Replacing Grantham

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Stricklin is one guy. The department is mostly the same. There doesn’t seem to be much difference in how the program is run compared to Foley. Until we see otherwise, I think its safe to assume not much has changed.

If we were to drop Grantham’s contract on someone, I would agree that a lot of folks would be interested but what are the chances of that? I seriously doubt it happens. More likely that we hire the next up and coming, aggressive G5 DC for a bargain - as that’s what we’ve generally done. That’s my point. Plus, most successful major P5 DCs aren’t looking to be a new DC somewhere else - they want to step up. Lea is most likely in the pool. Which is what this whole conversation has been about.

For clarity, I started this conversation talking about the absurdity of taking a successful DC from ND (and by extension, programs like that). I haven’t wavered and that’s still what I’m talking about. I think we could and would easily outbid ISU or someone like that if we wanted their DC.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
My opinion is simple - I don’t think we will get into a bidding war with another top P5 school - even if we could win. I think we go hunting for a top G5 guy and redistribute some of the money to the other assistants that need a raise - or attract new ones to replace whoever Granthem took. Granthem’s salary is shocking to me and part wonders if Mullen made him a part of his negotiations - not sure how easy it would be to find but I’m guessing we have rarely paid top dollar for coordinators.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hiring garbage coaches, then gives them huge pay raises after mediocre to terrible performances? Yes, that is exactly our MO.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Granthem was impressive at MSU too. I dunno man... for a guy who says “you are what your results say you are”, I find it hard to believe that you could so easily overlook his disastrous UT time.

Unfortunately, I don’t think it matters. Looks like year 3 of “3rd and Granthem” is close to guaranteed at this point.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
He inherited arguably the best DL in football from Granthem who probably inherited from the guy before. What happened this year?

I’d rather look at ISUs staff and get their guy. That’s where Clemson went last year for innovation. Clemson’s 3-3-5 is very cool and works really well when mixed with other defenses.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Holy cow dude... talk about leaving out some important info....

MSU over the last 5 years (FEI defense):

2014: 16
2015: 31
2016: 91 (pre-Grantham)
2017: 10 (Grantham)
2018: 1 (Shoop)
2019: 68 (Shoop)

Looks like Shoop took advantage of what was left after Grantham turned around a bad defense.

Let’s look at UT:

2014: 32
2015: 33
2016: 57 (Shoop)
2017: 69 (Shoop)
2018: 65
2019: 32

Looks like they got worse when he arrived and took a year to recover.

Let’s look at PSU:

2012: 14
2013: 19
2014: 4 (Shoop)
2015: 21 (Shoop)
2016: 32
2017: 9

Not really sure he improved anything here - just held it steady. Not a bad stop though.

I see nothing to make him stand out. In fact, looks like hes as likely to produce an average defense as a very good one and he only seems to get those defenses going his first year. I don’t get this one man. Let’s just agree on ISU and move on.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How about we just agree to say no to Cowbell garbage, mmmk?

Let's start shopping off the top shelf again.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
How about we just agree to say no to Cowbell garbage, mmmk?

Let's start shopping off the top shelf again.

We do shop off the top shelf. Unfortunately we shop off the top shelf at Dollar Tree, which is equal to the Bottom Shelf. We can't even afford to shop the top shelf at Wal Mart. The UAA/Staff is incapable of doing any independent reasearch/work.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
All fan bases come around to dominant football, especially on defense. Explosive offenses stand out. Shut down defenses stand out. I’d gladly trade top sack numbers for a reliable 3rd down defense.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
You know the answer to your own question but...

No, not nearly as much as you would. But I did read some about it in the lead up to the playoffs and I like that it was created to mitigate spread offenses without requiring top end talent across the board, generally allows you to put all your most athletic guys on the field at once, and - when combined with some beef in the interior line - can counteract a strong running game (UGA) by closing interior lanes and forcing RBs to go lateral against an athletic defense. It also helped Clemson disguise its blitzes really well and helped their LBs (not as athletic as some other teams) standout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator