Questions About Depression

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kind of a spin off from the thread on Chris Cornell. I don't really understand depression, how it comes about nor how it specifically affects certain people. In the last few years, I've had a couple of acquaintances who were on medication for depression who wound up taking their own lives. What are the signs/symptoms? I suppose I could look it up, but I find it is easier to get a better understanding, for me at least, from anecdotal conversations.

One funny story (and I hope it is not offensive), but when I was diagnosed in 2012 with Multiple Myeloma, I had to undergo a battery of tests at Shands prior to my stem cell transplant. Most of the tests were physical, but one was a complete psychological assay that was administered by a young, female Korean PhD student. There were about 150 questions and we sat on a couch in sort of a living room setting. She actually asked at one point if I was depressed because of my diagnosis. I told her that I didn't really know, but I didn't think so. I shared that I had about a two week period where I was alternately worried and mad, but quickly resolved to fight hard to overcome what I could and enjoy whatever life would be with my family and friends and that was pretty much my consistent mental state. She then asked if I had ever thought about suicide. Enjoying humor as much as I do, I replied "Suicide? No. Homicide? Oh yeah!" Before I could explain that I was in the school business and it was a frequent joke, she quickly moved to the far side of the couch and the assay concluded very shortly thereafter. My comedic timing was probably not very good. worse than my understanding of depression.

Anyhow, I would appreciate what you all can share.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here's the problem I have with depression. Pretty much everybody deals with it at some point in their lives. We all lose loved ones, get divorces, lose a job, the reasons someone may fall into depression are many. The drugs they like to prescribe for depression often come with warnings about "feeling suicidal" or "thinking suicidal thoughts" to stop usage. Well, if someone commits suicide it's kind of too late to stop taking the drug, huh? Anyway, I've always wondered just how effective these miracle depression drugs are when the side effects are often the exact thing you're trying to avoid...

Legalize weed for medicine. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a person committing suicide while high on weed. At least not if they're "only" high on weed. We all know mixing drugs throws everything out the window (especially when alcohol is involved).

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here's the problem I have with depression. Pretty much everybody deals with it at some point in their lives. We all lose loved ones, get divorces, lose a job, the reasons someone may fall into depression are many.

There's a difference between being sad about losing a loved one, a job, a spouse, etc. and real clinical depression. Sure, everyone can deal with minor depression in their lives...but it's not the same as severe clinical depression.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There's a difference between being sad about losing a loved one, a job, a spouse, etc. and real clinical depression. Sure, everyone can deal with minor depression in their lives...but it's not the same as severe clinical depression.

I don't believe you have to go to some doctor and be diagnosed to feel real depression. Not everybody goes to the doctor about it. Especially men. They tend to deal with things on their own more often than not. Which is also why suicide rates are way higher among men. That's all I'm going to say about that.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed, though I too have a hard time fathoming the deep depression that impacts some people. We're all different and deal with set backs, breakdowns, what have you, differently - and that's completely different than those dealing with clinical depression. It's very sad. I'm pretty lucky to have good mental health, though I've been down and depressed in my life, even when swimming in :bandit:. But I can tell you that I haven't felt any tendencies toward depression since we had our son. Stress for sure, and the pressure to provide for my family and my son's future, but no depression.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed, though I too have a hard time fathoming the deep depression that impacts some people. We're all different and deal with set backs, breakdowns, what have you, differently - and that's completely different than those dealing with clinical depression. It's very sad. I'm pretty lucky to have good mental health, though I've been down and depressed in my life, even when swimming in :bandit:. But I can tell you that I haven't felt any tendencies toward depression since we had our son. Stress for sure, and the pressure to provide for my family and my son's future, but no depression.
It is hard to fathom, and why it's so sad that not more focus is put on mental health.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There is a chemical imbalance in the brain usually, and it effects are deeper than the normal chemically balanced brain. Lacking the ability to process the silverlining or hope, it keeps compounding. People are helped in different ways, weed does help some of those with it. In my experience it also is due to development of the person as a child as well. I knew several people who deal with it on a regular basis, some use prescription to combat it, others live choices, and others choose to try to deal with on their own.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
From my experience, it starts with some anxiety issues and just escalates from there. Once anxiety hits then you start thinking too much about situations that could lead to financial ruin, ruined relationships, etc, and many become overwhelmed by it. Then one will start becoming a bit more reclusive, don't sleep at night and won't get out of bed in the morning, and the physical health also deteriorates. A big issue is false diagnoses as well. What may be first diagnosed as depression may be something else like bipolar disorder. It's actually not easy to identify if you don't know what you are looking for or never dealt with it.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There is a chemical imbalance in the brain usually, and it effects are deeper than the normal chemically balanced brain. Lacking the ability to process the silverlining or hope, it keeps compounding. People are helped in different ways, weed does help some of those with it. In my experience it also is due to development of the person as a child as well. I knew several people who deal with it on a regular basis, some use prescription to combat it, others live choices, and others choose to try to deal with on their own.
This is spot on. A lot of people don't understand that there's a chemical imbalance and it actually can be hereditary as well, just like many other things. When people don't seek help, let their ego get in the way, can "handle" it on their own, they don't realize they do other things that can compound the issue such as drinking or doing drugs, even casual drugs. They also don't get things right in the daily life that unexpectantly adds to the issue.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
It is hard to fathom, and why it's so sad that not more focus is put on mental health.
I think because for MANY years it was a cause for embarrassment. Something to hide. A sign of weakness and probably just a result of poor decisions. It is so different than fixing a heart or broken bone or removing a cancer. It is in the brain with so many variables. Insurance companies probably dont want to pay for it. Mental things are harder to treat it seems and nobody wants to admit it.................so they self medicate or worse.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I think many here have hit on great points. I think there is a difference between mental health and depression at times even though they can sinc togethor in the end at times. I've known people that had bad depression and it basically rendered them numb and almost uncaring of anything around them. Some have seeked help and basically it was take these pills, but the side affects at times weren't worth it. Eventually they just snap out of the spell for a little while until the next one comes. They almost need to be forced to go and talk to someone because I've gotten plenty of you just don't understand and I can't even just try to do this small task.

Mental issues are a completely different animal. From my experience with the childhood friend I mentioned in the other post 99% of the time you could not tell anything was amidst. Happiest guy in the world, but just had 1 issue he could not let go of. There were a few signs along the way, but not many. Usually when something emotional happened in his life like a breakup or fight with a parent. Then one night after a few cold ones it would rear its head and the emotions would flow. Next morning back to normal for months to years before anything came up again. We found out later that he had an uncle in a psychiatric ward and started putting some hereditary things togethor.

I will say this though since 2001 society has started to understand these things better but still a ways to go.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But I can tell you that I haven't felt any tendencies toward depression since we had our son. Stress for sure, and the pressure to provide for my family and my son's future, but no depression.
This is what I can relate to. I still have about seven years before I'm fully vested in my school retirement. Of course, we have some other funds, but when thinking about the time left until I can fully retire without penalty, with less than ideal health and two kids in college, I feel the stress Bart talks about. If I dwell on it, I find myself getting more angry than ever feeling down or like I'm faced with an insurmountable task. The anger comes from not having been able to put aside as much as I feel like I should have throughout my marriage and working years. I eventually calm down and realize we are in better shape than I am imagining. I had a pretty meager upbringing, but I really didn't know that we didn't have anything, so I never learned to worry much about those kind of things. I saved that for the teenage years ;). But again, I really remember anger more than anything like a depressed state.

I think because for MANY years it was a cause for embarrassment. Something to hide. A sign of weakness and probably just a result of poor decisions. It is so different than fixing a heart or broken bone or removing a cancer. It is in the brain with so many variables. Insurance companies probably dont want to pay for it. Mental things are harder to treat it seems and nobody wants to admit it.................so they self medicate or worse.
One of my wife's cousins has a son that's been diagnosed as depressed. He graduated HS top five in his class and received a four-year scholarship to FSU. He went part of one semester and dropped out and has been staying up all night playing video games and sleeping all day for four years now. His dad died when he was in HS, so I guess that's the trigger. His life otherwise has been pretty good, but he can't get out of this state. His mom says each day he gets a little farther from being a whole person. Just very puzzling to me.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
The anger comes from not having been able to put aside as much as I feel like I should have throughout my marriage and working years. me.

This is me. I am still a long way from retirement and feel like I am so far behind already. My wife doesn't get it but it keeps me up some nights. I feel like no matter how good things are I'll work forever.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
This is me. I am still a long way from retirement and feel like I am so far behind already. My wife doesn't get it but it keeps me up some nights. I feel like no matter how good things are I'll work forever.

A lot of us in this same boat. I had these feelings for a long time and very recently. I finally got something I have been waiting for a long time for. Plus my wife tells me focus on what we have, not what you don't have. It gets better trust me.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
when my 1st wife & I separated, we went thru a program for our oldest son because it was really affecting him, and his behavior.
The gentleman who taught the program was a certified counselor and he told me during that time that depression medication is to get the depressed person up out of bed and to a counselor, not to cure the depression. The counseling is what helps the depressed person, not the medication.

I didn't know it until later, but my X was depressed and on anti-depressants. She always wanted more than we had, but we always moved around because she didn't ever want to be in any one place very long. Never saitsfied. Everyone I know tells me how miserable she looks when they see her, so I'm not sure I was the issue, or that her meds are helping. Her life has definitely taken a spiral downward path. There was a period of almost 2 years where I raised our 3 kids almost entirely by myself because she was off doing what she wanted to.

I may be wrong on this, but the chemical imbalance is in the serotonin level of the depressed persons brain. The serotonin levels are low and most depression medicine raises those levels. Serotonin maintains the mood balance, and when it's low, mood drops and depression sets in.
There are also chemicals in the depression medications that blocks some parts of the brain from feeling remorse, or bad, about decisions/choices that are made. This may be why people on these meds have suicidal thoughts. It's also what helps them get to the out of bed state to talk with someone.

I'm pretty well convinced that talking it out is the long term answer to getting through.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I find it interesting that the known pot heads here were the first to respond. :scratchchin:

Does smoking pot cause depression that those who smoke it have a unique perspective of? Or maybe smoking pot turns you into a psychiatrist? All interesting topics.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I find it interesting that the known pot heads here were the first to respond. :scratchchin:

Does smoking pot cause depression that those who smoke it have a unique perspective of? Or maybe smoking pot turns you into a psychiatrist? All interesting topics.

There is lots of anecdotal evidence out there that cannabis helps with depression, without the "I wanna kill myself, or someone who's responsible for making me depressed" side effects of the pills doctors like to push on people who suffer from depression.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
There is lots of anecdotal evidence out there that cannabis helps with depression, without the "I wanna kill myself, or someone who's responsible for making me depressed" side effects of the pills doctors like to push on people who suffer from depression.
So it's possible people are smoking pot because they are depressed. Not the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator