Recruiting the future

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n64021 said:
Outside of Fowler and Bullard, I'd disagree on the DL. Yes, we have depth. But beyond a few players, I see a lot of role players, not stars.

And while I agree that we have talent at Rb, there's nothing to say we don't have just Taylor and Powell at this point next year with KT on the verge of declaring for the draft. It's not a knock on current players to say we have a need at a certain position.

Exactly. With injuries, players leaving early, or not panning out it is hard to go more than one season without bringing in people at each position unless you really want to fall behind.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
We certainly need upgrades at WR. Outside of Robinson, our receivers are not Florida quality. Then again, that could have a lot to do with our putrid QB.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
KCgator;n64030 said:
We certainly need upgrades at WR. Outside of Robinson, our receivers are not Florida quality. Then again, that could have a lot to do with our putrid QB.

Dunbar was an add-in to the 2010 class. He just hasn't ever developed the way we'd hoped. But Fulwood, Thompson and others would be great receivers with the right coaching.

BearCatGator

Aug 26, 2014
I say WR. We have been lacking in that position for a long time. When was the last time we had a big WR who could go up and catch the ball or gave us a real deep threat. We need a Nelson, Baker, or Gaffney type player. It seems we have had a bunch of 5'8 - 6 foot guys running around that get covered up.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n64033 said:
Dunbar was an add-in to the 2010 class. He just hasn't ever developed the way we'd hoped. But Fulwood, Thompson and others would be great receivers with the right coaching.
And a qb

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
t-gator;n64048 said:

JBrissett playing as well as he did indicates it is more than just a player issue. Very much moot now, but JD would've been much better in the right system(the one he committed to). I have zero confidence this staff would make anyone look good.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think we have some great talent in the wings. Assuming our current commits stick: 1. QB: Starter - Abysmal ; Backups - Solid and deep. As long as Jones stays committed. (A) 2. OL: Starters - Solid but we're a class of depth off ; Backups - Our RS Freshman and True Freshman will be solid. We haven't recruited an All-American or All SEC in 6 or 7 years. (B-) 3. DT: Starters - Solid ; Backups - Really good. But we need another really good DT this class. Preferably a 5 star. (B+) 4. Safety: Starters - Young and really green. ; Backups - Solid talent but it would be nice to bring in a 5 star talent at safety. Haven't had one recruited since Elam. (B-) 5. CB: Starters - Young and really green. ; Backups - Deep. Talented. (A) 6. LB: Starters - Awful other than N. Ball. ; Backups - Weak. In desperate need of some top shelf commits. At least one 5 star. (D) 7. P: Starters - Excellent. ; Backups - Solid (B) 8. K: Starters - Average and inconsistent. ; Backups - Virtually none. (C-) 9. WR: Starters - DR and AF are talented. AD can only return kicks. We have no slot. Worton's hurt and when he comes back it may be him. ; Backups - Decent. No 5 star talents in the wings. Desperate need for playmakers. (C) 10. RB: Starters - Excellent. ; Backups - Excellent. But we need one this class. (A) 11. DE: Starters - Solid. Not overwhelming. ; Backups - Lacking. Not much depth. Desperate need of 5 star talent. If we get Cowart and Jefferson this becomes a strength. As for now: (C-)

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n64049 said:
JBrissett playing as well as he did indicates it is more than just a player issue. Very much moot now, but JD would've been much better in the right system(the one he committed to). I have zero confidence this staff would make anyone look good.

I'm definitely not going to argue that it's more than just a player issue. But I don't think driskel would have been all that in Meyer's system. Maybe, but I think he's even overrated as a runner. He lacks the agility and elusivness. And not very good at reading a zone read.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n63999 said:
In no certain order:

OL, TE, WR, QB, RB, DL, LB, CB, S, & K. And of course, a coaching staff that can develop and motivate. I think that may do it.
I'll 2nd this.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
GatorJ;n64050 said:
I think we have some great talent in the wings. Assuming our current commits stick: 1. QB: Starter - Abysmal ; Backups - Solid and deep. As long as Jones stays committed. (A) 2. OL: Starters - Solid but we're a class of depth off ; Backups - Our RS Freshman and True Freshman will be solid. We haven't recruited an All-American or All SEC in 6 or 7 years. (B-) 3. DT: Starters - Solid ; Backups - Really good. But we need another really good DT this class. Preferably a 5 star. (B+) 4. Safety: Starters - Young and really green. ; Backups - Solid talent but it would be nice to bring in a 5 star talent at safety. Haven't had one recruited since Elam. (B-) 5. CB: Starters - Young and really green. ; Backups - Deep. Talented. (A) 6. LB: Starters - Awful other than N. Ball. ; Backups - Weak. In desperate need of some top shelf commits. At least one 5 star. (D) 7. P: Starters - Excellent. ; Backups - Solid (B) 8. K: Starters - Average and inconsistent. ; Backups - Virtually none. (C-) 9. WR: Starters - DR and AF are talented. AD can only return kicks. We have no slot. Worton's hurt and when he comes back it may be him. ; Backups - Decent. No 5 star talents in the wings. Desperate need for playmakers. (C) 10. RB: Starters - Excellent. ; Backups - Excellent. But we need one this class. (A) 11. DE: Starters - Solid. Not overwhelming. ; Backups - Lacking. Not much depth. Desperate need of 5 star talent. If we get Cowart and Jefferson this becomes a strength. As for now: (C-)

Spot on sir.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Its really hard to judge how talented we are based on the results we've been getting. If you just used that as the criteria, then the whole team pretty much needs to be upgraded. Of course, we all know they aren't being coached/used properly so I would say our most glaring weaknesses are QB, WR, S, OL and LB.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n64050 said:

Great post. I would have given the kickers an F.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
DT - we don't have the gamechangers that owned opposing o lines like in 2012. Muschamp's D isn't all that in his fourth year. He is vastly overrated as a DC and as a recruiter. And he can't coach up for ****. We've been subpar up the middle of the D since Urban studs left. Muschamp gets an F.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;64129 said:
Great post. I would have given the kickers an F.
If it wasn't for Velez it would be. He's been relatively good from 40 yards in. It's a shame that we can't find a kicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.