Putting Up Peas

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
End of June, peas (and butter beans) are coming in. Time to put up some for the months ahead. This year we are putting up three hampers of Top Pick (white peas), one hamper of Pink Eyes (black eyes), and one hamper of white butter beans. Don’t grow them anymore, so we buy from a local produce outfit. Nice and clean, not old, not buggy.

Step 1 is to rinse and pick out any stems or bad peas…
23B2BD7A-9FBB-421F-9AE1-9E158F73E46E.jpeg
Step 2 is to bring to a boil, blanching the peas, and scooping off the scum that rises…
C5A1747D-93E1-4A9D-A034-D0C974CC220D.jpeg
Step 3 rinse with cold water and spread out for a final going through and to finish cooling…
8568F4A8-9451-4C9C-B938-83F4E3A604F2.jpeg
Step 4 is to bag them up (we do 2 cups per) and then into the freezer…
E8960DA8-638A-4E83-8A88-A7739E47DE1D.jpeg
We get about 10 bags to the hamper. Glad to have them, especially good round the holidays, but any meal is good!

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
End of June, peas (and butter beans) are coming in. Time to put up some for the months ahead. This year we are putting up three hampers of Top Pick (white peas), one hamper of Pink Eyes (black eyes), and one hamper of white butter beans. Don’t grow them anymore, so we buy from a local produce outfit. Nice and clean, not old, not buggy.

View attachment 44694
Step 2 is to bring to a boil, blanching the peas, and scooping off the scum that rises…
View attachment 44695
Step 3 rinse with cold water and spread out for a final going through and to finish cooling…
View attachment 44696
View attachment 44697
We get about 10 bags to the hamper. Glad to have them, especially good round the holidays, but any meal is good!
Nice - thanks for the steps. I’ve never done these before but might try it this year.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Looks good, cover.

I’ve mentioned before that as a kid, I spent hours and hours of my summer doing that and tomatoes(after picking both, yay). Those pics give me flashbacks. But there’s still something great about putting away food to use later that I do enjoy. Nice work.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

View attachment 44694
View attachment 44695
View attachment 44696
View attachment 44697
Nice work Cover. Peas are definitely my favorite.

My SIL grew up in Andalusia, AL - not too far from you I suspect - and still goes home every year to “put up” peas, corn, and other veggies. One year, she had way too many peas and brought us some bags of what she called “cream 8’s”. I’d never heard of them before, but they were delicious. Are you familiar with these and do they have another name?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Looks good, cover.

I’ve mentioned before that as a kid, I spent hours and hours of my summer doing that and tomatoes(after picking both, yay). Those pics give me flashbacks. But there’s still something great about putting away food to use later that I do enjoy. Nice work.
I feel you. Before I was old enough to go and work on my Granddaddy’s farm I would go with my mama and grandmama to the canning plant. It was like standing next to a blast furnace. I recall your recounting of similar experiences. Still, I enjoy putting up the produce. Not only good to eat, but it reminds me of better days. Every time we eat peas, I can see my granddaddy sitting down and chipping up a cayenne pepper into his serving. There was also sliced tomatoes on the table along with cucumber in white vinegar. Those were great days!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nice work Cover. Peas are definitely my favorite.

My SIL grew up in Andalusia, AL - not too far from you I suspect - and still goes home every year to “put up” peas, corn, and other veggies. One year, she had way too many peas and brought us some bags of what she called “cream 8’s”. I’d never heard of them before, but they were delicious. Are you familiar with these and do they have another name?
There’s a line of “Cream” peas, all very good. We have grown the “Cream 40” in the past. Haven’t seen them as much around these parts as we once did. I mentioned in another post that we had been buying “Sedandy” and they are very good. Didn’t have those available this year and got “Top Picks,” also very good. I think the key is getting the peas from the early pickings so you don’t get too many older peas (white instead of green and more firm). We have gotten “Zippers” in the past and as long as they’re young, they’re good. If not, they can be like eating buckshot, to us anyway.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
There’s a line of “Cream” peas, all very good. We have grown the “Cream 40” in the past. Haven’t seen them as much around these parts as we once did. I mentioned in another post that we had been buying “Sedandy” and they are very good. Didn’t have those available this year and got “Top Picks,” also very good. I think the key is getting the peas from the early pickings so you don’t get too many older peas (white instead of green and more firm). We have gotten “Zippers” in the past and as long as they’re young, they’re good. If not, they can be like eating buckshot, to us anyway.
The ones she gave us tasted like they had already been buttered. They were that creamy.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Big success at the farmers market thanks to you @cover2 . I knew more of what to look for today. I was supposed to head over to Alligator Point but the radar said otherwise. Came back and blanched the peas and waiting for them to dry before freezing them. Brought my cooler with me and will take them back home next week.

FAEAB3FE-6799-430E-A256-196CEFC6A3B7.jpeg 9954F6C8-EAAB-4244-9710-2274EC928C90.jpeg

Last edited:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We always put the peas and beans up in their own broth(keep all of that good flavor). That helps alleviate freezer burn also. We have found bags of peas in the bottom of our 28 cu ft chest freezer at least 6 years old with no burn. Love those Lady Finger white acre peas.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Big success at the farmers market thanks to you @cover2 . I knew more of what to look for today. I was supposed to head over to Alligator Point but the radar said otherwise. Came back and blanched the peas and waiting for them to dry before freezing them. Brought my cooler with me and will take them back home next week.

View attachment 44772 View attachment 44773
Heck to the yeah! Redneck Holy Trinity…black eyes, butter beans, and white peas! If this doesn’t elevate you several notches up in Ken-tuck-eee then you may as well come south. Looks great!

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not mentioned here but we blanch sliced okra and creamed corn in the oven. Spray a little "Pam" on your baking pan to help with sticking and stir occasionally for even heating.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We always put the peas and beans up in their own broth(keep all of that good flavor). That helps alleviate freezer burn also. We have found bags of peas in the bottom of our 28 cu ft chest freezer at least 6 years old with no burn. Love those Lady Finger white acre peas.

Thought that was a Scotch egg.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Wife & I scored a bushel of black eyes yesterday, shelled last night. We will blanch and freeze them today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.