Rams/Saints no-call

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When commentators outright say on the air that they no longer even know what a catch is, we've officially got a problem. That's all a product of tinkering for isolated circumstances.

This is my issue with the rulebook, too many details that dictate what a penalty is compared to what isn't. We all know what a catch is, we don't needs 40 different details to make sure it is a catch.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It isn't more replay reviews, it's just you are able to throw the flag to review it. I disagree with it, because 90% it's a judgement call.

It will also be ruled PI in probably 99% of the cases as there's almost always some contact. And the only time a coach would use the challenge is if there is some visible evidence of contact. So they may as well just give the coaches a flag to throw once a half to guarantee a first down/spot foul because it will never not be called PI. It wouldn't a challenge flag. It would be a get out of jail free card. Turnovers would be overturned, scores taken away, etc. Total disaster.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It will also be ruled PI in probably 99% of the cases as there's almost always some contact. And the only time a coach would use the challenge is if there is some visible evidence of contact. So they may as well just give the coaches a flag to throw once a half to guarantee a first down/spot foul because it will never not be called PI. It wouldn't a challenge flag. It would be a get out of jail free card. Turnovers would be overturned, scores taken away, etc. Total disaster.

I hate the PI rule being a spot foul as it is now, this would make it worse. QB/WR know if they just pretend to go up for a ball, while jumping into a defender it's free yardage over 50%, now a coach will throw it when a receiver away from the play gets touched on a route for free yardage.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
And your opinion matters because?
Interesting. So being a fan of a team means your opinions about that team don’t matter. If that’s the case, what the point of this entire message board.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This is my issue with the rulebook, too many details that dictate what a penalty is compared to what isn't. We all know what a catch is, we don't needs 40 different details to make sure it is a catch.

But between the Dez rule, the Calvin Johnson rule, the "did he control it as it was bouncing off the ground rule, and the is he now a runner rule, it's practically unbearable to watch. Yes, we all know what is a catch. But we don't always know what will be called a catch.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But between the Dez rule, the Calvin Johnson rule, the "did he control it as it was bouncing off the ground rule, and the is he now a runner rule, it's practically unbearable to watch. Yes, we all know what is a catch. But we don't always know what will be called a catch.
:exactly: honestly one of the smartest things the NFL was tell the officials to go by what is a catch in the Super Bowl last year instead of the rules on the book. Before cleaning out the garbage in that "rule" in the offseason. Even though it did help the Eagles and their questionable fanbase.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I received an email from a friend who was born in LA. She wanted me to sign a Petition demanding a replay of the last 2 min. of the game. I politely refused because Official mistakes are part of the game just like fumbles and interceptions. . Move on!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I received an email from a friend who was born in LA. She wanted me to sign a Petition demanding a replay of the last 2 min. of the game. I politely refused because Official mistakes are part of the game just like fumbles and interceptions. . Move on!

Good move on your part. That whole "play the last 2 min over again" doesn't even work anyway. There are numerous variables that existed in that original 2 min that wouldn't be present in the rematch, or vice versa. A gassed DB might take the right angle on a tackle or pass breakup that he couldn't when he was 3 hours into a game. A RB might be stronger in the rematch. An injured player that was unable to play may be able to a week later. Fans that showed up Sunday may not be able to do so next weekend. On and on. It all sounds great until you really look at the details. As you and Ox said, it sucks but it is part of the game unfortunately. Time to move on.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
And so there is an asterix next to LA Won on a bad call.
You can tell yourself that all you want, but what really happened is the Rams won on a 57 yard field goal in overtime after Drew Brees threw and interception while being hit by gator.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
please don't attempt to take my statement out of context. The following sentences after the ones you highlighted make it clear that despite what we believe would be likely, we have no idea the actual outcome. Further muddying the likelihood of clock milking actions was Sean Payton's deliberate (and supremely stupid) play calling up to that point that did the exact opposite of milking the clock. So stupid in fact the announcers were openly questioning what the hell he was thinking. The simple fact is we have no idea what would have happened if they had thrown a flag and Nola had gotten a 1st.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting. So being a fan of a team means your opinions about that team don’t matter. If that’s the case, what the point of this entire message board.
No, not at all. It means your comment about the "whiny" opinions on this thread has, at best, limited credibility because you are a Rams fan.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
You can tell yourself that all you want, but what really happened is the Rams won on a 57 yard field goal in overtime after Drew Brees threw and interception while being hit by gator.

And the Rams only got there on a call or non-call that was SO BAD a Pop Warner Ref would have called it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And the Rams only got there on a call or non-call that was SO BAD a Pop Warner Ref would have called it.

Again, that wasn't the only non-call that changed the rhythm of the game, what would that drive me like, if instead of 3, the Saints needed 7? Because when a DLinemen has his hand in the cage, and the qb head twists 90 degrees that's an obvious face mask a pop warner ref should catch.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Ncaa reviews every play with helmet to helmet. There's gotta be a way to fix it.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
They didn't stop the Rams drive for a FG and Brees **** the bed with a chance to drive and win.

Suck it up you FEMA teet sucking buttercups.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
So what. Bad calls happen all the time. Championship teams nut up and get the job done. The Saints didn’t do that.

Still tainted and you know it. That game will forever be known for that play.

I hate winning that way.

How many Gators remember getting robbed by Tennessee?

Face it, you can't enjoy it. REFS gave you that win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.