Rape culture is a myth

Discussion in 'Politics' started by divits, Oct 4, 2018.

1. divits

divits A Muffin of the Studly Variety
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $4,014
    Ratings:
    +13,069 / -66
    My friend, you are the one who commented on this topic rather forcefully. You made it quite clear you had a very strong opinion on it. I was just trying to continue the discussion to get clarity on your views. That's kind of how this works. You can post against the grain all you like but please back it up with some kind of reasoning or don't bother to post at all or get all bent out of shape when questioned. Thanks. o_O

• g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
      $3,390
      Ratings:
      +6,252 / -38
      Because this is political discussion forum. And when you express your opinion, especially if it is "against the grain," some of us would like to know more about the how's and why's of that opinion.

• stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,223
      Ratings:
      +7,112 / -522
      Rape culture, My take. A culture where young men believe girls are there for them to use as a play thing. Not really a human being but sex toy, It is one thing to talk out loud about our fantasies but to take the step of imposing your will on another human being sexually is criminal. Boys find one girl that will do anything and believe it is the norm. It can be in all kinds of communities and college campuses. Now, I guess the real question is how prevalent is it. Is our whole society a culture of rape? Do we look away when some women claim abuse? Do we prosecute famous people when enough women claim it? Its an odd thing. I have confessed to having wanted some hot teacher to "assault" me when I was 14. But shoe on other foot and I want to cripple some POS male teacher if he hits on young girls. I liked our culture better when males, fathers brothers etc would step up and defend their women and girls. Now, it seems its every man and woman for themselves and of course the men want it and women want a choice. Look how fast we fixated on the chomp gal from the game two weeks ago. Does that contribute to a culture of women as objects of our fantasies? Being a man I have no clue what its like to be scared of someone bigger than me with an attitude of me being a target of whatever they desire. My experience with women, compared to the stories in here, is way down the scale of locker room tall tales. They are actually discussing Melania's thoughts on this as I type. I think we need to listen to women more about this. THey are the targets for the most part. Im just a guy that still "wants" women. Women are MY beer, I like women much more than beer.

• Gator Fever

Gator Fever Senior Member

Oxbucks:
        $2,048
        Ratings:
        +6,079 / -116
        That would be playing with fire having a definition different than most states now where sexual battery only includes penetration of certain areas. You could end up with crazy prosecutors charging people with that for just rubbing against someone accidentally etc. because the person touched felt it was a sexual battery. I think some states like California have their statute written and interpreted to allow a clothed person to be charged with sexual battery just because they rubbed against a clothed females breast area. Also the definition in most places include doing things to someone orally in those areas of the body contrary to what the media likes to spin to people.

To me standard battery charges should handle situations like that California one mentioned because a person will be ruined over a sexual battery charge and crazy accusations would be too easy with some laws out there and when you combine crazy leftist prosecutor with an interpretation like that you will get some crazy outcomes which a jury can't correct the damage that was done to the falsely accused.

• divits

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $4,014
        Ratings:
        +13,069 / -66
        Since I still don't know if you believe there is a rape culture in this country as put forth by feminists in order to vilify men, let me put your mind at ease. There is no rape culture in America. Doesn't mean that women should not take precations and should always be wary in certain situations. That's just smart. I certainly take precautions when I'm in places or situations that might give a predator an opportunity. As I stated before, there always were and always will be a small population of predators out there. And of course one rape is one rape too many.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blog...istics-dont-back-up-claims-about-rape-culture

"F*ckrapeculture cofounder Claire Chadwick explained to the campus newspaper, "The name of our organization and the statements that we've made are loud. But it's because we need to be heard." But saying something loudly does not make it true or just.

Chadwick and the members of f*ckrapeculture aren't the only student sexual violence activists that are demanding attention. Since last spring, an expansive network of student activists has emerged to fight "rape culture" and change the way universities respond to cases of sexual misconduct. However, as universities reexamine their sexual assault policies, administrators should be wary of the demands of these "rape culture" activists. Not only is their movement built on a foundation of dubious statistics and a distorted view of masculinity, but it has already led to policies that have proved devastating to those who have been falsely accused.

Activists claim that reform is urgent because one in five women will be raped during her time at college. I have yet to see an article lamenting the campus rape culture that does not contain some iteration of this alarming statistic.

But is it accurate? Statistics surrounding sexual assault are notoriously unreliable and inconsistent, primarily because of vague and expansive definitions of what qualifies as sexual assault. Christina Hoff Sommers of the American Enterprise Institute explains that the study often cited as the origin of the "one in five" factoid is an online survey conducted under a grant from the Justice Department. Surveyors employed such a broad definition that "'forced kissing" and even "attempted forced kissing" qualified as sexual assault.

The Bureau of Justice Statistics' "Violent Victimization of College Students" report tells a different and more plausible story about campus culture. During the years surveyed, 1995-2002, the DOJ found that there were six rapes or sexual assaults per thousand per year. Across the nation's four million female college students, that comes to about one victim in forty students. Other DOJ statistics show that the overall rape rate is in sharp decline: since 1995, the estimated rate of female rape or sexual assault victimizations has decreased by about 60 percent.

Of course, there are still far too many college women who are victims of sexual assault. But there's little evidence to support the claim that campus rape is an "epidemic," as Yale student activist Alexandra Brodsky recently wrote in the Guardian.

Bolstered by inflated statistics and alarmist depictions of campus culture, advocates have been successful in initiating policy changes designed to better protect victims of sexual violence. Duke, Swarthmore, Amherst, Emerson and the University of North Carolina are among the many institutions that have recently reviewed and revised their policies. It is not clear that these policies have made campuses safer places for women, but they have certainly made them treacherous places for falsely accused men.

• g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
        $3,390
        Ratings:
        +6,252 / -38

:waiting:

• divits

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $4,014
          Ratings:
          +13,069 / -66

• divits

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $4,014
            Ratings:
            +13,069 / -66
            I think they make a great point when they ask, "What parent in the right mind would send their daughter to college if their was a real 20% chance that they would be sexually assaulted?"

Get real.

• GatorAlways

GatorAlways Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
              $182
              Ratings:
              +385 / -134
              Here's a good example how a abject failure of police and people in power to believe that sexual assault is happening to women lead to years and years of sexual assault:

How Did Larry Nassar Deceive So Many for So Long?

Want to know one of the reasons why women are trying to bring this into the mainstream? Look no farther than this.

• divits

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $4,014
                Ratings:
                +13,069 / -66
                Do you believe there is a rape culture on campuses?

• GatorAlways

GatorAlways Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                $182
                Ratings:
                +385 / -134
                What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? I just posted an article that is a clear and unambiguous portrait of the reason women feel that they don't have much of a voice when it comes to assault and rape allegations. Because even when they do go to the police or someone of authority, they oftentimes aren't believed.

Do I think there is a pervasive problem on college campuses? No.

But it's clear that this has been an underreported problem for decades - women were told that "they had it wrong" or "it wasn't that bad" or "your entire sexual history will be on display" - and, in many cases, actively dissuaded from filing charges.

• divits

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $4,014
                Ratings:
                +13,069 / -66
                Tea in China? It's the title of this freakin' thread!

:jerkstore:

Yes, women are hesitant to report sexual assault. But that isn't the discussion. The discussion is the false narrative put forth every day that there is a "rape culture" in the United States and particularly on college campuses in which rape is in essence encouraged and not investigated by police. This is a totally false belief that isn't backed up by FBI crime statistics.

• DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member
                  Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                  $219
                  Ratings:
                  +222 / -2
                  I weep for our future. No, I really do.

• DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member
                    Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                    $219
                    Ratings:
                    +222 / -2

BRB...

• Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                    $352
                    Ratings:
                    +358 / -8
                    No one celebrates this rape culture anymore than armed robbery culture or drunk driving culture. Rape culture implies that society is ok with it or celebrates it. I can't find anyone who does except muslims.

I am in the process (infancy still) of developing a dating app that would allow a digital permission for sex. Think the air drop thing on iPhone (I am a droid guy). Basically you open the app, connect via blue tooth, NFC, etc., and you both punch in a PIN. You receive the PIN on your phone and you start banging.

Its brilliant and none of you sumbitches better steal it!!!

• ItsDookie87

ItsDookie87 ...it's best to let him finish

Oxbucks:
                      $474
                      Ratings:
                      +685 / -121
                      This guy has a schtick and it works for him, he reminds me of Tucker Carlson in a way with what he does. Tucker will invite liberals on his show to discuss a topic but then hit them upside the head with a 2x4 with some obscure information that he's dug up and tries to get the guest to defend that information. The defense, as expected by Tucker, is extremely poor while Tucker controls the narrative the entire time only to end the segment abruptly and declare that this person represents all liberals.

This guy, Steven Crowder, is well versed in the controversial topics that he's going to be debating about and he's going to a place where random people can come sit down and attempt to "change his mind". The problem is that he's been well prepared to do this so he has all of his statistics ready while the people he's talking with are just random people walking around on campus that had no idea they would be doing this on this day. These people are probably barely drinking age and out of their comfort zone while he is a bit older and squarely in his. The statistics just flow off of his tongue while he demands evidence to change his mind from the unprepared guest. The results are what you would expect in a situation like this and the this video shows that.

These videos would be much different if he had prepared guests with a moderator but the point of these videos is to get clicks and show how much he is "owning the libs". Take this video, the first random guest (2nd if you consider the high schooler that couldn't do it) is at least intellectually equal to Crowder which could make for a hell of a debate but Crowder gets to control the narrative. He gets to make a joke or change the subject, he starts crowding the guest because things aren't going like they always do with his unprepared guests.

These videos may get your rocks off but they are in no way representative of an actual debate on the legitimacy of rape culture or whatever other topic he decided to do that day.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Facepalm Facepalm x 1
                      • List
                      • g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                        $3,390
                        Ratings:
                        +6,252 / -38
                        Ok then.

Have you read through this thread.

• ItsDookie87

Oxbucks:
                          $474
                          Ratings:
                          +685 / -121
                          I did not lol, I wanted to approach this from a fresh view and not let the other posts cloud my judgement. Based on your comment I'm going to assume that was a bad idea?

I TL;DR'd it.

• g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                            $3,390
                            Ratings:
                            +6,252 / -38
                            Lemme be nice.

Your post in a thread entitled "Rape Culture is a myth" is "in no way representative of an actual debate on the legitimacy of rape culture"

• ItsDookie87

Oxbucks:
                              $474
                              Ratings:
                              +685 / -121
                              Oh I'm planning on getting to the rape culture debate where I will actually read the entire thread. I figured I would start with my feelings on the video that was presented as representation of the "average college liberal" in the first post.