Rams/Saints no-call

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

So if the refs call the face mask in the Rams drive before, and the Rams get 1st and goal from the 1. How does that change your thoughts. Or are we only concerned with the missed call on the Saints side of the field?

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I’ve never seen a bigger bunch of whiny babies than this thread. It was a terrible call no doubt. But as has been pointed out, there were plenty of bad calls throughout the game including the face mask of Goff. There also were multiple delay of game penalties not called on NO and both secondaries were mugging receivers all game long. All that said, my Rams perceviered and the Saints didn’t. All you Saints apologists can cry in your gumbo all offseason for all I care. I’ll be busy watching the team that got it done at the end playing in the Super Bowl!

And so there is an asterix next to LA Won on a bad call.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
So if the refs call the face mask in the Rams drive before, and the Rams get 1st and goal from the 1. How does that change your thoughts. Or are we only concerned with the missed call on the Saints side of the field?

They were terrible and this was a play-off

I don't want missed calls on either side.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
th

:therethere:
:poop:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They were terrible and this was a play-off

I don't want missed calls on either side.

The officials were bad... but the calls didn't decide the game. Both teams had an opportunity after the two major missed calls in the 4th quarter.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
It was a horrible no call. But there were others missed in that game that balance it out in my opinion. Refs sucked in that game and I bet they are getting some counseling for ALL the missed calls.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
The officials were bad... but the calls didn't decide the game. Both teams had an opportunity after the two major missed calls in the 4th quarter.

Again...The officials sucked...this was one of the biggest NFL games of the season.

There is NO excuse to miss calls like this.

This was Pop Warner.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Again...The officials sucked...this was one of the biggest NFL games of the season.

There is NO excuse to miss calls like this.

This was Pop Warner.

the two crews that were on this weekend, were among the highest rated officials in the league all season long. If these are the best of the best, then either the group isn't that good or the league had complicated the rules so much we have paralysis by analysis. Missed calls is sports, but the problems the officiating has had this season. I think the NFL has complicated some of the rules (ie catch rule) it is taking football out of football.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
the two crews that were on this weekend, were among the highest rated officials in the league all season long. If these are the best of the best, then either the group isn't that good or the league had complicated the rules so much we have paralysis by analysis. Missed calls is sports, but the problems the officiating has had this season. I think the NFL has complicated some of the rules (ie catch rule) it is taking football out of football.

The NFL called Payton and apologized that says it all.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The NFL called Payton and apologized that says it all.

That's not the point of my statement.. what I'm saying we all see it was wrong. But do these officials have so much having to go through their heads in what constitutes a catch, catchable, PI, etc.. with the added pressure of NFC Championship Game. And only one official watches each of the 5 eligible receivers, one for the qb, and one for the line. Could we getting to the point there is so many little details that are going into these rules, we are getting paralysis by analysis on the field. There is an average of 8 missed/incorrect call per team every week. The NFL officials send out a list of mistakes to all teams every week. Could the way they are writing these rules removing easy football is football calls.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
That's not the point of my statement.. what I'm saying we all see it was wrong. But do these officials have so much having to go through their heads in what constitutes a catch, catchable, PI, etc.. with the added pressure of NFC Championship Game. And only one official watches each of the 5 eligible receivers, one for the qb, and one for the line. Could we getting to the point there is so many little details that are going into these rules, we are getting paralysis by analysis on the field. There is an average of 8 missed/incorrect call per team every week. The NFL officials send out a list of mistakes to all teams every week. Could the way they are writing these rules removing easy football is football calls.

These guys missed helmet to helmet, several blatant interference calls, several clear faces masks, holding...as the announcers stated...they were not calling..."letting them play"

It was just bad.

Payton was going nuts

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
These guys missed helmet to helmet, several blatant interference calls, several clear faces masks, holding...as the announcers stated...they were not calling..."letting them play"

It was just bad.

Payton was going nuts

I'm talking more the state of officiating over all... could the league be hurting it's product with being so detailed in what constitute a penalty.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I'm talking more the state of officiating over all... could the league be hurting it's product with being so detailed in what constitute a penalty.

I agree with some of that but this was interference in anyone's book.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The worst thing that apparently may come from this is the possibility of making PI calls reviewable. According to the ESPN ticker this morning, they are discussing this option. To me, that's what makes the NFL so much more frustrating to watch. They take one incident, a less than 1% type moment, that would be handled differently 1000 other times, and feel the need to alter rules and procedure for the other 99%.

How about just canning refs that can't get the basic stuff right, and hiring people who can clearly differentiate between a bang-bang play and blatant pass interference? Do a better job of selecting and/or training them in the first place and we wouldn't have to keep modifying the game.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I understand there are problems, but is the solution to keep reviewing every damn play in the game? Aren't they long and drawn out enough? The idea of reviewing penalties in the NFL, especially something objective like pass interference, makes my blood run cold.

In baseball, sometimes the umps make mistakes, mistakes that cost teams games. It sucks, but it's part of the sport and always has been. You move on.

Please God, no more replay reviews!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Calls get missed in every game. We all agree on that. They generally even themselves out. We agree on that too. What we don't seem to agree on is whether this play at the end of the game simply goes in the same drawer with the rest of those calls, or whether this play was on another level. I think it was the latter.

If the defender had simply turned to make a play and perhaps held the receiver's arm or some other sort of bang-bang play which would need a review to confirm or deny, then fine, I would put the play in the same stack as any other blown call. But this wasn't like that. There isn't a soul on the planet except the zebras who didn't see this happen clear as day in real time. Its still mind boggling. I completely understand how humans are fallible and how refs miss calls because they are human. But this was something else. I don't even know what to call it.

I don't want to see PI calls reviewed routinely. But there has to be a mechanism in place where the league can stop play in the matter of such a travesty and make it right. Suppose the refs lost track of what down it was and were about to give one of the teams an extra play? Would that just be part of the game too? There is nothing wrong with taking a second to get the call right when so much is on the line.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I understand there are problems, but is the solution to keep reviewing every damn play in the game? Aren't they long and drawn out enough? The idea of reviewing penalties in the NFL, especially something objective like pass interference, makes my blood run cold.

In baseball, sometimes the umps make mistakes, mistakes that cost teams games. It sucks, but it's part of the sport and always has been. You move on.

Fully agree. I also think the mere mention of this really waters down the NFL's apology to the Saints. They should own it and make a commitment to doing a better job in officiating. Done.

By injecting this idea of instant replay, they're effectively dismissing some of the perception of blame and saying, "If only it were slowed down, maybe we could've gotten the call right". When in reality, you could speed it up 10 fold and it would still be obvious.

When commentators outright say on the air that they no longer even know what a catch is, we've officially got a problem. That's all a product of tinkering for isolated circumstances.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

It isn't more replay reviews, it's just you are able to throw the flag to review it. I disagree with it, because 90% it's a judgement call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.