PURCHASED: Audi TT Quattro

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
He is lookimg for "cool". Porsche has plenty. BMW Z4 and Audi have some and Pontiac has zero.
You must be young because Pontiac has plenty. Also, the Pontiac GXP will run circles around all mentioned save the Porsxia and is better on reliability and repairs.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Model: 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Convertible

MPG: 19 city / 28 highway

Horsepower: 260 hp @ 5,300 rpm

Engine: 2.0 L 4-cylinder

Curb weight: 2,976 lbs

0-60: 5 secs

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You can find the Solstice for 5K but I just can't get into them enough. I like the Sky better but you never see them for sale.

Honda S2000 prices have gone through the roof. They are ridiculously overpriced.

Here's another nice TT example that I'm considering looking at on Friday on my way up to Gainesville. Only 57K miles and clean as hell.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=540364247&zip=34984&referrer=/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=34984&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&vehicleStyleCodes=CONVERT&incremental=all&firstRecord=0&marketExtension=include&modelCodeList=TT&makeCodeList=AUDI&searchRadius=200&isNewSearch=false&numRecords=25&vehicleStyleCodes=CONVERT&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=TT&makeCodeList=AUDI&searchRadius=200&clickType=listing

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So I should pounce on a Boxster in NC that needs thousands in repairs?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I can tell you haven’t been around Audis lately.
A buddy of mine runs a foreign shop that does mostly German. Back in the day, like late 80s, I used to do quick rebuilds. I weld a little. Have painted some (short hobby class too, kinda fun). Sometimes I hobby wrench, but it's been a while. It's therapy for me if it's the right car.

Im no mechanic, but most of the engine stuff, brakes etc on an Audi are straight VW and available at Autozone.

Just to be sure, I checked and found the following random parts for a 2007 TT using Autozone's website:

Caliper is $52
Motor mount $83
Head gasket kit $82
Strut (Bilstein even) $89
Alternator $156

Those all seem pretty reasonable.

01 Boxster (your link)
Caliper $185
Motor mount na (keep seeing something that doesnt really look like a mount for $20)
head gasket na (Edit $120 from partsgeek.com)
Strut $263
Alternator $171

Boxster wasn't really that expensive either.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I can tell you haven’t been around Audis lately.
To be fair your car is an exotic and shares little or no common parts with run of the mill Audi's. Even us schlub's that drive Vettes and Shelby's get "the tax"....when a tree limb fell on the front quarter panel of my car the guy at the repair shop ask me if I really needed the 4" Cobra emblem which of course I did....$100 plus due to Shelby licensing.....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im not following. Does Old 78 drive an R8? Im sure those parts arent at Autozone or Napa.

Im also not sure how his old ass gets in and out.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So I should pounce on a Boxster in NC that needs thousands in repairs?

What should do is stop being so thick headed. The car is clean, low mileage and priced at $4,000 with a possible IMS failure that would cost $300.00 to repair, $1,000 if you want to throw in a new clutch while you’re at it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A buddy of mine runs a foreign shop that does mostly German. Back in the day, like late 80s, I used to do quick rebuilds. I weld a little. Have painted some (short hobby class too, kinda fun). Sometimes I hobby wrench, but it's been a while. It's therapy for me if it's the right car.

Im no mechanic, but most of the engine stuff, brakes etc on an Audi are straight VW and available at Autozone.

Just to be sure, I checked and found the following random parts for a 2007 TT using Autozone's website:

Caliper is $52
Motor mount $83
Head gasket kit $82
Strut (Bilstein even) $89
Alternator $156

Those all seem pretty reasonable.

01 Boxster (your link)
Caliper $185
Motor mount na (keep seeing something that doesnt really look like a mount for $20)
head gasket na (Edit $120 from partsgeek.com)
Strut $263
Alternator $171

Boxster wasn't really that expensive either.

You’re taking about older cars. Go price a 2015 A8 or S7 or RS5.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
What should do is stop being so thick headed. The car is clean, low mileage and priced at $4,000 with a possible IMS failure that would cost $300.00 to repair, $1,000 if you want to throw in a new clutch while you’re at it.
$300? :lol:

If that’s all it was, then why is everyone terrified of these failures? I had read you may need a new damn ENGINE if it fails. In other words, the car is totaled. Hell, it’s the primary reason the early Boxsters have low values.

The $300 is replacing it before it fails, not after.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You’re taking about older cars. Go price a 2015 A8 or S7 or RS5.
Yeah, those arent in the 6k range.

I wondered why you were riled up. I have a lot of Audi love. Ask BNA. he and I were off list talking cars and I recommended a Q for him. His wife wants Macan. IMO Audi is a great mix of luxury and oerformance while still being practical.

The newer ones are more complicated course but again my buddy does work on him. I forget what he drives himself. A nice newer Audi. That being said tools-- ie computer diagnostic stuff-- all that still works on both VOA and Audi. Even things like all the electrical connectors and stuff are stock VOA.

if you have a minor breakdown in Podunk Georgia the guy that can work on the brakes or alternator of a Volkswagen can work on the brakes or alternator of an Audi, even a later one.

Maybe I'll do the part thing later, but I'm sure there's not a big demand for motor mounts for a 2015 Audi in any event. I won't be surprised if they're not off-the-shelf parts used on other Audi and VW though.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
$300? :lol:

If that’s all it was, then why is everyone terrified of these failures? I had read you may need a new damn ENGINE if it fails. In other words, the car is totaled. Hell, it’s the primary reason the early Boxters have low values.

The $300 is replacing it before it fails, not after.
It rattled them died would be a tough sell for me.

Maybe if theyd sell it to you for $1000 then you could part it if the it wasnt an economical fix.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It rattled them died would be a tough sell for me.

Mayne if theyd sell it to you for $1000 then you.could part it if the it wasnt an economical fix.
That is literally what just happened to my wife's Sonata just 2 weeks ago, luckily it was still under warranty at 84k miles.

They replaced the motor for free :whew:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
That is literally what just happened to my wife's Sonata just 2 weeks ago, luckily it was still under warranty at 84k miles.

They replaced the motor for free :whew:
That’s a hell of a warranty on those cars, although I do have a factory 5/100,000 on my Titan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator