, TT is less. Compared to a Miata? I'd take the TT. You can also mod the TT pretty easily if you need more than 225 hp.

Oh, don’t get me wrong. The TT, esp early on, had a slippery outline and a minimalist cool factor. You could do far worse.

I’m not trying to pooh pooh any of these suggestions, although I probably sound like I am. Old, jaded, narrow minded.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
OK.... sticking with the Miata theme, and the price point, throw in a Zima, and I'm thinking a 1986 Fiero GT... just sayin'

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
OK.... sticking with the Miata theme, and the price point, throw in a Zima, and I'm thinking a 1986 Fiero GT... just sayin'
I can't think of the last time I saw one of those.

actually the last time I saw, it was on fire but was probably 1990. now those things rode like a chevette. what a piece of crap. looked pretty cool though.

trying to remember, I think the rear end was the front end out of a Chevy citation turned backwards and the front end was a chevette rear end.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I can't think of the last time I saw one of those.

actually the last time I saw, it was on fire but was probably 1990. now those things rode like a chevette. what a piece of crap. looked pretty cool though.

trying to remember, I think the rear end was the front end out of a Chevy citation turned backwards and the front end was a chevette rear end.
Yes, exactly... the very definition of General Motors!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think the car most ideally suited to your wants is an S2000. Problem is finding one in that price range.
I don't think you can. :lol:

double to triple his budget from what I saw.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Wanna know another vehicle that hasn't been manufactured since 2010 that has held crazy value if clean? Ford Explorer Sport Trac (the short bed truck Explorer)... especially the Adrenalines, but really all of them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So.... did you test drive it?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
6 grand is his budget.....He may have a point about the Miata being the safest bet. When that Euro stuff brakes you might spend more on parts and repairs than the whole car is worth. Learned that with 2 Mercedes that both had under 70K miles.....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
6 grand is his budget.....He may have a point about the Miata being the safest bet. When that Euro stuff brakes you might spend more on parts and repairs than the whole car is worth. Learned that with 2 Mercedes that both had under 70K miles.....
Audi/VW isnt too bad. Not like Mercedes, BMW or the Porsche specific stuff (some Porsche stuff is Audi/VW though).

You can generally take the Audi to the same dude that works on VW and Hondas. The dudes that work on Mercedes and BMWs at least in the US generally work only on that and generally charge out the ass for everything (think of it as a stupidity tax).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He is lookimg for "cool". Porsche has plenty. BMW Z4 and Audi have some and Pontiac has zero.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Audi/VW isnt too bad. Not like Mercedes, BMW or the Porsche specific stuff (some Porsche stuff is Audi/VW though).

You can generally take the Audi to the same dude that works on VW and Hondas. The dudes that work on Mercedes and BMWs at least in the US generally work only on that and generally charge out the ass for everything (think of it as a stupidity tax).

I can tell you haven’t been around Audis lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator