Reassessing Staff as Recruiters?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Now that the 2019 class has finished strongly, have you adjusted your opinion on Mullen & Co’s recruiting abilities? Many pointed to his history at Cowbell, many (me included) countered that was the aptly named Starkville.

After making good on the California efforts, beating out Bama for Bogle and UGA for Elam right after losing those position coaches just before NSD, and capitalizing on troubles in Tally & Miami and snagging 4* guys from them, they’ve done well.

Still need more 5* talent and to keep the very best Florida players home, but which of the staff are impressing or disappointing you more that a year ago?

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It’s trending in the right direction. If he would ditch English and bring on another dynamic recruiter, I would really be impressed. There is still an upgrade or two he could make in that area. And why not bring in more support staff as well like Bama and the dwags.

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018
I really don't know the answer to this question, but I am onboard with Mullen as a coach, evaluator, program builder, and guy with a strategic recruiting plan that is being worked relentlessly and adapted as necessary on the fly. So far I am pleased with the recruiting results. Unlike the shark rapist, if Mullen says he wants a guy, I trust that the guy fits into a definite plan and isn't simply a reach for bodies, stars or no stars.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
English still a real weak length and I’ll be curious to see what Gonzo does next year as receiver will be an important position.

I do know this; sal and warren won’t be missed and I am pleased with Hev

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
English may be getting a bad rep as a recruiter. The safety position wasn't much of a focus in 2019 according to Mullen. While we think it was a need, Mullen didn't. They like what they have. It will be in 2020. If English can't bring in a few guys then it will be time to reassess.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
English may be getting a bad rep as a recruiter. The safety position wasn't much of a focus in 2019 according to Mullen. While we think it was a need, Mullen didn't. They like what they have. It will be in 2020. If English can't bring in a few guys then it will be time to reassess.

I think the bigger deal is that on some of our misses he was the primary recruiter. While position coaches do have a role in getting guys at their position, often you'll have guys as the primary recruiter that are assigned to an area (typically the guy on staff with the most connections in that area.)

For instance, take a look at Seider who basically runs Florida for Penn State now. (I just threw up in my mouth a little)

He's got OLB, QBs, WRs all to his name as primary.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Still need more 5* talent and to keep the very best Florida players home, but which of the staff are impressing or disappointing you more that a year ago?
Still mehhhhh. Is it the worst bump class we ve ever had? Or probably second to Butters. Following the best transition class.

Like most things w Mullinz, some good some not so good.

I expect Torian Gray to help. It would be nice to have another great recruiter or two.

We have some momentum. Top kids are at least listening again. They were just hanging up the phone like we were telecallers in the Butters years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
English is a pile of shyt who can neither recruit or coach.

Or is retired on duty.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Now that the 2019 class has finished strongly, have you adjusted your opinion on Mullen & Co’s recruiting abilities? Many pointed to his history at Cowbell, many (me included) countered that was the aptly named Starkville.

After making good on the California efforts, beating out Bama for Bogle and UGA for Elam right after losing those position coaches just before NSD, and capitalizing on troubles in Tally & Miami and snagging 4* guys from them, they’ve done well.

I'm not sure you realize there are only 25 five stars nationwide yearly.....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im not too concerned about five stars though it is I guess a better probability. The high 4 stars (6.0) on Rivals I would consider superbluechip (Pounceys, Hernandez, most of our elitr Dbs) too and are the base of an elite team.

Last edited:

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Certainly you have to recruit and recruit well but coaching is still a part of it too. Mullen has been great at player development. He's at a university situated in a state where he can do all and I believe he will.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I think the bigger deal is that on some of our misses he was the primary recruiter. While position coaches do have a role in getting guys at their position, often you'll have guys as the primary recruiter that are assigned to an area (typically the guy on staff with the most connections in that area.)

For instance, take a look at Seider who basically runs Florida for Penn State now. (I just threw up in my mouth a little)

He's got OLB, QBs, WRs all to his name as primary.
Bring back Seider.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bring back Seider.
He isn't coming back to us. He will be back in Florida I'm suspect, though he is pretty loyal.

There are other elite recruiters. CUM had a staff full of them when he was here.

Last edited:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Is it the worst bump class we ve ever had? Or probably second to Butters.

We just don’t know this anymore with the early signing period. The old stats may continue to stay true, but we don’t know that yet. It may move to the second class or the bump class could disappear. I’ve been critical of recruiting all year long but only two second year coaches (atm and Oregon) were ahead of us in class ranking and even then just barely (6&7 to our 8 per rivals and 4&7 VS 9 per 247). I think we all know both of them have some advantages Mullen does not have at Florida as well.

We’ll know more in 5 years about early signings’ impact on the historical “bump” class.

Or, we do realize, but also recognize that as a top 10 power (regardless of facilities and the recent futility), Florida should be getting one to three of them each year. Particularly when we are back to being ranked in the top 10.

Edit- btw, I count Steele as a 5star this year and an elite recruit. Not sure why we are now ignoring rivals rankings.

Last edited:

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Bring back Seider.

I just don't see how our Gators do that, even if English was moved to an analyst position. You would have to move Knox as well unless you wanted him to JUST be a special teams coach - but he'd have a lot of practice time on his hands. I can't see him coming back either because we really did him wrong. He was the one guy on the staff that was worth a hot damn and we kept him on to help us recruit and then sent him packing. I'm afraid the earth was salted there.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Still mehhhhh. Is it the worst bump class we ve ever had? Or probably second to Butters. Following the best transition class.

Like most things w Mullinz, some good some not so good.

I expect Torian Gray to help. It would be nice to have another great recruiter or two.

We have some momentum. Top kids are at least listening again. They were just hanging up the phone like we were telecallers in the Butters years.

Yer on crack as usual. This class is second to none except Bama, considering needs and fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator