Requiem for the 2015 Regular Season

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Of course the final results (10-2 with wins over Tennessee, Ole Miss, UGA, and USCe and a berth in the SEC Championship game) were FAR better than most expected but an honest examination of our last few games reveals that we look a lot like we did last year. Stingy defense, inept offense. You can argue that we looked better against a stronger FSU team on the road last year than we did against a weaker FSU team at home (at night!) this year. So what happened? What went wrong? What's our hope for the future?

Well, at the beginning of the season, teams didn't know how to play our offense. Didn't know the players' strengths and weaknesses. It was a new system under a new coach with a new QB and new OL.

We rode that uncertainty for a while. Teams were covering our only offensive playmaker from last year, DeMarcus Robinson, and giving true freshman Antonio Callaway space. They didn't think Cyontai Lewis or DeAndre Goolsby could catch. They assumed our young patchwork OL would be better at run blocking than pass blocking and that Kelvin Taylor was going to be the workhorse of the offense.

You could see them trying to figure us out as the year progressed. The early focus was stopping Kelvin Taylor. Tennessee didn't blitz Will Grier on some important plays and counted on their talented d-line to abuse our OL and get pressure. Grier made them pay. Ole Miss saw this and figured the solution was to blitz him early and often and Grier used his lightning quick release and ability to see receivers downfield to burn them too. Turned out our OL was better at pass blocking than run blocking and that Callaway was the best WR we had (and Powell was our other playmaker). Nobody knew that going in and it took a few games of game tape to figure it out.

Mizzou figured it out and had the horses on the DL to stifle us. But then Grier got suspended and opposing teams had to figure out a whole new QB. Against LSU, Treon looked just fine. The staff was able to roll him out where he was more comfortable and he hurt teams with his legs. Teams again didn't know to blitz or not blitz, to assign a spy or not, whether he was better against zone or man. It took a couple of games, but teams figured out Treon's strengths and weaknesses. They decided they had to keep him in the pocket and play zone so they could keep eyes on his scrambling.

That's why we looked so good at times and so inept at other times. It's a phenomenon not limited to this team or this year. Remember Tebow won the Heisman with an incredible season in 2007? We were theoretically much more talented on offense in 2008 and 2009 but opposing teams were better prepared to play us in those subsequent years than they were the first time they saw that offense with Tebow at the helm in 2007. Make sense?

Yeah, Grier is a helluva lot better than Treon. Treon has certain limitations. Grier has NFL upside. But much of what we have seen on offense this season is teams figuring out how play us.

The defense has been nearly elite. Frankly, I can't believe we did as well as we did with only 2 linebackers this year. That base nickel worked out well for us and thank God Antonio Morrison and Jarrad Davis got healthy and stayed healthy. I don't think many Gators truly understand how close we were to a complete disaster on defense this year. You can have the best DL in the country and the best secondary in the country but without any linebackers, you're no good. We only had two. Somehow, those guys held it together. The DL was a pleasant surprise. Bullard is a beast but the young guns are damn good. I didn't think McAllister or Cox were ever going to amount to much but Cox was a stud all season long and McAllister was a very good pass rusher. In the secondary, the question was at safety. Neal was a big hitter all season long and Maye somehow managed to be around loose balls all season long.

Special teams was a disaster (except for punting and kick coverage). I suspected going in to the season that we weren't going to be great, but this was so much worse than expected. New coaching staffs tend to lots of time on base offense and defense. They are bringing in a new system, a new language, and they focus on their bread and butter. Often special teams don't get as much attention. So expectations weren't too high but boy, were we over optimistic.

This is Florida. We always have somebody back there that's a threat to return a kick or punt all the way. Not this season. Kickoff returns were abysmal early in the season and only improved marginally by the end of the season. Callaway showed promise as a punt returner later in the season but overall, nothing like what we expect around here. We didn't block kicks or punts the way we are used to either. LSU's fake field goal was cringe-worthy. The field goal kicking goes without saying. Dunno what's wrong with our guy but we must have set a record for blocked kicks this season. He was line-driving them straight into armpits and elbows. You didn't even need to jump to block his kicks. And when a kick somehow managed to clear the LOS, it missed. Just an unmitigated disaster. Disgusting. Stomach churning.

Luck. Luck played a big role. Like it did in 2012. We caught a lot of breaks. Converting that 4th down for a TD against Tennessee. Getting a few game-changing turnovers against Ole Miss. Catching UGA without Chubb and Missouri with their back-up QB. Catching USCe with a walk-on QB and no Spurrier. All that good luck ran out towards the end of the season, especially in that FSU game. Every 50-50 call seemed to go against us, and and they were huge, momentum shifting calls. We should have recovered that fumble in the endzone for a touchdown. That block in the back on Callaway's return was pretty damn ticky-tack, especially being behind the play. Couple of missed PI calls that would have kept drives alive, let the defense rest, and at least flip field position if not result in scores, not to mention our missed kicks or theirs bouncing IN off the upright. Nothing broke our way in that game.

Overall, big picture? We hired the right guy and we're on the right path. You could often see that the right play was called. It didn't always work because of talent or execution, but it was the right play call. The players seemed to know what they were doing, and that's a huge improvement over the past.

I think we're seeing a much more disciplined, well-coached bunch. Remember all the delay of game penalties the last few years? All the illegal procedure penalties? The self-aggrandizing late hits and showboating? I think this is a much better team in that regard.

We're doing ALL the things we need to elevate this program. Not just Xs and Os. Have you noticed all the official pregame hype videos? All the social media badges and watermarks? The official UF social media stuff? This is what kids share with each other. This gets them interested in your program. This will pay off recruiting dividends in the future. The facilities are improving as demonstrated by the IPF. Recruiting will improve as The Swamp is starting to feel a little more Swampy.

We're ahead of schedule. We may very well lose our last 3 games and still call the season a success. I'd much rather lose in Atlanta than not go to Atlanta. This is going to be a huge learning experience for this team. That said, there is no guarantee we're going to be in Atlanta again next year. We still have a construction project with the OL. We still have a linebacker sized crater on defense. We need an outside receiver opposite Callaway. We need a QB. Del Rio? Franks? Treon until Grier comes back? Will Grier ever come back?

I dunno. But I do think we've got the right guy and we are heading in the right direction.

Go Gators.

Alex.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I see that I'm going to need to spend some serious time on the toilet.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I see that I'm going to need to spend some serious time on the toilet.

When do you not?

img_3926.jpg

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good read, Alex, and a lot to agree with. Certainly with you where Mac and staff are concerned. I will add that as unbalanced as the roster is, it makes stabilizing and excelling a much more difficult process. After Saturday's game (and the offensive decline preceding) a great lack of patience erupts and many are in a tizzy. There is not a quick fix despite our appetites being whetted early with Mac's initial success, some luck along the way notwithstanding. Again, it is a process, but I believe the right guy is behind the controls. Hopefully some perspective can be maintained.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good read, Alex, and a lot to agree with. Certainly with you where Mac and staff are concerned. I will add that as unbalanced as the roster is, it makes stabilizing and excelling a much more difficult process. After Saturday's game (and the offensive decline preceding) a great lack of patience erupts and many are in a tizzy. There is not a quick fix despite our appetites being whetted early with Mac's initial success, some luck along the way notwithstanding. Again, it is a process, but I believe the right guy is behind the controls. Hopefully some perspective can be maintained.

I think the vast majority understand what a disaster chump left. This was year one. We will probably do a bit better next year just because will have a kicker and hopefully a QB. There will probably be a slight drop on the defense of side of the ball with the departure of Hargraves and Bullard. Although we do have some excellent players in the wings. I don't expect a significant jump in offense until the year after next.

The only reason our record will probably be the same next year is because the East will still be a disaster. No quarterbacks. That's good news for us.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I read this. It was enough.

"I dunno. But I do think we've got the right guy and we are heading in the right direction.

Go Gators."

Alex.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thanx Alex, I read it all. You taught me the stuff of reality.Settled my tizzy. :thumbup:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Your tag used to be, "Long winded but worth the wait." I see that's changed.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Just would like to say that before I even read it I know it's gonna be good stuff.

And...
It was awesome as per usual. I would just like to add that the jury is still out on this staff. Wait until they get their players in place - maybe year 3 - and we will be able to judge. I am damn happy to see the offense trying though. Unlike the last 4 years.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Just would like to say that before I even read it I know it's gonna be good stuff.

And...
It was awesome as per usual. I would just like to add that the jury is still out on this staff. Wait until they get their players in place - maybe year 3 - and we will be able to judge. I am damn happy to see the offense trying though. Unlike the last 4 years.

It's funny how nobody mentions Zook anymore.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Zook was the man!

:bananadance2:

G8RNTN

Proud Gator on RockyNot
Sep 25, 2015
Very good post agree with you on everything except for the offensive talent between '07-'09. '07-'08 was by far better than '09. '09 all we had was Tebow, and a pathetic OC "The Daztard"

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Great post Alex.

I think we're definitely on the right track and hired the right guy. What Coach Mac did with this particular team and its flaws this season was nothing short of a miracle.

Yes, the East was down. Yes, it seemed like every big win was overshadowed by "Team x missing star player/coach", but I don't think that takes anything away from what this team accomplished. You can see that big time offensive recruits are taking notice of Coach's offensive scheme, regardless of the execution on the field.....there's potential to really be a prolific and efficient offense going forward with the right personnel.

I also noticed the "look at me and what I just did" mentality seemed to disappear after the Taylor throat slash incident. It's clear Mac isn't going to tolerate any bs like that, no matter who the player is and what they mean to the team. Robinson was a disappointment. I was hoping he would finally put it all together and have a big year after sleepwalking the past couple. He has the athleticism and big play ability to be a difference maker, if he'd just get his head out of his arse.

Go Gators.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They punched it in twice in the red zone. We turned over on downs twice in the red zone.
They made two FG's. We missed two. That's pretty much the difference in the game.
The snap wasn't great on our 1st 4th down attempt, but Treon clearly panicked.
The roll right throw across your body to the left to a TE without a catch in his career.:gah:
Football can be a cruel game sometimes. It's not like baseball when you can play the next day.
Waiting 365 days to get revenge on a rival is a long time.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Did anybody make it through the whole thing? Is he happy JMac is here or not?

:giggle:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the vast majority understand what a disaster chump left. This was year one. We will probably do a bit better next year just because will have a kicker and hopefully a QB. There will probably be a slight drop on the defense of side of the ball with the departure of Hargraves and Bullard. Although we do have some excellent players in the wings. I don't expect a significant jump in offense until the year after next.

The only reason our record will probably be the same next year is because the East will still be a disaster. No quarterbacks. That's good news for us.

I think the offense next year will show significant improvement. The O-line will be stronger and more experienced, WR's will improve due to experience and increased depth with recruiting, Lewis and Goolsby are playmakers, and we'll be fine at the RB position.

Will we have a serviceable QB in the first half of the season? I think so. Mac will have enough time to get someone ready enough to do well until Grier returns. Plus, there's only two games on the schedule in that first half that will be tough. If we can start the season at 5-1 or better, next year can still be a championship type year.

RomanGator

Dec 1, 2014
Perhaps someone can list the 2016 games and start a ridiculously early next season prediction thread?
Bayergator

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator