Recruiting Re-ranked 2019 classes (UF #17)

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
mcelwain got us to Atlanta, but that shouldn't change your expectations.

McElwain did not get UF competitive in Atlanta and that is the issue. I think we have a good metric proposed in this thread to evaluate Mullen.

If UF is:

1. moving toward 82 to 85 recruited scholarship players from the 77 or 78 UF has now. (And by recruited I don't mean

2. moving toward having 50 or 51 blue chip players.

3. moving towards having 5 or so five star players.

If UF is moving in that direction, then Mullen may be building up the roster towards what we need and UF may be competitive the next time in Atlanta.

Last edited:

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
McElwain did not get UF competitive in Atlanta and that is the issue. I think we have a good metric proposed in this thread to evaluate Mullen.

If UF is:

1. moving toward 82 to 85 recruited scholarship players

2. moving toward having 50 or 51 blue chip players.

3. moving towards having 5 or so five star players.

If UF is moving in that direction, then Mullen may be building up the roster towards what we need and UF may be competitive the next time in Atlanta.
So we just have to move in that direction? I get that recruiting is important, but he should only be "evaluated" for wins and losses.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You could argue that recruiting has gotten slightly worse. The coaching is light years better though and the s&c( like you said) aswell. But recruiting could be a touch worse.

I think when you look at their entire body of work (all classes combined), Mullen has slightly recruited better than Butters but not by much. O-line recruiting definitely improved overall, which has been a problem for nearly a decade. Also, Mullen's transition class was better than any of Butters's classes imo. But recruiting slightly better than the previous moron won't get the job done. We're still 2-3 years away from having the talent to legitimately compete for championships instead of peach bowls.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only one that will hurt this year is Steele. Black will hurt next year, when Reese leaves.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The only one that will hurt this year is Steele. Black will hurt next year, when Reese leaves.

I don't think Black was a MLB. He's too tall and skinny, more of an OLB/Buck.

Hopefully Wingo is a stud and takes the MLB spot for the next 3 years. Also we're still going after Hyppolite (Maryland commit).

Because of the lack of a full roster, we need to take in a few transfers this off-season to go along with a full class. Playing w/ less than 80 scholarship players is like putting yourself on probation.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Recruiting impacts are felt 2-3 years down the road the most. We’re going to have to use the transfer market to make up for the shortfalls in this class.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I am willing to give Mullen the benefit of the doubt this year for his second recruiting class. After the damage that Muschamp and Mac did to our program we arent flashy anymore. These kids are looking at Ohio, Clemson, bama, Uga, etc based on what's been hot the last 10 years or so.

I do think Mullen can make us respectable again and with that, the recruiting will get back up. I think Mullen is trying to change the culture at Florida and at the same time undo years of abuse and neglect that the players (and brand) have endured.

I dont think were winning championships anytime soon, but to at least be in the conversation again will do wonders. I think that's what we have with Mullen.
I guarantee recruiting will get back within the top ten very soon

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The recruit watchers told us all last year that the bump class should be the class that makes this hire. Well the bump class after the transactions is 17th, and before it, matched Butters best class at 9. There will have to be a step up in the recruiting game. Or we are going to be a paying off another poorly constructed contract in the next couple of years.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Because of the lack of a full roster, we need to take in a few transfers this off-season to go along with a full class. Playing w/ less than 80 scholarship players is like putting yourself on probation.

which we have been basically doing for a decade it feels like

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This better be fixed this 2020 class for Mullen or a few years down the road people will be calling for his head. So far recruiting is Butters 2.0 like said earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator