Question about moving back to Florida

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
This is not true. I'm typically in line 5 to 10 minutes at MCO.

Maybe I'm just unlucky!
That's my typical wait time in Jax; but kid you not, I've nearly missed two flights from MCO because of long wait lines. One to Puerto Rico, the other to Austin (that one was for the FL-Michigan game in '17...flew into Austin to visit friends, then drove up to Dallas Sat morning). The PR time, the precheck was 1:35 minutes...had to cut people in line at the end. :dunno:

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe I'm just unlucky!
That's my typical wait time in Jax; but kid you not, I've nearly missed two flights from MCO because of long wait lines. One to Puerto Rico, the other to Austin (that one was for the FL-Michigan game in '17...flew into Austin to visit friends, then drove up to Dallas Sat morning). The PR time, the precheck was 1:35 minutes...had to cut people in line at the end. :dunno:
You must be. I arrive at the airport 45 minutes to an hour before my flight. I might add 15 minutes if it's a major holiday.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Nbc GIF by SVU
Go easy on him; he’s much better with Canadian provinces than US states.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I live in Tampa. And I would live nowhere else. If you have a family, North Tampa is probably the best area. I live in the Tampa Palms area.

If you want more rural areas around Tampa, you have areas like Riverview, Lakeland, and Dade City.

But you don’t have to be in Hillsborough County. You can be in Pinellas County which basically runs closer to the coast. That includes Saint Pete, Palm Harbor, Clearwater, etc…

Go to any of these places and within an hour you have access to the gulf coast and any freshwater lakes. All of these locations are with an hour of the airport. Hell, if you like Disney World, it’s only an hour away. It’s an hour and 15 minutes from Universal Studios.

The Tampa airport is by far one of the best airports in the nation. If you have the TSA pre-check, you can basically get to the gate within 10 minutes after you park.

And as far as food goes, the Greater Tampa Bay Area has some of the best restaurants in Florida.

For sports, no NBA, but you have Lightning, Bucs, Rays, and Rowdies. And the Yankees Spring training. And if you want to go to UF games, it’s a straight shot up I75. About 2 hours.

Top tier medical school in USF as well.

For arts and culture, multiple museums part of NARM including the Dali museum in St Pete. You have the Straz Center for performing arts. Amalie Arena and Mid Florida credit union fairgrounds host a bevy of larger scale concerts. Smaller more intimate music scenes are at St Pete, Ybor, Dunedin, and Safety Harbor.

You also have one of the most beautiful ports in any city in Sparkman’s Wharf. Which is in walking distance to the Florida aquarium and Amalie Arena. It used to be known as Channelside. And you also have the Riverwalk.

And I haven’t even mentioned the beaches. The gulf coast has the most beautiful beaches in the world. And the sand is cool to the touch. No more burning your feet on the beach in the summer. Everybody up and down the coast has boats. You can launch your boat out of Anclote Key And go through some of the most beautiful barrier islands. Take your kayak through Wharton island. Go scalloping up in Crystal River.

I could go on and on, but you get the drift.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
And as far as food goes, the Greater Tampa Bay Area has some of the best restaurants in Florida.

And I haven’t even mentioned the beaches. The gulf coast has the most beautiful beaches in the world.
And the sand is cool to the touch. No more burning your feet on the beach in the summer.

1658843138590.gif

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I fly a ton for work and when coming to Florida I avoid MCO like the plague. Give me TPA or RSW any day. Fantastic to get in and out…but direct flights are a bitch. That’s all I got

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
So, we are traveling to the Atlantic coast in two weeks for my great niece's birthday. Flying into Savannah, the family is in Jax. We are looking for a place to buy or build. Don't need a close airport (retired you know) but would like to be close to beaches and military facilities. Brother and family lives in Jax, sister in Pcola, and wife's siblings in Pascagoula and Baton Rouge. I am thinking Charleston, Savannah or St. Augustine area. Any suggestions for looking? Oh, maybe 3 or four acres so we can build a couple of houses.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So, we are traveling to the Atlantic coast in two weeks for my great niece's birthday. Flying into Savannah, the family is in Jax. We are looking for a place to buy or build. Don't need a close airport (retired you know) but would like to be close to beaches and military facilities. Brother and family lives in Jax, sister in Pcola, and wife's siblings in Pascagoula and Baton Rouge. I am thinking Charleston, Savannah or St. Augustine area. Any suggestions for looking? Oh, maybe 3 or four acres so we can build a couple of houses.
Charleston and Savannah are crime-riddled cesspools outside of the tourist areas and suburbs. St. Augustine would be my choice but it won’t be cheap.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Charleston and Savannah are crime-riddled cesspools outside of the tourist areas and suburbs. St. Augustine would be my choice but it won’t be cheap.

Thank you, I did not know that. We're not wedded to the coast but driving distance is good.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017

I would go panhandling if I were in your shoes.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
When the son graduates this year we will be shopping around. Seedy has always asked why I don’t want to move back to FL. I’d consider the panhandle beaches if we did but maybe a nice lake in SC, NC or TN would fit our style better. We need to travel a bit first to see what feels like home.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
When the son graduates this year we will be shopping around. Seedy has always asked why I don’t want to move back to FL. I’d consider the panhandle beaches if we did but maybe a nice lake in SC, NC or TN would fit our style better. We need to travel a bit first to see what feels like home.
When I retired in February 2020, that was our plan. COVID and government put the kybosh on those plans.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
When I retired in February 2020, that was our plan. COVID and government put the kybosh on those plans.
Covid changed everything.
Seedy is now work from home full time so we really could get that RV we’ve always dreamed of and travel until we find our new “home.”

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Covid changed everything.
Seedy is now work from home full time so we really could get that RV we’ve always dreamed of and travel until we find our new “home.”
You know when you were 30, 3 years seemed to take forever and didn't really affect you. At 70, three years go by in a flash and now three years later we are not as spry as before. Git'er done as soon as you can.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
You know when you were 30, 3 years seemed to take forever and didn't really affect you. At 70, three years go by in a flash and now three years later we are not as spry as before. Git'er done as soon as you can.

Ahem, I’m 29.

Still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.