Replacing Grantham

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
That would definitely make you happy :lol: Solve one of your largest complaints - i.e. rotating safeties/LBs/etc. There is some good reading on the defense out there if you are interested. It’s one of those schemes that the top DCs are studying to become more varied. Would not surprise me in the least to hear Bama or LSU or Baylor (Aranda) were at ISU exploring that defense this summer.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why has this become an issue? All the way back to Rutledge and the boys, we've always had elite LBs. Why is it we suddenly can't land a damn ILB to save our fvkking life?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That would definitely make you happy :lol: Solve one of your largest complaints - i.e. rotating safeties/LBs/etc.
We don't rotate the safeties to get a better matchup. We just rotate the safeties bc we seem to think our shytty untalented pair of safeties need to be on the field for some reason.

I've not been particularly impressed with 3-3-5 defenses. They ones I've watched all pretty much sucked vs the run.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
We don't rotate the safeties to get a better matchup. We just rotate the safeties bc we seem to think our shytty untalented pair of safeties need to be on the field for some reason.
We rotate them to keep them fresh or for match ups - at least that’s what is said. Annoying.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Makes you wonder... Texas used to be considered a real hotbed for talent and those teams that recruited it well were always competitive. Lately, Texas HS has gone almost full spread. Are CFB teams killing themselves by running systems that just do not match the talent? I have also heard that 7 on 7 is huge in Texas, which is heavily favored towards offense. Are coaches putting all their best kids on offense now?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Clemson showed it can be pretty effective. Even LSU was flummoxed by it at first. Superior athletes eventually won out.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Clemson showed it can be pretty effective. Even LSU was flummoxed by it at first. Superior athletes eventually won out.
If you play LB/DE tweeners at LB, I get it. If you play tweeners at DE and little 'uns at OLB, no damn chance it works, IMO.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Per broadcast... I know, not best source of info... they switched to that 3-3-5 very early in the 1Q. May have even started in it but it looked like a 4-2 because an OLB had his hand in the dirt. But I know they were in it a bunch because they had 3 down lineman throughout the majority of the game.

Additionally, like I pointed out above, I like it because its a nice variation to a base, not necessarily the base. Seems like its easy to move into and out of that defense from standard defenses and gives the OC a lot extra to plan for.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I honestly don’t may much attention to law other than to give him grief. It can be a real pain to sift through the BS to find the substantive.

And I understand that it’s not a “3-3-5” if the OLB has his hand in the dirt - just made a poor observation meant to say that they had the same personnel playing a similar scheme (Simmons was still acting as the MS) and that they could switch into and out of the 3-3-5 to their traditional base because the players were largely the same (like you pointed out above with you 90% same personnel comment). I think Grantham or his replacement could lead SEC innovation if they started adding these elements in and based on what we’ve been doing - playing undersized guys out of position to (hopefully) get our best 11 on the field - I do not think it would be a crazy adjustment. I like your idea of bringing in their safeties coach to replace English but it may be an even better idea to look at their LB coach. ISU went to that defense because their strength was LB/S, specifically LB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator