PURCHASED: Audi TT Quattro

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That one is probably 50 hp!!!! And with just a few mods you could get easily up to 60 or maybe 70 hp!!!!! :)

You don't want to go too crazy though with those drum brakes.

:lol: I bought a 1977 280Z in ‘83. Oh God, I thought my car was fast. It was 168hp. I hate to think of the 0-60 time.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: I bought a 1977 280Z in ‘83. Oh God, I thought my car was fast. It was 168hp. I hate to think of the 0-60 time.
I'd say that car was in the 8's on 0-60, which was quite quick at the time.

I had a subscription to Car & Driver in 1988 when I was 12 years old. Cars during that time all had between 90 and 140 horsepower, with 0-60's in the 10+ range. A 5.0 Mustang at that time with 225 horsepower and a 0-60 of 6.2 was an absolute blazer. We've come a long way.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, freaking minivans have 300 hp today and 0-60 times faster than a 84 Mustang GT or IROC Z.

Powering the new 1982 Camaro were the infamous 2.5-liter Iron Duke I-4 producing a measly 90 hp and 132 lb-ft of torque; a 2.8-liter, 102-hp and 142 lb-ft V-6; and two 5.0-liter (305-cubic-inch) V-8s: a carbureted version making 145 hp and 240 lb-ft of torque and a Crossfire Injection fuel-injected version with 165 hp and 240 lb-ft.

Though by modern standards the '82 Camaro Z28 is far from quick, we were so blown away by its performance that we named it our 1982 Motor Trend Car of the Year. Our CFI and automatic-equipped Camaro accelerated from 0 to 60 mph in 9.4 seconds, finished the quarter mile in 17.10 seconds at 80 mph, and stopped from 60 mph in 149 feet.

...in 1983 Chevy also introduced the High-Output 5.0-liter V-8 on the Z28. The new engine used a higher lift and longer duration cam, larger exhaust, and new Quadrajet carburetor to produce 190 hp and 240 lb-ft of torque.

Buyer's Guide: 1982-1992 Chevrolet Camaro - Motor Trend Classic - Motor Trend

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, freaking minivans have 300 hp today and 0-60 times faster than a 84 Mustang GT or IROC Z.

I spent the better part of a year screwing off after I graduated UF. I got a job as a gopher at Brumos Porsche in Jax. I was for certain the only guy with a degree in the wash rack. :lol: The GM took a liking to me. I became the go-to guy for dealer trades all over the SE. I was driving brand-new 911s and 928s everywhere, and having them in my driveway overnight.

Even those cars were embarrassingly slow by today’s standards. Hell, even the Porsche 930 Turbo was a laggard. As Ox said, cars have come a loooooooong way in terms of power.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not exactly a fun backwoods driver. 40 horsepower in a tinny buck of bolts.
Engine size increased to 1.3 liters for 1966 and horsepower rose to 50 at 4600 rpm. There was another bump to 1.5 liters and 53 horsepower for 1967, and a step to 1.6 liters and 57 horsepower for 1970, and finally, to 60 horsepower in 1971.

The 1600s were the quickest Karmann-Ghias, capable of 0-60 mph in about 21 seconds and a top speed of around 82 mph. A switch in final drive for manual-transmission models in 1972 increased top speed to 90 mph. The 1600s also had better stopping power, thanks to their standard front disc brakes.

Whooooaa... disk brakes and 0-60 in 21 seconds!!!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I spent the better part of a year screwing off after I graduated UF. I got a job as a gopher at Brumos Porsche in Jax. I was for certain the only guy with a degree in the wash rack. :lol: The GM took a liking to me. I became the go-to guy for dealer trades all over the SE. I was driving brand-new 911s and 928s everywhere, and having them in my driveway overnight.

Even those cars were embarrassingly slow by today’s standards. Hell, even the Porsche 930 Turbo was a laggard. As Ox said, cars have come a loooooooong way in terms of power.
It was still enough power to get your ass in trouble in one of those 911s. The handling was very quirky and it didn't take much throttle at the wrong time in a turn to end up doing donuts when you didn't want to. Fieros were similar.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lol, I remember the radial tire revolution of the mid-‘70s, these new super grippy tires that ran on low pressure. All the cars were driving in tires that looked like they were going flat. :lol:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Transmission and tire technology also have a lot to do with how much quicker new era cars are as the increases in HP....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It was still enough power to get your ass in trouble in one of those 911s. The handling was very quirky and it didn't take much throttle at the wrong time in a turn to end up doing donuts when you didn't want to. Fieros were similar.

Oh, hell yes. I picked up a Guards Red 911 Targa in Pompano Beach destined for Reeves Porsche in Tampa. I took the back roads across the middle of the state through Indiantown. Yeah, Indiantown, pop 1,218 migrant workers.

I was young and of course oblivious of risk. I’m tooling along this two-lane road in the middle of East Egypt going about 135 when I come up on a semi. I went to pass and for whatever reason he also drifted into the oncoming lane. Oh shyt, what do I do now? I’m going about 142 with all this ass end weight.

My mind flashed to what the Brumos service manager had advised long before. When a 911 rear end gets loose, don’t brake, hit the gas. Very counterintuitive. Sheez, I’m on the shoulder on the opposite side, the car dovetailing like an SOB. I saw my life flash in front of me.

Well, I’m here to tell the story.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Transmission and tire technology also have a lot to do with how much quicker new era cars are as the increases in HP....
Yup, those old trannies couldn't survive at higher HP (350 IROCs getting only autos because the 5 speeds couldnt handle the torque) and the tires couldn't put the torque to the ground without spinning and making smoke instead of speed.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Crete’s probably alluding to the double-clutch transmission. A human ripping up a manual can’t keep up with one of those, esp the PDK. Tires are the tail on the dog.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This was outside the International Plaza a little over a year ago. Trauma and I had gone in to drop off a MacBook for service. We came upon the Tesla store. The guys egged us into a test drive of the Model S P100d. Okay, twist my arm.

(A little background. The P100d is the quickest Tesla ever sold, the quickest product car on the planet. Not top end, but zero to 60. 2.3 seconds. Basically like riding a roller coaster.)

Naturally, I was curious. I took it out first and stomped the pedal. The g-force was palpable, but it felt weird. No torque lurch, totally linear. No engine noise, just the sound of wind. Bubble driving.

This was her turn. She was taken up by the self-driving aspect. I’m sitting in the back seat acting as the peanut gallery.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Crete’s probably alluding to the double-clutch transmission. A human ripping up a manual can’t keep up with one of those, esp the PDK
Even the newer domestic auto's with computer controlled adjustable mapping can be much quicker than a manual....My 10 speed auto is close(not quite) as quick as some of the dual clutches and even rev matches on the downshifts when in Track mode....It makes my 460hp GT quicker 0-60 and probably almost up to an eighth mile before my Shelby(700hp) with a very good Tremec 6 speed manual can catch her....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Crete’s probably alluding to the double-clutch transmission. A human ripping up a manual can’t keep up with one of those, esp the PDK. Tires are the tail on the dog.
Maybe but even the old T5s were too weak for much more than 200 hp and they were pretty much in everything. The later ones were beefed up, but the early ones couldn't handle it.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This was outside the International Plaza a little over a year ago. Trauma and I had gone in to drop off a MacBook for service. We came upon the Tesla store. The guys egged us into a test drive of the Model S P100d. Okay, twist my arm.

(A little background. The P100d is the quickest Tesla ever sold, the quickest product car on the planet. Not top end, but zero to 60. 2.3 seconds. Basically like riding a roller coaster.)

Naturally, I was curious. I took it out first and stomped the pedal. The g-force was palpable, but it felt weird. No torque lurch, totally linear. No engine noise, just the sound of wind. Bubble driving.

This was her turn. She was taken up by the self-driving aspect. I’m sitting in the back seat acting as the peanut gallery.

Now I want one.
My birthday is coming up this month. You can get me one :whistle:

:lol:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’m a weird guy, totally old school. I think I’ve had maybe two cars my whole life that had auto trannies. The other 35 or so all manuals. I just can’t get away from the feeling of being involved through shifting.

I was shopping three or four years ago. I test drove a 991 Carrera S with PDK. I’d not driven one with a PDK. I was looking forward to this one.

I put the sucker in Sport S mode. Wow, the thing drove like a race car. It wouldn’t drive right if you weren’t stomping it, with the PDK relentlessly up shifting to 7th boom boom boom. It was like being in a rocket launcher.

Here’s the rub. There’s no place in this urban jungle I live in to really appreciate Sport S mode.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I keep wondering why I should bother with high-mileage German cars.....I'm not as much of a glutton for punishment after putting way more money in an old Corvette than it's worth. This time I just want to drive and enjoy the damn car, not worry about it breaking.
Grab an old manual 280zx some good deals out there

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@oxrageous you have kids in the house now. You should consider a used RV Project. Think of the tailgates. Schitter's full!
35bfe5f167e4e58e2c078744923250a0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator