Question about moving back to Florida

TheMarylandGator

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2022
A serious thread from me with a serious question. Eager to hear your thoughts.

Returning back to Florida. I need to be adjacent to a major airport, as my career requires frequent travel. For personal reasons, I have focused largely on Central Florida with some consideration of South Florida. These locations are where most of my friends are located.

My current thinking, is Southeast of Orlando, with heavy consideration to St Cloud. Open to other considerations. Headed there this week to scout throughout the Orlando area. And by area I mean anything not in proximity to Disneyland.

Considering the following, where would you look?

Things that are important to me:

• Major airport
  • Access to bass fishing/freshwater fishing
  • Some access to the arts/cultural events
  • Single women
  • Good running/cycling/gym
Thanks

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm biased, but I think the Tampa Bay area is better than the Orlando area.

I moved to Pinellas County last year (Gulfport) and really like it. My thought is if you're going to live in Florida you should be near the coast/at the beach. Otherwise, central Florida is no different than living in any other state, being miles from the beach. Orlando? The traffic there is a nightmare.

If you want to be close to the Orlando airport, consider the Cocoa Beach area. The airport is southeast of the city and the toll road goes right to the beach (and back to the airport). Depending on where you are in Melbourne/Cocoa Beach/Canaveral/Brevard, you can get to the airport in 45-60 minutes.

The Tampa airport is nice and easy to get in and out of, but it's limited on direct flights. Orlando is much better for getting non-stop flights. There is also the St. Pete/Clearwater airport which flies to a lot of midwest cities.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Choose your city wisely in case you need to change your chatter name. Something like TheMayoGator, YeehawJunction or Wewahitchka might not be desirable. FloridaGator is probably already taken.

That’s all I got.

TheMarylandGator

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2022
I moved to Pinellas County last year (Gulfport) and really like it. My thought is if you're going to live in Florida you should be near the coast/at the beach. Otherwise, central Florida is no different than living in any other state, being miles from the beach. Orlando? The traffic there is a nightmare.

If you want to be close to the Orlando airport, consider the Cocoa Beach area. The airport is southeast of the city and the toll road goes right to the beach (and back to the airport). Depending on where you are in Melbourne/Cocoa Beach/Canaveral/Brevard, you can get to the airport in 45-60 minutes.

The Tampa airport is nice and easy to get in and out of, but it's limited on direct flights. Orlando is much better for getting non-stop flights. There is also the St. Pete/Clearwater airport which flies to a lot of midwest cities.
Thanks for the feedback. The airport is critical. I'm gone ~100+ days of the year for work. I'm familiar with most of Florida (born and raise, UF) but I've lived in the DC metro area... too long.... Was hoping for something small, country vibe with ample access to freshwater fishing thus why I zeroed in on St Cloud (not Kissimmee). I'll be in the area the next two week driving communities.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Thanks for the feedback. The airport is critical. I'm gone ~100+ days of the year for work. I'm familiar with most of Florida (born and raise, UF) but I've lived in the DC metro area... too long.... Was hoping for something small, country vibe with ample access to freshwater fishing thus why I zeroed in on St Cloud (not Kissimmee). I'll be in the area the next two week driving communities.
Stuart or just south - access to WPB airport or FT Lauderdale

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I moved from the DC area also (I was in Arlington for parts of 13+ years). That area is good for freshwater fishing, for sure. If you're looking for "country vibe" St. Cloud seems like a good location (I'm not overly familiar with it, but have driven through). That area has grown over the years, close to the airport too (and you can avoid I-4). If you're set on Orlando, that seems like a strong choice. I'd rather live closer to the beach though - if you are closer to Cocoa Beach you have the ICW for fishing plus lots of lakes.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My advice, DON’T MOVE BACK!

Kind of like “Once you go black you never go back”. I feel the same way about Florida. But not my wife. She not from Florida and is trying daily to get us (me) to move the family back.

UGH!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Choose your city wisely in case you need to change your chatter name. Something like TheMayoGator, YeehawJunction or Wewahitchka might not be desirable. FloridaGator is probably already taken.

That’s all I got.
Wewahitchka. Ha! My cousin was the AD and football coach there for a bit. Ask @cover2 Funny you bring that town up.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm biased, but I think the Tampa Bay area is better than the Orlando area.

Same thing here.

When I retired I moved back to Gainesville but if I was still working, Tampa would be the place for me.
It has everything good that Orlando has and much less of the negatives.
I could list all the advantages but I would get writers cramp.

Even the airport is ten times better than the Orlando disaster they call an airport.
I would suggest that you strongly consider the Tampa Bay area.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017

Returning back to Florida. I need to be adjacent to a major airport, as my career requires frequent travel. For personal reasons, I have focused largely on Central Florida with some consideration of South Florida. These locations are where most of my friends are located.

My current thinking, is Southeast of Orlando, with heavy consideration to St Cloud. Open to other considerations. Headed there this week to scout throughout the Orlando area. And by area I mean anything not in proximity to Disneyland.

• Major airport
  • Single women
Thanks

Move to the Crystal River area. The Suncoast Parkway is open to SR 44 between C. R. and Lecanto, so TPA is now a breeze from the north gulf side of the state.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
MCO is about as good as a big airport can be. Better than MIA or TPA, and waaaaaay better than that hellhole in Atlanta.

St. Cloud is a good choice if you want easy access to MCO and it's also easy access to the Melbourne area which has the intracoastal and beaches (no traffic, just horse and cattle on either side of 192 between Melbourne and St. Cloud). There's a newer giant planned development out there called Harmony. Hell, I think they have their own city maybe.

If St. Cloud is a little too country for you, the Lake Nona area is much newer and more upscale. They have a little medical research corridor around there including a UF presence. Pricier homes but a more high-end area. Even closer to MCO than St. Cloud and maybe closer to the intracoastal and the ocean but the 417 and the beachline (formerly the beeline) are toll roads. Lake Nona area is closer to good restaurants and stuff to do than St. Cloud, but it's not country.

Alex.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

• Major airport
  • Single women
Thanks

I found your home! It's very close to the Sanford Airport too and bass fishing galore...
1658776124928.png

1658776307235.png

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
My advice, DON’T MOVE BACK!

Kind of like “Once you go black you never go back”. I feel the same way about Florida. But not my wife. She not from Florida and is trying daily to get us (me) to move the family back.

UGH!

She's smart. You should listen to her.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MCO is about as good as a big airport can be. Better than MIA or TPA, and waaaaaay better than that hellhole in Atlanta.
There isn't enough short term parking currently, and while you can get non-stop flights to a lot of places it isn't a hub for any airline.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I found your home! It's very close to the Sanford Airport too and bass fishing galore...
View attachment 46371

View attachment 46372
That’s the world famous Sanford-Orlando INTERNATIONAL Airport (I think they count a flight to Miami as “international”). I also understand there are lots of direct flights on Allegiant to sh!tholes like Harrisburg, PA.

Alex.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Is someone needing property near an airport in central florida?
Excited Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.