Question for website developers/wordpress gurus?

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
So I decided to get my old personal website mikeandspider.com back up and running. Last year before hiking season I set up a simple site to post pictures and videos of my adventures on. I only had it up for a few months and let my Hostgator account expire. The other day I decided to get the site up and running again but Hostgator no longer had the original site so I decided to start over. I thought I might get a little more elaborate with my design this time so I have been working on it a few days. Keep in mind I am not a computer person but am usually pretty good at figuring out how things work through trial and error.

All that said I am struggling with it this year. I started with a theme template then started replacing the text and pictures with my own. The problem I am having is once I start uploading photos and videos to test it out the pages I have modified revert back to the original theme and wordpress won't let me edit save any changes. Which leads me to my question.

My Hostgator account is on the cheapo $10/month Hatchling plan. I was wondering if there is some size limit on this plan and I might be exceeding that limit? If you click on the link above you will see most of my pages have reverted back to the pictures and text from the original template pictures and text but when I am logged in as the administrator I can see my changes.

Mikeandspider.com – Professional Hikers/Backpackers/Party Animals

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
So I decided to get my old personal website mikeandspider.com back up and running. Last year before hiking season I set up a simple site to post pictures and videos of my adventures on. I only had it up for a few months and let my Hostgator account expire. The other day I decided to get the site up and running again but Hostgator no longer had the original site so I decided to start over. I thought I might get a little more elaborate with my design this time so I have been working on it a few days. Keep in mind I am not a computer person but am usually pretty good at figuring out how things work through trial and error.

All that said I am struggling with it this year. I started with a theme template then started replacing the text and pictures with my own. The problem I am having is once I start uploading photos and videos to test it out the pages I have modified revert back to the original theme and wordpress won't let me edit save any changes. Which leads me to my question.

My Hostgator account is on the cheapo $10/month Hatchling plan. I was wondering if there is some size limit on this plan and I might be exceeding that limit? If you click on the link above you will see most of my pages have reverted back to the pictures and text from the original template pictures and text but when I am logged in as the administrator I can see my changes.

Mikeandspider.com – Professional Hikers/Backpackers/Party Animals
@Taco Gratis

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What is the code standard you are running on? How old is the page?

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
What is the code standard you are running on? How old is the page?
To be honest with you I don't know. I am not real good with terminology or basic computer language. I'm autistic and have the communication skills of an 8 year old, but I am very good at figuring things out and can sometimes do things I don't fully understand. That said I have a plan of action. I'm going to make a backup of where I am right now then start over saving a backup after I finish each page. Then when it screws up again I can at least go back to where I was when it screwed up and maybe analyze what happened.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
To be honest with you I don't know. I am not real good with terminology or basic computer language. I'm autistic and have the communication skills of an 8 year old, but I am very good at figuring things out and can sometimes do things I don't fully understand. That said I have a plan of action. I'm going to make a backup of where I am right now then start over saving a backup after I finish each page. Then when it screws up again I can at least go back to where I was when it screwed up and maybe analyze what happened.

If you haven't already move to HTML5, it's a little more stream line and less overhead than most of the older coding

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
Here is a short screen capture video I did a little while ago showing what is happening. Excuse the quality of the video, when I saved it I saved it at 640P thinking it would be faster to save and upload to Utube than saving it at 1080P. Mistake .

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Here is a short screen capture video I did a little while ago showing what is happening. Excuse the quality of the video, when I saved it I saved it at 640P thinking it would be faster to save and upload to Utube than saving it at 1080P. Mistake .

Nick Burns is on it... ;)
dc3abc21c37a340d467433e8ad230576.gif

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
Just saw this: I presume host gator is setup just like Bluehost. If so, they added a 'Performance' tab to the control panel. This let's you clear and or disable caching on any domain. That might be the easiest way to check. Note, it takes a few minutes.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
Just saw this: I presume host gator is setup just like Bluehost. If so, they added a 'Performance' tab to the control panel. This let's you clear and or disable caching on any domain. That might be the easiest way to check. Note, it takes a few minutes.
Thanks Taco I had suspected a caching issue earlier and have been clearing both my browser cache and the one in wordpress, both had some effect but didn't cure the problem. I never thought of going to the hostgator c-panel and seeing if there is a cache there. Like I said before I'm not a computer person just a regular guy trying to save a buck doing it myself....Last year I ran my website for a few months and never had any issues. I guess I should have kept the old site up, like they say live and learn.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
I finally got my website up. I have no idea what I did right this time but it works the way I want it too. I do have 2 or 3 minor changes I need to make but I'm sort of afraid to mess with it right now. The pictures and videos are just place holders right now until I start hiking again in the spring. BTW in case anybody notices the ring I am wearing in the circle picture in the 2nd video is a 96 National Championship ring LOL there is a story behind that picture but it's a long story.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
Hate to bother you again but I have another question? Do you know anything about a wordpress plugin called Postie? It is supposed to simplify posting to a blog or website from email. I have been trying to set it up but am having problems with the Pop3 settings. I set up a new gmail account to use but when I test the plugin I keep getting the following message: ---- The username and password provided were not accepted for the POP3 server pop.gmail.com on port 995.

Never mind I figured it out....it had to do with the security settings in Gmail.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.