Gator Basketball Realistic options to replace Mike White

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Assuming this is likely White’s last year, let’s hear some names you guys think could be a potential replacement.

I’d love to make a run at Chris Beard at Texas Tech. Is that unrealistic?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Granted, I don’t keep up with basketball the same way I do football, but based on the limited moments I scan the individual game threads, I’d say @LeeForThree has a better overall handle on the game than White. So since we’re probably going super cheap anyway, he’d get my nod.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Assuming this is likely White’s last year, let’s hear some names you guys think could be a potential replacement.

I’d love to make a run at Chris Beard at Texas Tech. Is that unrealistic?
That's very unrealistic, dude. We're not pulling a solid p5 guy away from his current job. We may be able to get a guy trying to escape the hotseat if a p5 guy is what your looking for. Outside of that we'll be looking for a another up and comer. I know we're gonna hear Mike miller's name alot on here and I think that's retarded.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure if he'd be able to recruit good enough but I was blown away by Utah states style of play last year. That guy had them looking like the spurs.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Anthony Grant - Dayton

Travis Steele - Xavier

Chris Mooney - Richmond

out of the box...
Mike Donnelly - Florida Southern

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
That's very unrealistic, dude. We're not pulling a solid p5 guy away from his current job. We may be able to get a guy trying to escape the hotseat if a p5 guy is what your looking for. Outside of that we'll be looking for a another up and comer. I know we're gonna hear Mike miller's name alot on here and I think that's retarded.

Idk man, UF is still a top university with more brand recognition than TTech...and more $$.

I know we’ll go cheap though and hire a G5 guy. Foley will have his slimy hands involved I’m sure.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Anyone who understands off the ball movement and at least 2 passes into an offensive set is important will be an upgrade

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Anyone who understands off the ball movement and at least 2 passes into an offensive set is important will be an upgrade

Bingo!!!. I have watched maybe 3 minutes of bball this year, but saw way too much of Mike the last 5 years, both in person and on TV. I have repeatedly said on this site that Mike is probably the worst half court offensive bball coach I have ever seen. There is ZERO, I mean less than ZERO consistent off the ball movement with Mike. There is ZERO off the ball screening action. Mark Wise once tried to defend Mike and his offensive coaching skills to me and all I could do was laugh. I said all I see is an occasional ball screen and 3 guys standing flat footed with their shoes cemented to the floor. They have nothing offensively that creates good looks at the basket and only get a good look when a dribbler beats his man and help has to come. Asking Mike to come up with any motion or movement to get the Defense on its heels is just not going to happen.

Beyond that, how many of the guys who play for Mike in a large capacity truly improve over their time here? Off the top of my head I would say it is 80-20 that they get no better to worse.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
He didn't do well at Alabama. Poor recruiting did him in. Maybe he has learned some things since then.
Don't forget that bamuh doesn't care about anything outside of football. Not guaranteeing Grant will do better at UF, but I'd like to think bball gets way more support than he got at bamuh.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Pitinos made the tourney twice in 7 years as a HC and his record is extremely mediocre. Anthony Grant's already been fired and outside his last year his offense has been worse than whites. Shaka has been a train wreck at Texas. The only one of those that would be a clear cut upgrade is Beard and he wouldn't leave for Florida. Guys, this ain't 2007.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't wanna fire white for someone who's already proven to be worse

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't forget that bamuh doesn't care about anything outside of football. Not guaranteeing Grant will do better at UF, but I'd like to think bball gets way more support than he got at bamuh.

I’d take their bb coach over White in a heartbeat. The Bammers made a great hire getting Oats from Buffalo.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Greg Marshall would be one of my choices but his former players are calling him a "bully". So I doubt our administration would go anywhere near him.

Craig Smith ,Utah State,his team was very well coached. And he's got a pretty good record. I think he could do really well here. Recruiting would be my concern. He may be my favorite at the moment but I haven't researched much.

Chris Beard. Obviously everyone's favorite but it's not happening.

Matt Mchmahon. Murray States coach. They usually win their conference so hes been to the dance a few times. He's developed a lottery pick. The down sides is hes from a small conference. His style of play is similar to mike white and his team is having a down year this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.