Recruiting - 83.7% of the time it works every time

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Has been a while since Minnesota was successful. Tell us more about what it was like when they were winning championships in the 30s and 40s. Bet your pre-WW2 memories are pretty swell.

True, its been a long time since Minnesota has been relevant but their national championship in 1960 and two Rose Bowl appearances in '61, '62 came well after WWII.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That’s about as fair a post as it gets. I think of facilities as the cherry on top - they’ll push you over the edge when all else is equal. Definitely helps but elite recruiters will still get their fair share of talented players. Fact of the matter is, CDM is lacking those guys right now and it shows.
It's not often I state anything that isnt, like my post stating that so far he looks closer to richt than anyone else. It's just that we have a lot of posters with their heads in the sand and panties in a bunch when someone provides undesirable truths. If mullen was at fsu we'd all be saying exactly what I've been saying, but because hes ours its sunshine and rainbows and dont you dare criticize because if you do it means you arent a real fan.

Ive said it many times but I'll say it once more; I'm not a pessimist or an optimist, Im a realist because realists acknowledge truth and adjust accordingly - pessimists just piss and moan and optimists just whistle along even if its beside a graveyard. Honest evaluation is the only way to be successful in life, because only honest evaluation will allow you to acknowledge mistakes, and be emotionally detached enough to do what needs to be done to correct them. Spurrier and Meyer had those traits in spades. Both could be a bit stubborn, but both had no issues benching/firing or demoting players or coaches that weren't getting it done. They didnt have freinds, they were cut throat and thats a big part of the reason they were so successful. That's what it takes to succeed at this level. Dan should be honest with himself, acknowledge hes at best mediocre on the trail while likely above average in comparison to his staff makeup, then make some changes to fix it.

I'll go on record here. Everyone can write this one down or take a picture. Mullen either makes some legitimate changes on his staff to improve the recruiting situation this off-season or we will not earn anything better than at large bid in a NY6 during his tenure. I'll go one further and state that if somehow fsu bumbles into a really good hire, they will surpass us next season and win in tally. They still have a lot of talent on that team and we have done nothing to take advantage of the 5 alarm fire going on there. For the record I doubt anything will change this offseason. For all his talk about titles and standards, I think he believes what we are doing right now will ultimately get us there. He's way wrong if he thinks that, but I believe that's what he thinks. Prove me wrong and fire someone Dan.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
No and yes. I wish it wasn’t so.
There will likely be a few changes based on someone going somewhere else - the standard offseason changes. But i dont anticipate any groundbreaking improvement in staffing. And I certainly dont see anyone being shown the door. Not knox, not english, nobody. If we have turnover its highly like due to someone choosing to leave, not mullen growing a sack and firing some of these sorry stiffs.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
You are just starting to have doubts? You thought that a guy who had never recruited well would show up and land top3 classes immediately?

Nope. I've been cautiously optimistic all along. I have always said that I think we have a 'good' coach, but wasn't sure if he'd ever be a 'great' coach. Well, I have reached the conclusion that I don't think he ever will be. I was hoping he would grow and learn from his mistakes, but the GA game proved to me that he's too stubborn to do so. And since he won't change, we will need multiple top 3 classes to overcome... and I don't think he has the ability to do that.

A program has a two pronged base built on recruiting and coaching. Great programs have a head coach that typically knows how to use the strengths of one to overcome the deficiencies of the other. Very few coaches are superior at both (Urban and Dabo are great examples). Mullen seems to be a good guy. I have nothing personally against him. But I think he is mediocre at both, and we will likely be a 2-4 loss team every year.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Nope. I've been cautiously optimistic all along. I have always said that I think we have a 'good' coach, but wasn't sure if he'd ever be a 'great' coach. Well, I have reached the conclusion that I don't think he ever will be. I was hoping he would grow and learn from his mistakes, but the GA game proved to me that he's too stubborn to do so. And since he won't change, we will need multiple top 3 classes to overcome... and I don't think he has the ability to do that.

A program has a two pronged base built on recruiting and coaching. Great programs have a head coach that typically knows how to use the strengths of one to overcome the deficiencies of the other. Very few coaches are superior at both (Urban and Dabo are great examples). Mullen seems to be a good guy. I have nothing personally against him. But I think he is mediocre at both, and we will likely be a 2-4 loss team every year.
Im in 100% agreement. An at large bid (bc we wont ever win the SEC) to an NY6 is now our permanent ceiling. It's not going to change.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That’s about as fair a post as it gets. I think of facilities as the cherry on top - they’ll push you over the edge when all else is equal. Definitely helps but elite recruiters will still get their fair share of talented players. Fact of the matter is, CDM is lacking those guys right now and it shows.
Agreed. But it is one of the things we can change. Dan isnt going to be less dorky any time soon.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Do you think Mullen will adjust his staff this offseason and add some recruiters? Or do you think he will stay as is?
Id bet he stays as is. Just like Butters, he seems to think he's doing just fine.

He's not going to like the temperature of his ass next fall when he loses the third time to Ugly.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
There will likely be a few changes based on someone going somewhere else - the standard offseason changes. But i dont anticipate any groundbreaking improvement in staffing. And I certainly dont see anyone being shown the door. Not knox, not english, nobody. If we have turnover its highly like due to someone choosing to leave, not mullen growing a sack and firing some of these sorry stiffs.
That’s what I mean and that’s a real problem - deadweight isn’t going to move itself. Our talented coaches will go somewhere else and the useless ones will stay because no one else will pay them.

I like a lot of stuff Mullen does but his recruiting and staff management just suck. No other way to put it. Sad part? The latter is easy to fix and would likely fix the former but I seriously doubt he’ll give himself an honest enough look to do it.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
You are just starting to have doubts? You thought that a guy who had never recruited well would show up and land top3 classes immediately?
Because he couldn't recruit at MSU? Who could?
The four years before Mullen arrived they averaged 39th
The four years after he arrived they averaged 28th
He's not doing enough here but if you looked at his performance at MSU you'd have to say he improved their recruiting.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
He's not doing enough here but if you looked at his performance at MSU you'd have to say he improved their recruiting.
Honesty isn't appreciated here, but you know that, so I have to conclude that you are either brave or foolish.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
Was he known as a great recruiter his first stint in Gainesville? I'm not sure why some of our fans expected saban/smart level recruiting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Was he known as a great recruiter his first stint in Gainesville? I'm not sure why some of our fans expected saban/smart level recruiting.
I'm not expecting it. His below average recruiting is one of the reasons I said I would never hire him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator