Quest for A Million: Top Gator FB Atmospheres You've Been In

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Ok, what are some of the best Gators Football atmospheres you've been in? And what criteria do you use for that decision? I know games are the primary source, but I'm sure if I asked my brother who watched the 2008 Title Game in the O'Connell Center he would probably say that it is a top 5 Gators Football atmosphere he's been in, maybe not. I'm trying not to limit as I know there are probably many posters here who have rarely made games, but may have really awesome stories from watching with a Gator club, or in a bar, or whatever.

Some of my favorites that I've been in are '97 FSU, '15 Ole Miss, the end of '06 Carolina and '15/'17 Tennessee for obvious reasons. For full games definitely the first two. Carolina '06 was hit and miss til the end, but that block was the second loudest I ever heard the Swamp. '08 UGA was a great atmosphere with an electric stadium and the Florida party didn't stop. '16 Tennessee was a great atmosphere for college football in the second half, I have to give it credit, but the way Mac/Nuss shat the bed there was awful. In these games, at times, you could just feel something different in the air and some tense moments in others

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah in terms of decibels and Richter scale moments... '97 noles... the '82 Trojan game not too shabby either.

Last edited:

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
'95 and '99 UT, '91 FSU, '90 AUB my most memorable crowd games that I attended.

The Criteria:

The sheer momentum of the Gator comeback/dominance in that '95 game.

The anticipation and nighttime, primetime sound of the '99 game, and then ratcheted up by Alex Brown's sack-a-lanche.

The importance of beating the highly ranked Noles -- and then Emmitt running around with the flag at the end of the game as my Dad (FSU alum) sat with me for the only time at a Gator game.

'90 Auburn was memorable as the highly ranked Tigers rolled in for an evening/prime time game and we dominated, highlighted by Barber's memorable kick return and the crowd doing different variations of the Wave (slo-mo, speed wave, etc.) on the way to a blowout of Pat Dye and cementing the fact that things were different with Spurrier here now, and it was going to be glorious.

Last edited:

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Been to maybe 15 games but for me this years LSU game was off the charts. Never been in the Swamp when it was that loud after the pick 6.... Ears rang for a couple hours.

Funny thing is we weren't going until wifey's Cousin decided to go, Their Son just started UF. We got tix on Thursday right in front of her Cousin.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Tebow's final game. I stayed at a hotel full of Cincy fans, they were very quiet the next day. Also loved that he had a great throwing game and sat on the 50 yard line. The actual atmosphere was not that great due to the circumstances.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member

I saw this and it was pretty amazing. Urbs and Spurrier on the same field. Gators win.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
91 in the Swamp over the :nole:s

93 in Jax w/ Rhett in the rain and Lott's timely TO over the Dwags

95 in the Swamp in the rain over :utoothless:
96 NC game in NO over the :nole:s
97 in the Swamp over the :nole:s
07 in the Swamp over the :nole:s
09 in the Swamp over the :nole:s

Last edited:

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
In order chronologically for me

• 81 Ole Miss Gator Growl. Senior in HS, my first game at Florida Field. I had seen the Gators play scUM at the OB but they lost to Jim Kellly. That was my first Gator game.
  • 84 Auburn. Knocking Bo out of the game
  • 84 Cocktail Party. BEST EXPERIENCE EVER for me as a Gator fan
  • 84 at FSU at Joke Shambles in the rain. Got arrested. Makes for a great story
  • 85 at Miami. My last trip to the OB. Vinny Testicles predicted a beatdown. Neal and John L. did the beat down.
  • 86 Auburn-Kerwin for 2.
  • 86 at FSU- Holding on Sammy's TD...Kerwin to Ricky in the rain.
  • 89 at LSU. Adrian C. kicks a FG with no time on the clock. Only trip to Corndog. Galen is fired the next day.
  • 90 LSU. My first night game at Florida Field and first time seeing them wear the blue unis.
  • 93 UT. Danny's first start...vs Heath. Danny with 5 tds.
  • 94 UGA at the Swamp-Darren Hambrick int
  • 95 UT second half beat down.
  • 96-South Carolina. Danny's last home game
  • 97 UT-Tony George INT Peyton 0h for four is official
  • 00 USC for the east. Down 21-3...a TD pass to Gaffney that bounced off the helmet of the DB
Had a kid, moved and havent made too many meaningful games since. I go to Mizzou every year they are in Columbia, but those games have not been memorable.

Last edited:

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
'91 fsu was the first gator game I ever attended. That was a great introduction for me to the Swamp. '01 UT even though we lost it was still crazy. The ole miss game with Grier playing his last game in a gator uniform was nuts. Almost felt like the Swamp was back that night.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Tebow's final game. I stayed at a hotel full of Cincy fans, they were very quiet the next day. Also loved that he had a great throwing game and sat on the 50 yard line. The actual atmosphere was not that great due to the circumstances.

I was at this game also. I've been to 3 sugar bowls and this was the only W we got in those 3 I've attended. Tebow had the record for yards from scrimmage in bcs bowls after this game.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
97 fsu was the greatest game experience I’ve ever been to. Just insanely loud from start to finish. Both the 2002 and 2003 Florida-Georgia games were also insane. It was cold as hell both times I remember and there was no chance we should have won either. Both down to the Wire.

96 title game is up there as well.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
"66 Auburn game. I was a kid then and expected a win but Auburn outplayed us most of the game and we were behind very late. SOS did what he usually did but in different fashion, he kicked the winning field goal and went on to become our first Heisman winner. As a side note, I became friends with Jim Bouchillon who played linebacker beside Mike Kolen for Auburn in that game. He remembers it a lot different than me!

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
"66 Auburn game. I was a kid then and expected a win but Auburn outplayed us most of the game and we were behind very late. SOS did what he usually did but in different fashion, he kicked the winning field goal and went on to become our first Heisman winner. As a side note, I became friends with Jim Bouchillon who played linebacker beside Mike Kolen for Auburn in that game. He remembers it a lot different than me!

Is that the same Mike Kolen on the 72 Dolphins?

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Tennessee game in 1995 is one of the best game atmospheres I've ever been to. The Gators were down and came storming back behind Wuerffel to crush those ignorant hayseeds. It was loud and raucous and electric. And, of course, there was this:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb