Reimagining Fandom

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
YouCantGoHomeAgain.jpg

It's not just Sports. It's a basic principle of time and aging, and the inevitability of your own impending mortality. You reflect on the possibility that life is nothing more than a series of random events with the ability to find the exuberant joy, excitement and meaning of youth dwindle away as you approach that final leap off the existential cliff into the abyss of the unknown; perchance to dream?

Anyway, have a Great Weekend guys!! Go Gators!

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
There's no going back for me.

I enjoyed watching the "competition" in the 80s. The "hope" we could beat the Leghumpers and/or Miami. The well-fought games. There were times even a GOOD play or two was something to hang onto!

The age of innocence.

I'm sure other fanbases have gone through the same things.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think true Gator nuts only have their fandom go into hiding, it's not really gone. If our Gators actually have something to play for, I find my insane side start to come out during a game. It's somewhat shocking that it's still there, dormant yet waiting.

What I'm getting at is that the apathy would shrivel up in the Gator nation VERY quickly if the team made another championship run. You'd have people screaming, punching holes in walls, and heaving stuff at the TV - the way college football is supposed to be watched.

It's just sad we don't have anyone running the program that's really interested in making that run anymore.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
YouCantGoHomeAgain.jpg

It's not just Sports. It's a basic principle of time and aging, and the inevitability of your own impending mortality. You reflect on the possibility that life is nothing more than a series of random events with the ability to find exuberant joy, excitement and meaning of youth dwindle away as you approach that final leap off the existential cliff into the abyss of the unknown; perchance to dream?

Anyway, have a great weekend guys! Go Gators!
giphy.gif

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Graves era and back, any victory was a victory. A trip to a bowl was a fantastic year. And we always waited till next year. It WAS fun. Then the best and worst thing happened. We became a power, expectations went through the roof, and so has disappointment. Yeah I remember. I wish I could go back to just enjoying a game. But I can't. At least not yet. Maybe a few more years of garbage and I'll just give up and give in. I'll probably die first.
It’s great to be a Florida gator…remember those chants leaving the stadium.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There's no going back for me.

I enjoyed watching the "competition" in the 80s. The "hope" we could beat the Leghumpers and/or Miami. The well-fought games. There were times even a GOOD play or two was something to hang onto!

The age of innocence.

I'm sure other fanbases have gone through the same things.
I remember beating USC in1982…that was a signature win!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’d almost prefer to think and feel the way Brad and Doug describe, but I’m just not wired that way. I’m too passionate about things and can’t operate otherwise. It’s partly my heritage. I’m passionate about everything in life, and struggle with doing anything less than 100%. Wife and children have helped as I now have other priorities to consume me. But I grew learned UF football from my grandfather and grew up in the 80s and then 90s and saw the contrast and what that meant to him. So it’s hard for me to accept going back to that, which is why if anyone pays any attention to my posts in the game thread or in the box, they’re usually irrational at best. It infuriates me that some are knowingly demanding less of both themselves and the program as a whole. Losing will happen and every year won’t be perfect, but that’s entirely different than structural flaws that aren’t addressed, which is entirely unacceptable.

So to the OP’s question, no. I won’t accept unending disappointment. I get why some have, but I can’t.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It infuriates me that some are knowingly demanding less of both themselves and the program as a whole. Losing will happen and every year won’t be perfect, but that’s entirely different than structural flaws that aren’t addressed, which is entirely unacceptable.

This what I hold on to, and part of my post apathetic attitude... We hired a dude that had never coached before, ok. We hired a coach with limited head coaching experience, ok. We hire a dude with a decade of experience with full knowledge of who he was an expected different results?

There in lies my apathy... The management is not afraid to be just ok... Muschamp was at least a swing for the fences, and you can make the argument that Butters was too... but with Mullen you knew at best it was a solid double. Solid doubles are great at places like Mississippi State even though they were even rumored to want to break him off. But a solid double is garbage here.

The management accepts mediocrity, it looks like a good number of fans are perfectly happy with that same mediocrity. Just look at the number of Mullen defenders even this offseason on this board. How many people's first arguments are he is better than the last two, or well at least he wasn't Frost or Chip. Just wait until next year when he has his guys. Which are garbage and loser arguments. Heard enough of that mentality in the 80s.

We paid top steak house prices for a McDonald's big mac (I know a lot of dudes on here love Mullen's special sauce), but it's still a schitty burger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.