Reassessing Staff as Recruiters?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I said I would be happy if we were top 10 after the start we had. Stand by that. That doesn’t mean we can’t do better and it doesn’t mean we have competent recruiters. We were a shining light in a sh it storm

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
John Brown on line 2...

I get that, but 5* are on balance more likely to excel.
Without a doubt. The whole stars don't matter argument is so ridiculous. We've had 36 five stars since the Rivals era began in 2002. Here they are and how I'd rank them.
Ciatrick Fason - Star
Andre Caldwell - Star
Chad Jackson - Star
Jarvis Moss - Star
Joe Cohen - Good, not great
Dee Webb - Good, not grea
Derrick Harvey - Star
Brandon Spikes - Star
Percy Harvin - Star
Tim Tebow - Greatest of all time
Carl Johnson - Star
Carlos Dunlap - Star
James Wilson - Contributor (injury issues)
Cam Newton - Star
Torrey Davis - Contributor (soley due to the goal line stand)
Omar Hunter - Good, not great
Matt Pachan - Bust
Will Hill - Contributor
Carl Moore - Contributor
Jelani Jenkins - Star
Andre Debose - Bust
Gary Brown - Bust
Matt Elam - Star
Ronald Powell - Contributor
Shariff Floyd - Star
Dominique Easley - Star
Dante Fowler - Star
Jon Bullard - Star
DJ Humprhries - Contributor
Vernon Hargreaves - Star
Alex Anzalonne - Contributor (injury issues)
Teez Tabor - Star
Martez Ivey - Contributor
CC Jefferson - Contributor
Antonneous Clayton - incomplete
Chis Steele - incomplete

So out of the 36 we signed, 19 were complete studs and only 3 were total busts. Based on those results, give me all the 5 stars we can get.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Without a doubt. The whole stars don't matter argument is so ridiculous. ...

So out of the 36 we signed, 19 were complete studs and only 3 were total busts. Based on those results, give me all the 5 stars we can get.
People tend to equate even playing as "working out" for a three star but for a five star then it is AllSEC equals working out.

When you have a roster full ofnthree stars, someone has to play. If you compare the AllSEC (even Honorable Mention) numbers for three stars, it is abysmal. Just a couple of percent ever make it to that level.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
People tend to equate even playing as "working out" for a three star but for a five star then it is AllSEC equals working out.

When you have a roster full ofnthree stars, someone has to play. If you compare the AllSEC (even Honorable Mention) numbers for three stars, it is abysmal. Just a couple of percent ever make it to that level.

THAT is my line!!

Seriously, I've said that dozens of times. The "stars don't matter" crown chimes in w/ a bunch of names of 3-stars....and sure enough, they played on a team full of 2 and 3 star players. Guess what? Somebody's gotta play. You can't play 4 stars if you don't have any!!!

Those G5 teams and the Missouri's, Vandy's, and Wake Forest's of the P5 schools have a ton of non-blue chippers....and some of them start for 3 or 4 seasons. Guess what? They develop!!

It's so stupid. STARS F'ING MATTER!

----

On the topic of the thread. Honestly, there are only a couple of the current staff that "need to go" because of recruiting....but there are a couple that should go because of their coaching AND recruiting (English?). Otherwise, I'm not too hung up on this staff.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Without a doubt. The whole stars don't matter argument is so ridiculous. We've had 36 five stars since the Rivals era began in 2002. Here they are and how I'd rank them.
Ciatrick Fason - Star
Andre Caldwell - Star
Chad Jackson - Star
Jarvis Moss - Star
Joe Cohen - Good, not great
Dee Webb - Good, not grea
Derrick Harvey - Star
Brandon Spikes - Star
Percy Harvin - Star
Tim Tebow - Greatest of all time
Carl Johnson - Star
Carlos Dunlap - Star
James Wilson - Contributor (injury issues)
Cam Newton - Star
Torrey Davis - Contributor (soley due to the goal line stand)
Omar Hunter - Good, not great
Matt Pachan - Bust
Will Hill - Contributor
Carl Moore - Contributor
Jelani Jenkins - Star
Andre Debose - Bust
Gary Brown - Bust
Matt Elam - Star
Ronald Powell - Contributor
Shariff Floyd - Star
Dominique Easley - Star
Dante Fowler - Star
Jon Bullard - Star
DJ Humprhries - Contributor
Vernon Hargreaves - Star
Alex Anzalonne - Contributor (injury issues)
Teez Tabor - Star
Martez Ivey - Contributor
CC Jefferson - Contributor
Antonneous Clayton - incomplete
Chis Steele - incomplete

Agree. I’d say Humphries was more than a contributor, though. He came through the Chump era as a 1st round draft pick. Not his fault the offenses were terrible. And there were times the OL dominated despite the play calling etc.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The topic is reassessing the staff as recruiters. Ofcourse stars matter. I think the staff has great coaches and mediocre recruiters. But I don't think the whole staff has to be great recruiter, we just need a few to carry the load.

For some reason we stay on this crutch that a top 5 class was not doable because of mac. Or we couldn't sign any defensive linemen because of mac. Mac signed a top 10 class and before the wheels fell off he was on his way to a possible top 5 class. Butters signs the 10th ranked class only 2 years ago and Mullen signed the 9th ranked class and didn't fill all the needs.

Sorry if I'm not over the moon about it. I'm fine with it but if I had to re-evaluate them as recruiters I'd have to say they were only slightly better than I thought they'd be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator