REPORT: UF to hire Oregon WR coach Matt Lubick?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Can you really blame a coach for wanting his own staff? I know it can be important for the one transitional recruiting year, but I think Mac believes in building the foundation he wants right away instead of sticking with assistants he doesn't like for a year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I expect sufficient prescience to practice that which he professed, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." Then he immediately broke it. Again, it isn't just about recruiting. I've said repeatedly I'll be happy with every damn OL they can find and couple of decent LBs, then save the rests of the seats for worthy talent next year.

It's about having a functional defense next year, hopefully one strong enough to carry the turd offense we were left. Instead they'll be trying to learn the new playbook from the 80th ranked psycho defense, who was last seen getting berated by his HC after getting curbstomped by Ole Siss.

I also expect him to comprehend that he isn't going to get a pass on two 4-8 seasons like he did at Colorado State.

Then again, we seem to tolerate losing around here more than I thought we would.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law is right, we should just fire Mac now and look for a new coach.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hes more worried about the recruiting class, and I really think it's that simple. He coached WRs for a LONG time, so he feels confident in talking to recruits about it. He will get a coach, don't worry. I do, however, think he probably struck out on one or two choices but this isn't an absolutely crucial hire (yet).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Anyone remember when my "4-8 revisited" thread got sent to Solitary? Maybe it should be brought back to active status....

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n155563 said:
Anyone remember when my "4-8 revisited" thread got sent to Solitary? Maybe it should be brought back to active status....

:nono:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
NavetG8r;n155581 said:
"I also expect him to comprehend that he isn't going to get a pass on two 4-8 seasons like he did at Colorado State."

I don't know Navet, it looks like a valid topic judging from remarks like this.....It was a valid topic when I posted it too, save for all the fools trying to make me out to be a troll. If nothing else it will probably be good for a few more post on a otherwise slow day :dunno:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Law98gator;n155267 said:
As for Coach Mac, I get emails from people agreeing that they see problems. I'm not antiMac, I just really dislike his decision to blowup the defensive staff. It destroyed recruiting on that side of the ball needlessly and ensures that our defense is now in rebuilding mode also, learning new playbooks, reads, and calls while trying to fill the holes from last season like terrible safety play, and weak LBs and DTs while we also attempt to fill the holes created by those leaving for the nfl. It's hard to overstate how difficult learning a new defense will be. I think the defense, though talented, will probably look like 2011 or 2005, when we were also a bunch more talented but experienced a dropoff due to learning a new defensive system.

Law98gator;n155498 said:
It's about having a functional defense next year, hopefully one strong enough to carry the turd offense we were left. Instead they'll be trying to learn the new playbook from the 80th ranked psycho defense, who was last seen getting berated by his HC after getting curbstomped by Ole Siss.

I'll agree our recruiting took a hit. However, despite constant changeover on the offensive staff, the defense was more stable and had more consistent coaching in both recruiting and non-developing that same defensive squad that you are calling weak and full of holes. Would keeping the same staff have changed that? Especially if JMac did not have faith in, or at least a relationship with, those defensive coaches?

Did you read this? Granted, it's Andreu, but there are quotes from Collins:

This actually appears to have all the makings of a smooth, simple and painless transition (if there is such a thing).
“It's kind of the same because I was with coach Saban for a year (at Alabama),” Collins said. “The terminology. ... I'm out at (UF bowl) practice listening to the calls and listening to the schemes. It's all the same stuff. As Will left coach Saban and other places, terminology might have been switched. Same thing with me, terminology has been tweaked, but the principles are the same.
“The thing we've talked about with the defensive guys, it's not a wholesale change. Let's just work on finding the things we can get better and take us to the next level. Whether that be 10 percent or whatever that may be, finding that edge and going out and getting it done so we can improve upon where we are right now."
Some of the terminology may change under Collins and the new staff, but the basic scheme the Gators have run the past four years will pretty much remain intact.
Florida's defense under Muschamp is so similar to the defense Collins ran at Mississippi State that Collins and the MSU defensive players would watch tape of Florida's defense whenever they had the opportunity during the season.
“As you go through the season in the SEC, when you do cut-ups and you break down games, you usually do the four defenses that have played the team before,” Collins said. “But every time Florida was on it — because there are so many similarities between what we do schematically — even if they were the fifth or sixth game out, I would always make sure they were in the breakdown because there is so much similarity.”
“We had our team meeting the other night, and we had a defensive unit meeting and just the things we were talking about the kids were getting excited and juiced up. I'm just excited to be around the guys. They've got a good look in their eye and obviously they're talented and hungry to have some success."

So, JMac installs a coach he is comfortable with rather than someone he inherited. Said DC runs a similar defensive scheme with tweaks and terminology differences but essentially the same system. Said DC has met with players and they are already excited about the coming season as opposed to groaning about the (non-existent) learning curve. Where's the setback?

Do you just like to complain? It sounds that way.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n155498 said:
I expect sufficient prescience to practice that which he professed, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." Then he immediately broke it. Again, it isn't just about recruiting. I've said repeatedly I'll be happy with every damn OL they can find and couple of decent LBs, then save the rests of the seats for worthy talent next year.

I also expect him to comprehend that he isn't going to get a pass on two 4-8 seasons like he did at Colorado State.

Then again, we seem to tolerate losing around here more than I thought we would.

I agree I was surprised with the DC hire (probably Foley being cheap) but he only had one bad losing season (his first) at Colorado State I think.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n155726 said:
I agree I was surprised with the DC hire (probably Foley being cheap) but he only had one bad losing season (his first) at Colorado State I think.

in his first season his starting qb went down and I believe they lost their back up qb aswell

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n155694 said:
Did you read this? Granted, it's Andreu, but there are quotes from Collins:
Total bullshiiit, contrived to cover the the stupidity of blowing up the defense. Just like the total bullshiit we heard initially about Peas using the same terminology that Triple Cheeseburger used in order to lessen the "new system" problem, which never happened.

The kids are receiving playbooks, and its different. It's as simple as that.

I'd like to hear that they felt DJ was gone anyway or whatever. That's not what I heard.

As for your other point, that the previous defense was weak and full of holes, I agree. The safety play and MLBs were particularly bad. But it wasn't as weak and full of holes and Geoff Collins' defenses. In fact, the only team that I saw last year that had worse safety play than us was Cowbell. And Collins' CBs looked just as bad as his safeties.

I might have been sold if we hired a great DC. We didn't.

It will be easy enough to compare stats next year. I'm sure people will come up with plenty of excuses as to why our defense flounders.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
but he only had one bad losing season (his first) at Colorado State I think.
Noted. I was wrong.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n156098 said:
I'd like to hear that they felt DJ was gone anyway or whatever. That's not what I heard.
Wouldn't have mattered whether Durkin stayed or left.....Muschamp ran the defense. One thing you should consider before completely trashing Collins and that is he probably had half of the talent at MSU as he will have here. Tell me one team that played better defense than UF did the second half of the season this year? Nobody and that is despite having mediocre LB's and inexperienced safety's to boot.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Law98gator;156099 said:
but he only had one bad losing season (his first) at Colorado State I think.
Noted. I was wrong.
Don't get your hopes up guys. We probably aren't going to be real good next year, it's to be expected. The year after next I honestly see us getting to the SECCG though. If you haven't gotten the feeling yet I know our coach has the same expectation on year 2. My hopes for next year are have a better record than this year, continue the streak against UT, start a streak against uga, and split our two games against the west

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n156160 said:
Wouldn't have mattered whether Durkin stayed or left.....Muschamp ran the defense..
The point is that there wouldnt be a scheme and name transition. That is always a huge transition. Instead of just teaching the freshmen a new scheme, the whole damn defense are now freshmen learning new schemes.

Even if he felt like he needed his own guy, just keeping DJ, who has been named the top recruiter in the country, as a co DC, or any other of the d staff, we could have precluded the whole learn a new scheme thing. Its far easier for a few coaches to learn a playbook (then slowly add a play or two at a time) than it is to expect 19 yos who only get to practice 20 hours a week for 6 weeks a year.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n156098 said:
It will be easy enough to compare stats next year. I'm sure people will come up with plenty of excuses as to why our defense flounders.
And if there's some success it's going to be interesting to see how YOU spin it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I would be happy and admit I was wrong, just like I did when Jordan Reed became a good TE.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n156219 said:
I would be happy and admit I was wrong, just like I did when Jordan Reed became a good TE.
How big of you.

We all understand your concerns. You hate the hires - ALL of them except Randy Shannon. I'm withholding judgement until I actually see them coach a damn game. Please tell me you aren't going to be this way for 8 months.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Actually, I didn't like Randy Shannon but he is at least competent at his job and a great recruiter. I don't know enough about the position coaches to have an opinion. I only dislike the coordinators. With a mediocre coach, I'd really like to see really strong coordinators.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n156256 said:
With a mediocre coach, I'd really like to see really strong coordinators.
You're in the minority that think he's a mediocre coach. Having spent the week here in Colorado I've been told by several people how great they think McElwain was. That CSU program was a dumpster fire when he took over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.