PURCHASED: Audi TT Quattro

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That’s a hell of a warranty on those cars, although I do have a factory 5/100,000 on my Titan.
The difference is, you won't need it on a Titan. and your Titan isn't a throwaway car at a $100k miles. :)

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Every new vehicle sold today should have 100,000 warranties, but few do.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That’s a hell of a warranty on those cars, although I do have a factory 5/100,000 on my Titan.
Yea, we are kind of torn. We really need to upgrade to an SUV. Are hesitant to go to Hyundai again because of known issues and not sure if they are entirely fixed on the newer models. But yes, the warranty is great, thankfully.

We've got a few vehicles in mind, but not ready to take the plunge.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yea, we are kind of torn. We really need to upgrade to an SUV. Are hesitant to go to Hyundai again because of known issues and not sure if they are entirely fixed on the newer models. But yes, the warranty is great, thankfully.

We've got a few vehicles in mind, but not ready to take the plunge.
Go Japanese.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Does Old 78 drive an R8? Im sure those parts arent at Autozone or Napa.
I believe his car has the same powerplant/drivetrain as the Lambo Huracan...V10 with DCT trans and AWD......Yes it's shocking an old timer like that would want something so fast and sporty :lol2:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
$300? :lol:

If that’s all it was, then why is everyone terrified of these failures? I had read you may need a new damn ENGINE if it fails. In other words, the car is totaled. Hell, it’s the primary reason the early Boxsters have low values.

The $300 is replacing it before it fails, not after.

You read the guy’s description. Heard a rattle, shut it off, nothing since. $300.00 DIY repair, obviously a lot higher if more of the motor is impacted. Until someone does due diligence, it’s all a big question mark.

Let’s face it. You’re not going to get a turnkey German roadster for $6,000. You’re inevitably inheriting someone else’s issues, the more the issues the higher up the mileage ladder you go. If you think you’re going to plug and play on a beat to shyt Boxster with 150k on the odometer, you’re being delusional.

And, BTW, a blown turbo on a TT ain’t cheap either. You want to drive a front-wheel drive sports car? I don’t.

I’m attempting to find an arbitrage deal for you, something that’s clean and priced low that won’t break the bank getting it up to speed. This car looks pretty clean in the pics and has only 68k on the odometer. I’d be pretty surprised if you couldn’t get it up and running for under 2k. I may be wrong, but it’s worth doing some due diligence.

As you can see from the updates to the listing, I’ve inquired if the car is still for sale and if the motor issue has been identified. Rennlist market place advertisers are told to post when the car is sold or taken off the market to help people avoid wasting their time.

At your price point, you’re going to be doing most of your repairs. The IMS bearing isn’t rocket science. When you pull the shaft, throw a ceramic bearing on it. It won’t fail.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Heard a rattle, shut it off, nothing since
He said it rattled and then died...he didn't shut it off. And the nothing since is because he hasn't tried to crank it...not that he hasn't had an issue since.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He said it rattled and then died...he didn't shut it off. And the nothing since is because he hasn't tried to crank it...not that he hasn't had an issue since.

Shut it off, it died, none of that really matters. You want to look at the oil. Are there metal shavings? That would point strongly to IMS failure. You want to know the extent of the damage to assess whether it’s worth a 4K upfront plus cost of repairs investment. You won’t know until you dig in and gather facts. This is how truly good deals on older model sports cars can be had.

Frankly, I’d make it simple if it were me as the buyer. If the car is still for sale, the seller might be more amenable to work with me. Tell the guy to have it towed to the nearest Porsche dealer to have it assessed. Make it contingent on the damage as to who pays and how much for the tow.

If it’s simple IMS failure and nothing more, certified in writing by the dealer, I’ll pay for part of the towing charge. It’s worth it to me. I can have it shipped to Florida and fixed cheap. If it’s one cent more, it’s all on you.

The seller has to do something if he expects to move the car. He can’t leave the thing sitting in the middle of a corn field and expect to have people magically throw 4K at him. He needs to get off his arse.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I appreciate all your efforts. I’m not really interested in pursuing cars out of state.

Banning you for life interests me greatly, however.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I believe his car has the same powerplant/drivetrain as the Lambo Huracan...V10 with DCT trans and AWD......Yes it's shocking an old timer like that would want something so fast and sporty :lol2:

Almost. 4.2 V8 with gated six-speed transmission. The earlier R8s came equipped with the R-Tronic transmission, a manual automatic gearbox. Actually, a piece of shyt gearbox.

This car is a lot more comfortable than you might think, but, yes, I am a bit of an oddball with my car preferences. I get bored easily.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I appreciate all your efforts. I’m not really interested in pursuing cars out of state.

Banning you for life interests me greatly, however.

Well, considering that’s only a two-week ban, I’m all in.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gotta share a story from over the past month regarding the failing struts on my ride. The Gen 1 R8 came factory equipped with magnetic ride struts that adapted to your style of driving. Special hydraulic fluid with floating magnetic metal particles, and thus the problem. The friction from the metal particles almost inevitably leads to premature leakage and resulting failure. GM design. Figures.

I’ve got an extended warranty marketed by CarChex with the claims administered through Royal. Exclusionary contract that specifically excludes shocks but not struts. So I’m good upon failure, right?

Wrong. They were leaking pretty bad by May 2019. Audi Clearwater advised replacement. Royal accepted that all four dampers were indeed struts but denied the claim based on alleged lack of evidence of failure. Translation: kick the can.

I took the car to Audi Tampa in November hoping for a different perspective and result. Same recommendation: replace all four. At this point, they were making all sorts of racket. The estimate, BTW, was 13k involving labor. You can see why Royal had been throwing every roadblock in the way possible to avoid having to pay.

Royal comes back this time saying claim denied because all four dampers are shocks, not struts, and cites an Audi service bulletin that makes vague reference to the rears as shocks. They’re actually struts, all four. I covered this item ad nauseum with Carchex before I bought the contract.

I went to CarChex, armed with internal Audi parts diagrams, and read them the riot act. They agreed. They appealed to Royal to reconsider. Royal wouldn’t budge. In light of the scathing online review of Carchex that was sitting in the queue, ready to go, CarChex offered me a large chunk of change to settle. I agreed and proceeded to put a Bilstein factory coil over kit on the car, a far better damper than the mag ride disaster that had been on it, and at a far lesser cost. Lowered the ride by 0.75”. Car looks and rides terrific.

I’m out of pocket net $1,700 to date. The balance is going to come by way of small claims court. Keep you posted.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Gotta share a story from over the past month regarding the failing struts on my ride. The Gen 1 R8 came factory equipped with magnetic ride struts that adapted to your style of driving. Special hydraulic fluid with floating magnetic metal particles, and thus the problem. The friction from the metal particles almost inevitably leads to premature leakage and resulting failure. GM design. Figures.

I’ve got an extended warranty marketed by CarChex with the claims administered through Royal. Exclusionary contract that specifically excludes shocks but not struts. So I’m good upon failure, right?

Wrong. They were leaking pretty bad by May 2019. Audi Clearwater advised replacement. Royal accepted that all four dampers were indeed struts but denied the claim based on alleged lack of evidence of failure. Translation: kick the can.

I took the car to Audi Tampa in November hoping for a different perspective and result. Same recommendation: replace all four. At this point, they were making all sorts of racket. The estimate, BTW, was 13k involving labor. You can see why Royal had been throwing every roadblock in the way possible to avoid having to pay.

Royal comes back this time saying claim denied because all four dampers are shocks, not struts, and cites an Audi service bulletin that makes vague reference to the rears as shocks. They’re actually struts, all four. I covered this item ad nauseum with Carchex before I bought the contract.

I went to CarChex, armed with internal Audi parts diagrams, and read them the riot act. They agreed. They appealed to Royal to reconsider. Royal wouldn’t budge. In light of the scathing online review of Carchex that was sitting in the queue, ready to go, CarChex offered me a large chunk of change to settle. I agreed and proceeded to put a Bilstein factory coil over kit on the car, a far better damper than the mag ride disaster that had been on it, and at a far lesser cost. Lowered the ride by 0.75”. Car looks and rides terrific.

I’m out of pocket net $1,700 to date. The balance is going to come by way of small claims court. Keep you posted.

What did you do with the sensor that goes to the magnetic ride shocks and the ensuing thrown code? Hand held tuner to delete the error or a monkeyhead-sticker over the dashboard light?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I can't think of the last time I saw one of those.

actually the last time I saw, it was on fire but was probably 1990. now those things rode like a chevette. what a piece of crap. looked pretty cool though.

trying to remember, I think the rear end was the front end out of a Chevy citation turned backwards and the front end was a chevette rear end.
My first wife had one she bought new. Total piece of sh*t.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
My first wife had one she bought new. Total piece of sh*t.
Trust me, ALL American cars built in the 80's were pieces of ****. I restored an '89 Corvette and I can tell you it was garbage - and that was a very expensive car at the time.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What did you do with the sensor that goes to the magnetic ride shocks and the ensuing thrown code? Hand held tuner to delete the error or a monkeyhead-sticker over the dashboard light?

Installed a KW delete kit to ensure my dashboard wasn’t all lit up.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Beat me to it....when I put lowering springs on my 18 GT with magna ride I had to have my tuner recalibrate for the difference in spring rate and height.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.