Recruiting - 83.7% of the time it works every time

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Here is a way to help others understand my position and perhaps that of some others.
Many of you seem impressed with the more talented team winning 80 per cent of the time. I am not. For example, since coming to UF, CDM has won 78 per cent of the time whether he has the most talent or not. Two per cent more when you have more talent? So what?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Here is a way to help others understand my position and perhaps that of some others.
Many of you seem impressed with the more talented team winning 80 per cent of the time. I am not. For example, since coming to UF, CDM has won 78 per cent of the time whether he has the most talent or not. Two per cent more when you have more talent? So what?
I read your post several times and honestly have no clue what you are talking about. What your point is supposed to be here I have no idea.

If UF is to take the next step forward, we need more talent. I'm not sure if anyone disagrees with that, unless you do. Whether you do or don't, try to resist the urge to post about it. I got a headache trying to decipher your last few points.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hope that you are correct about the steady bump in recruiting classes..
We are are all hopeful, but the truth is he had a steady DECLINE at Cowbell, to the point that he was stuck playing a Southern Conference kick returner or player slot WR at QB.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
CDM had more talent about 78% of the time. Its not that hard.

If you want to compete w Bammer, Ugly, LSU etc, you must have equal talent. Or close.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I read your post several times and honestly have no clue what you are talking about. What your point is supposed to be here I have no idea.

If UF is to take the next step forward, we need more talent. I'm not sure if anyone disagrees with that, unless you do. Whether you do or don't, try to resist the urge to post about it. I got a headache trying to decipher your last few points.
So, in post #80, you didn't know what I meant when I said that I hoped the bump in recruiting classes would happen? Don't know how to say it any simpler, Ox. Try to keep up. My own take on why posters say that they don't understand me is that they think that I have taken a position that a careful reading of my post would show I hadn't taken. Then, when my position is elaborated, they are surprised.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
CDM had more talent about 78% of the time. Its not that hard.

If you want to compete w Bammer, Ugly, LSU etc, you must have equal talent. Or close.
No. Don't make me do the math. Even if you were correct, you wouldn't know whether to credit the coaching or the talent. Correlation. Remember?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The point of the exercise is to put a number to the success rate and understand the outliers.
Data is useless without context. If you’re smart you can learn something from it.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
This is the beautiful thing about statistics. If you torture the data enough, it will confess to anything.
Wow. Never heard that before. Any other pearls of wisdom you can bless us with?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
My own take on why posters say that they don't understand me is that they think that I have taken a position that a careful reading of my post would show I hadn't taken.
My take is that they don't understand you because you are senile.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
If you have the time on your hands, and the wherewithal, I'd like to see that comparison. Would be good/valuable info.

I tend to agree w/ the aspects of this, but teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, UGA, LSU should only ever lose when they play one of the other teams. UGA losing to SC this year, Ohio State losing to Purdue last year, UF losing to Ole Miss in 2009 are big outliers. But it happens, it's college football.

I'm not ready to give up on Mullen by any means, and I do think we'll see a steady bump in our classes over the next few years. He just needs to get our classes inside the top 10, then shoot for the occasional top 5 class (once every 3 or 4 years?). I do think facilities will help, but that's a few years away.

I'm pulling for Mullen, but I'm starting to have my doubts that he can get us to the promised land. He needs more than a steady bump. With his high school level play book, tendency to sh*t the bed under pressure, and completely throw away plays... I think we need to be in the top 5 (preferably top 3) every single year just to have a chance to overcome his deficiencies. It took a combination of Tebow, Percy, Hernandez, the Pounceys, etc. for that 2008 offense to win it all. And I haven't even mentioned how thin we are on defense compared to those Meyer teams. We had tremendous defensive talent, with a lot of depth then. Those guys were studs who bailed out our offense when it sputtered on a few occasions.

Bottom line, he needs to find a way to start closing the top recruits. Fast.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The facilities thing is true... to an extent. But good recruiters can just flat out recruit. The truth is its likely we see an uptick in crootin if we had much improved facilities, but not to the level we need to win championships. Dan needs to step up his game significantly, and apologizers need to get over making excuses for him. Facilities help, but they aren't the end all be all. Not even close.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
The facilities thing is true... to an extent. But good recruiters can just flat out recruit. The truth is its likely we see an uptick in crootin if we had much improved facilities, but not to the level we need to win championships. Dan needs to step up his game significantly, and apologizers need to get over making excuses for him. Facilities help, but they aren't the end all be all. Not even close.
That’s about as fair a post as it gets. I think of facilities as the cherry on top - they’ll push you over the edge when all else is equal. Definitely helps but elite recruiters will still get their fair share of talented players. Fact of the matter is, CDM is lacking those guys right now and it shows.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
That’s about as fair a post as it gets. I think of facilities as the cherry on top - they’ll push you over the edge when all else is equal. Definitely helps but elite recruiters will still get their fair share of talented players. Fact of the matter is, CDM is lacking those guys right now and it shows.
Do you think Mullen will adjust his staff this offseason and add some recruiters? Or do you think he will stay as is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator