Rams/Saints no-call

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Probably cost New Orleans a trip to the Super Bowl.

NBA-like officiating.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There are one of these types of calls every post season, as mentioned above the roughing the passer call on Brady where the DLinemen didn't even touch Brady turned a 3rd and 10 (if memory is correct) incomplete into a 7 point scoring drive. If one team is clearly better than another, it won't come down to one play or one call/missed call. Saints should have put this game away earlier, at home where they dominated the first half.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
There are one of these types of calls every post season, as mentioned above the roughing the passer call on Brady where the DLinemen didn't even touch Brady turned a 3rd and 10 (if memory is correct) incomplete into a 7 point scoring drive. If one team is clearly better than another, it won't come down to one play or one call/missed call. Saints should have put this game away earlier, at home where they dominated the first half.

I agree. If this happens in the first half, it's probably a non-story outside of New Orleans. It sucks that it happens late, but there are bad calls throughout and outside of unique cases, they tend to even out overall. Games are lost by plays not being made, and coaches not getting it done(see Reid).

That said, this was terrible no-call, and I'd love to hear the explanation of why they called it that way. I'm even more surprised that another official didn't step in and call it.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Actually read a couple of articles this morning about the games and the SB matchup that didn’t even mention this call. How the fvkk do you not mention that call? This game should be called Super Bowl Liii- Patriots vs Rams with the no-call.

No, not a Saints fan, just detest sh!tty officiating.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. If this happens in the first half, it's probably a non-story outside of New Orleans. It sucks that it happens late, but there are bad calls throughout and outside of unique cases, they tend to even out overall. Games are lost by plays not being made, and coaches not getting it done(see Reid).

That said, this was terrible no-call, and I'd love to hear the explanation of why they called it that way. I'm even more surprised that another official didn't step in and call it.

I agree on the terrible no call.... but seeing how in both games they were letting the DB's have a little more "space" to grab and fight. I wouldn't doubt there were other plays in this game just as bad. I heard they have already talked to Sean Payton (about 15 minutes after the game, saying it's one they missed). But Goodell isn't probably going to address it unless asked on Super Bowl week.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Actually read a couple of articles this morning about the games and the SB matchup that didn’t even mention this call. How the fvkk do you not mention that call? This game should be called Super Bowl Liii- Patriots vs Rams with the no-call.

No, not a Saints fan, just detest sh!tty officiating.

they are selling the Super Bowl between the Rams and Patriots, which doesn't involve the Saints. That was over 12 hours ago, and is a done issue. They can't go back and replay the game.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't just interference. It was helmet-to-helmet, too. The league's head of officials admitted the refs blew the call.

MADGator

Jan 28, 2015

Milk and ducks? Comparing the Brady call to the no-call is ludicrous. One happened in the mosh pit with arms and legs and bodies of ten to twelve men flailing all over, the other was two men, ten feet from the ref.

MADGator

Jan 28, 2015
they are selling the Super Bowl between the Rams and Patriots, which doesn't involve the Saints. That was over 12 hours ago, and is a done issue. They can't go back and replay the game.

Yeah, I understand completely. It will take longer for fans to forget, and not just Saints fans, but the media is done with it. Until if and when the league makes a statement about all the game changing missed or no-calls. You can add the missed pick play no-call on the Chiefs touchdown at the end to the list. But that one was worth it just see Belichick heave his iPad.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Milk and ducks? Comparing the Brady call to the no-call is ludicrous. One happened in the mosh pit with arms and legs and bodies of ten to twelve men flailing all over, the other was two men, ten feet from the ref.

Saints fan? How is it ludicrous, the call doesn't get call.. you are at 4th down, and possibly don't score. The PI gets called Saints get the ball back run another 1+ min off the clock and at least still get the field goal. But the Saints got the ball first in OT, and gave it to the Rams. It's not like the game ended on that call, or on the Brady call.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
As usual, Doug is completely wrong. The NFL can do just that.

Consider Rule 17, Section 2, Article 1: “The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which the Commissioner deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game.”

Even though Rams defensive back Nickell Robey-Coleman admits that he opted to wipe out Saints receiver Tommylee Lewis because Robey-Coleman believed he’d been beaten for a touchdown, it’s hard to imagine this being the kind of “extraordinarily unfair” act that would have a major effect on the outcome of the game. Then again, the rule is there for a reason; if ever it would be invoked, wouldn’t now be the time to do it?

And here’s where it gets even juicier. Consider Rule 17, Section 2, Article 3: “The Commissioner’s powers under this Section 2 include . . . the reversal of a game’s result or the rescheduling of a game, either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred.”

Basically, the Commissioner has the power to turn back time to the spot of the penalty that wasn’t called, put the teams back on the field from that point in the game, give the Saints first and goal at the spot of the foul, put 1:49 on the clock, and let the game proceed, tied at 20, with the Rams having one time out left.

Commissioner has authority to take action over Rams-Saints outcome, in theory

I think Goodell will simply reschedule the entire game. Expect an announcement shortly.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I heard that the ref believed the hit took place simultaneous with the ball arrival, and why he didn’t throw the flag.

Doesn’t explain the helmet to helmet.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You sir, may eat sh!t.
:butthurt:

I don't care for either team so it didn't matter to me who won, but I will say that Saints fans are extremely annoying, drunken idiots, so I'm kinda glad it went down the way it did. The Saints had their chance to still win it in overtime and they choked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.