Randy Shannon owns S. Florida and it is good for us

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
FireFoley;n179314 said:
What? 6'3" 230 lbs. with a 6'6" wingspan and before he has access to unlimited food and unlimited weights. Rest assured if this kid can play it will be with his hand in the dirt on the D-line.

Not to mention the kid is still just a JUNIOR in HIGH SCHOOL. One growth spurt and he is a solid DE.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Mitchell made those slow-footed offensive linemen look pathetic. He won't see much of that.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This is great stuff. Dumbo and Golden are biting their nails off already.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Those south Florida recruits haven't exactly helped Miami out much, And unfortunately the best ones usually can't qualify.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
There is Amari Cooper and a couple of guys I've never heard of from south Florida on their roster. Of course Amari is a rare stud. But they have more guys from N. Fla. on their roster (Henry, Black, Pettway) than S. Fla.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n179382 said:
Mac has Shannon working as planned. Now, Mac, get us a pipeline to some those top Texas high schools.
And also get a Samoan coach-advisor.

I think Mac wants to focus on owning the state of Florida. Texas is going to take a lot of time and effort to get kids out of. Maybe if a guy is special, but I'd rather see him focus on Florida/Georgia because your chance of getting those guys is higher.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n179700 said:
Those south Florida recruits haven't exactly helped Miami out much, And unfortunately the best ones usually can't qualify.

Miami hasn't really "owned" S. Florida since Butch Davis put together that 2001 team. Players have been going everywhere "Louisville, FSU, Florida, Bama, Auburn, etc...). There is a ton of talent down there and you can focus on the good kids and be very very good.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
ATXGator;n179747 said:
Miami hasn't really "owned" S. Florida since Butch Davis put together that 2001 team. Players have been going everywhere "Louisville, FSU, Florida, Bama, Auburn, etc...). There is a ton of talent down there and you can focus on the good kids and be very very good.
Okay, so are the 3 star kids we're pulling out of there "very very good".

Al Golden vowed to take back S. Florida when he came there. Miami's roster is probably 80% S. Fla. kids and they're an average team in the ACC. Alabama's roster is probably 80% Alabama kids. So why aren't we going after more Alabama recruits?

There's nothing special about S. Fl. players. It's like anywhere else in the Southeast. You have to identify the good ones, I don't care where they come from.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Miami is getting kids from S. Florida, but not 80% of their roster and they aren't getting the top talent. While I agree that these 3 star kids aren't the same as 5*... you could also see their "star" rating improve their senior year. The coaching staff obviously sees potential.

I think having a link into S. Florida HS to get 5* kids and 3* kids is important. I personally think a 3* kid from S.Florida is better than a 4* kid from a lot of other areas. The competition in S. Florida is so much better, but as we all know... you still have to develop the talent once you get it.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I get what you're saying. South Florida is a very populous area. So naturally there are more kids down there. But I don't buy into the notion that just because a kid is from South Florida he's better than everyone else. There's only 6 kids from Florida on Alabama's roster. Yet somehow they've managed to be pretty good. It's all about identifying the talent where ever it is and filling your roster with them.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n179224 said:
It certainly seems like we are going to have some talent coming to us out of S.Florida with Shannon.

We got two commits for 2016 today.

DE Eric Mitchell - http://www.hudl.com/v/CW68j
LB Vosean Joseph- http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3229487/vosean-joseph

The highlights on both these guys look impressive and while the star ratings may not be high... guys who dominate in S.Florida tend to be very good players.

Yep, Randy Shannon.

Randy Shannon, a bust at head coach.

Yep, Randy Shannon and Florida has got 'em.

So he's gone from head coach for "The U" to Linebacker coach for the TCU Horned Frongs to Assistant Linebacker coach for the Arkansas Razorbacks to the South Florida Hood Whisperer for the University of Florida.

Good luck on that. :)

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Okeechobee Joe;n179278 said:
We ought to own South Florida. There's nothing down there but Rutgers South Campus. You go to the West and there's the Gulf. You go to the East and there's the Atlantic. You go to the South and welcome to Havana. You have to drive over 300 miles North before you get to real college football. It's not like some of these states where you have a lot of other state bordering you. Tennessee has more states that border it than any other state: Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Gerogia, North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky, and Missouri all border Tennessee. South Florida should be a pipeline to UF.

Not to be that guy, but Missouri also has 8 states that border it: Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Kansas.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hotrod;n180593 said:
He is now a Gator, all is forgiven.:grouphug:

29570594.jpg

Give us some time. This isn't easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users