Raiders Cut Ruggs…Kills Woman and Dog in Suspected DUI

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Two thoughts…

Based on the thread title, it appears the Raiders killed the woman and her dog. Quality reporting.

It seems to me that alcohol and/or the vehicle killed the woman and her dog, NOT Ruggs. The only logical action is to dial back to the days of Prohibition and also create tighter vehicle control laws… or just ban vehicles altogether.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Assuming he is guilty, lock him up and throw away the key. From a purely football standpoint, this hurts the raiders. He is on pace for another 1k season.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Two thoughts…

Based on the thread title, it appears the Raiders killed the woman and her dog. Quality reporting.

It seems to me that alcohol and/or the vehicle killed the woman and her dog, NOT Ruggs. The only logical action is to dial back to the days of Prohibition and also create tighter vehicle control laws… or just ban vehicles altogether.
Using that logic, I bet you also believe that people don't kill people, guns do... As with guns, the person operating the vehicle is, or should be, fully responsible for the misuse of it. Ruggs was behind the wheel (i.e., in control though since he had a fatal accident maybe not...) so therefore his actions caused the death of the woman.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Using that logic, I bet you also believe that people don't kill people, guns do... As with guns, the person operating the vehicle is, or should be, fully responsible for the misuse of it. Ruggs was behind the wheel (i.e., in control though since he had a fatal accident maybe not...) so therefore his actions caused the death of the woman.

I think you need to check your sarcasm meter.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
As a dumb “invincible” college kid, I’m ashamed to admit that I’ve gotten behind the wheel when I shouldn’t have.

That changed IMMEDIATELY, when I was clerking for a judge and saw my first DUI Homicide sentencing. Not including the deceased victim, the lives of the victims family, the defendant, the defendants family are forever impacted.

2 sets of kids who will be without daddy for their youths or permanently.

It’s so sad, and so preventable. Get a damn Uber.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
As a dumb “invincible” college kid, I’m ashamed to admit that I’ve gotten behind the wheel when I shouldn’t have.

That changed IMMEDIATELY, when I was clerking for a judge and saw my first DUI Homicide sentencing. Not including the deceased victim, the lives of the victims family, the defendant, the defendants family are forever impacted.

This. I wish it had stopped that early for me. DUI’s are tricky because whether most will admit it or not, just about everyone has been behind the wheel when they shouldn’t have, even if only slightly buzzed. We just found more favorable circumstances that evening. Sucks that these stories end up being reminders for us all. And probably worse than murder for Riggs because he’ll have to live with the fact that it was a preventable accident. Sad story all around.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This. I wish it had stopped that early for me. DUI’s are tricky because whether most will admit it or not, just about everyone has been behind the wheel when they shouldn’t have, even if only slightly buzzed. We just found more favorable circumstances that evening. Sucks that these stories end up being reminders for us all. And probably worse than murder for Riggs because he’ll have to live with the fact that it was a preventable accident. Sad story all around.

Also remember he talks all the time about his best friend dying at 17 from an auto accident.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Also remember he talks all the time about his best friend dying at 17 from an auto accident.
Exactly. Now he can tell his cellmates about his best friend in high school AND his best hoe dying in auto accidents...

CORRECTION: Ruggs and the woman in his car were both transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The woman in the vehicle he hit was the one that died.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Exactly. Now he can tell his cellmates about his best friend in high school AND his best hoe dying in auto accidents...

CORRECTION: Ruggs and the woman in his car were both transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The woman in the vehicle he hit was the one that died.

It's careless behavior, I get that. But again, there are millions of people every Friday night that probably fit the description of driving under the influence. Considering all the nonsense that the NFL puts up with, like teams actively signing Watson, I'm not going to crucify someone for making a mistake with no ill intent. He'll face his consequences and live with this the rest of his life. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

When I lived in Jax and would go to the games regularly (through 2007), I parked right across from the stadium and one of the guys that parked there was a lawyer who started as an ADA prosecuting DUI's. I met him on the gatorcountry message boards years earlier, good guy (from the Leesburg area). Anyhow, I hadn't heard from him in years. Last year the guy I would go to the games w/ texted me w/ a link to an article from about 10 years ago - the guy had just gotten out of jail after serving 9+ years for DUI manslaughter; the judge threw the book at him saying something like "you being a former ADA should have known better" and they gave him the maximum sentence to ensure there was no favoritism claims. He got in touch w/ my friend and told him, said something like, "I just returned from being a ward of the state for the last ten years..." He apparently left the Arkansas game (in Gainesville) and crashed into somebody on his way home. Oooof!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Before my current employer I worked as a do all IT person and toy sales person for a small construction rental company in Tampa (got to meet and get to know a few of Bucs players through it). One of the customers of both the construction rental company and the toy store (specializing in die cast construction models) was this younger dude who was in his mid twenties who worked for his dad's construction company. He was a good customer, loved to talk sports, and just always a really happy dude. Then I didn't see him for like six months, and his dad came in while I was shutting down the toy side of the business one Friday night. He asked if he could come in, and I let him in, I was counting the cash making sure the totals equaled out. He told me he had just left the court house his son just pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter and he got sentenced to in state prison. He and his buddy got drunk and were driving some back roads north of Tampa on their way back from a party and the Truck spun out and into a lake. He was able to get out, but his friend didn't. When the cops got there they found him trying to swim down to get his friend out. Not only did it ruin his life but he lost his best friend he had grown up with all due to a lapse in judgement.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

WOW, you really don’t detect sarcasm at all. Not sure Gator Chatter is the place for you.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
It's careless behavior, I get that. But again, there are millions of people every Friday night that probably fit the description of driving under the influence. Considering all the nonsense that the NFL puts up with, like teams actively signing Watson, I'm not going to crucify someone for making a mistake with no ill intent. He'll face his consequences and live with this the rest of his life. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

For a variety of reasons, I rarely drink and have never been drunk, behind the wheel or at any other time. So, I have a lot less sympathy for those who take this risk. Nobody can claim they hadn’t heard the warnings, likely as early as middle school. Too many kids think “that happens to other people, not me.” Just stupid.

If I stepped on any toes, it’s probably a sign that you should move your feet.

Edit: I admit I’m far from perfect. I’m an incredibly stupid guy too. My stupidity is just slightly less fatal than the current topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator