Rams/Saints no-call

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
We all agree that it was a horrible no-call and it cost The Saints an opportunity to win the game.
The missed facemask against Goff also denied The Rams a first down and the possibility of scoring a TD.
ANY missed call affects the game, the rhythm of the offense, field position, etc..
The point is that there are going to be missed calls--some more critical than others-- relative to the final outcome of the game.
I don't understand how the refs missed that call, but there is no question that it denied The Saints an opportunity to win the game.
I keep thinking that if this same scenario happened to UF in the SEC Championship, we would all be LIVID!

That being understood--and as much i hate the long, drawn-out replay reviews--I think the only solution is to allow the coaches to challenge such no-calls; The team loses the challenge, the team loses a time out.
The other solution is to elevate the level of officiating through training, wages, etc.. However, there will always be the human element, and mistakes will be made.
If you want to think of it as "it's juat a part of sports," then imagine if was your team, your organization, your money, your legacy.
And I was rooting for The Rams.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's so simple. If you're going to use instant replay for completions, in-bounds catches, fumbles, picks and touchdowns, for the love of God use it for officiating.

Why are we coddling the men who line up in zebras at the risk of the integrity of the game?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It's so simple. If you're going to use instant replay for completions, in-bounds catches, fumbles, picks and touchdowns, for the love of God use it for officiating.

Why are we coddling the men who line up in zebras at the risk of the integrity of the game?
So games don't go for 8 hours?

When the hell does it stop? Game flow matters. The sport is supposed to be watchable.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

When the hell does it stop? Game flow matters. The sport is supposed to be watchable.
How long would Sunday's no-call have taken to reverse? Thirty seconds?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
How long would Sunday's no-call have taken to reverse? Thirty seconds?
Again, when does it stop? Is every friggin' PI penalty reviewed, because there are about a dozen in every game. Plus, while that particular one was obvious, many of them are nothing but a judgement call.

Replay on PI is a huge can of worms and the NFL damn well knows it, which is why they haven't implemented it long before now. If they start, IMO it's going to do more harm than good, and it isn't close.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Touchdowns and Turnovers are the only types of plays with automatic replays. Once we start reviewing non-calls, at what level does it stop. Do we review non-calls on holding? face mask? two many men on the field? offsides?

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Still tainted and you know it. That game will forever be known for that play.

I hate winning that way.

How many Gators remember getting robbed by Tennessee?

Face it, you can't enjoy it. REFS gave you that win.
I enjoyed the hell out of that win and will continue to do so. You on the other hand can continue your pity party, while I'm busy getting ready for my Super Bowl party.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't know that Goodell leased Refs from the SEC last Sunday. Sure looked like it. What a way to lose a game.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Touchdowns and Turnovers are the only types of plays with automatic replays. Once we start reviewing non-calls, at what level does it stop. Do we review non-calls on holding? face mask? two many men on the field? offsides?
Too many men is reviewable, if I'm not mistaken. The question isn't about time or watchability(new word?)...it's about getting the right outcome. There's way too much technology available to have 8 mistakes or more per game. They should've chipped the ball long ago for 1st downs and TDs. Maybe there are areas they can speed the game up to offset the new delays.

My point is that the human element should be mitigated just out of human error alone.

I have no problem with an extra official or two watching games either via a video feed or from some type of viewpoint higher than field level.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I get so tired of nfl players whining about bad calls. You want to make sure the refs don’t cost you the game? Beat the hell out of the other team so a bad call can’t change the outcome.

A bad call is adversity: like a bad tip, bad bounce, gust of wind, etc. winners overcome it.

Winners don’t complain about video replay and how they were robbed when faced with adversity.

They win.

Hey sean Peyton, if you didn’t pass twice in that situation you would have won. There, I resolved the controversy. Don’t be a moron, and you don’t need the replay.

Winners win, losers make excuses.

Jake from State Farm

I'm wearing Khakis, why?
Sep 6, 2014
I get so tired of nfl players whining about bad calls. You want to make sure the refs don’t cost you the game? Beat the hell out of the other team so a bad call can’t change the outcome.

A bad call is adversity: like a bad tip, bad bounce, gust of wind, etc. winners overcome it.

Winners don’t complain about video replay and how they were robbed when faced with adversity.

They win.

Hey sean Peyton, if you didn’t pass twice in that situation you would have won. There, I resolved the controversy. Don’t be a moron, and you don’t need the replay.

Winners win, losers make excuses.

This makes sense to me.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Everyone of us on here LOVE college football and believe it’s the best game, period. They go on for 4 hours regularly and if you add in OT can be much longer. The NFL has figured out a way to speed up the game to 3 hours, tops, regularly.

I think the biggest problems with the Refs is the game is too damn fast for them. Look at them, most of them are old farts. It’s just way too fast and their heads aren’t on a swivel.

I’m also on record that the sAints just need to STFU. I mean come on, Sean Peyton complaining about officiating and integrity? This is the guy who was suspended an entire year for Bounty Gate? I mean, come on.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This makes absolutely no sense to me. Everyone of us on here LOVE college football and believe it’s the best game, period. They go on for 4 hours regularly and if you add in OT can be much longer. The NFL has figured out a way to speed up the game to 3 hours, tops, regularly.

I think the biggest problems with the Refs is the game is too damn fast for them. Look at them, most of them are old farts. It’s just way too fast and their heads aren’t on a swivel.

I’m also on record that the sAints just need to STFU. I mean come on, Sean Peyton complaining about officiating and integrity? This is the guy who was suspended an entire year for Bounty Gate? I mean, come on.
College football games are too damn long too. The targeting rule is a travesty.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
College football games are too damn long too. The targeting rule is a travesty.
I agree and think they need to figure out how to speed up the game. Keep the clock moving after 1st Downs and so on. But the NFL game is just too fast for the Refs. The players, athletes, and such are moving at lightning speeds. Hell, TV has a replay up in 5 seconds after the play is finished. A quick review from the box wouldn’t slow it that much.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And the Rams only got there on a call or non-call that was SO BAD a Pop Warner Ref would have called it.

Hmmm, you know, as long as we’re speculating, the pass might not have been caught anyway. So therefore this argument is silly.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Still tainted and you know it. That game will forever be known for that play.

I hate winning that way.

How many Gators remember getting robbed by Tennessee?

Face it, you can't enjoy it. REFS gave you that win.

:lol:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree and think they need to figure out how to speed up the game. Keep the clock moving after 1st Downs and so on.

Watch out I got crushed (like the dudes crushed your mom last night) for suggesting this a couple of weeks ago.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Too many men is reviewable, if I'm not mistaken. The question isn't about time or watchability(new word?)...it's about getting the right outcome. There's way too much technology available to have 8 mistakes or more per game. They should've chipped the ball long ago for 1st downs and TDs. Maybe there are areas they can speed the game up to offset the new delays.

My point is that the human element should be mitigated just out of human error alone.

I have no problem with an extra official or two watching games either via a video feed or from some type of viewpoint higher than field level.

12 men on the field isn't an auto review the others are (unless something has changed). Though I agree in points that the tech is there, there has to be a medium. The reason instant replay was removed initially is because the game because unwatchable. You would have these long replays that were happening too frequently. If you want to say that a call like PI is reviewable by challenge flag, I would be more in line with that. But you do have to be concerned with time, advertisers, etc.. it's a business. The human element will be there for as long as we are alive, because how many plays would be stopped for holding if it was called it actually happened?

Gator-Don

The Master of Sparks and Fire
Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
Where are you are wrong is that the correct call in that situation effectively ended the game. The rest of your stuff is spot on, but I don’t think it really applies to this instance. This was a call that in and of itself altered the result of the game.
Exactly! if the call was correct there wouldn't have been an overtime. Should be simple. This entire thread, considering how many members have exposed themselves as intractable hard heads, deserves a face slap.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
NFL games are slow enough as it is without adding another layer of reviews. Flags on almost every play. No continuity at all and very boring compared to college. Human error is part olf the game and I think the NFL told the refs to keep their flags in their pockets Sunday and both games had way fewer interruptions and were more fun to watch than regular season games. I get that the missed call would have ended the game in New Orleans' favor. But bitching and moaning by Sean Payton had to get his own players distracted where they couldn't bear down afterwards and win the game. And now the Saints are talking about the integrity of the league!!! This from a team that was paying players to hurt their opponents???!!!Remember BountyGate? Of all teams to be talking integrity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.