Ribs done right

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
First things first, spend the extra $1.50 per pound for the baby backs . St. Louis ribs just don’t cut it . The extra dollar fifty is a no brainer . Take your rack home and remove the silver skin . Salt , pepper , paprika , onion powder , garlic powder , cinnamon , brown sugar , cayenne, ground red pepper, red pepper flakes both sides of your pork . Set on foil and leave aside for a moment . For your bbq sauce mix the following : ketchup , brown sugar , Worcestershire , Dijon mustard , salt , pepper, honey ,cayenne and smidge of white vinegar . Stir while simmering over medium . Remove from heat . Cover your rack while he sauce cools . Once it has cost your rack with a brush covering every square inch front and back of the pork .

225 for 5 hours ribs in . Baste with your sauce every 90 minutes you should have just a
but leftover after the third and final baste . Start your coals and in a half hour smoke the ribs one hour over indirect heat . You should have some sauce leftover for dipping once your ribs are off the grill. Enjoy the most tender , succulent pork imaginable .

Image1559000247.461378.jpg

Seasoned and ready to go

Image1559000282.139222.jpg
Second baste

Image1559000299.460764.jpg

Third baste

Image1559000314.700360.jpg

Ready for the webby

Image1559000428.766927.jpg

Enjoy that tender delicious rib

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
To be clear, you’re baking your ribs at 225 for 5 hours before putting them over coals for another hour?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
To be clear, you’re baking your ribs at 225 for 5 hours before putting them over coals for another hour?

Correct my friend . Indirect on the webby

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Correct my friend . Indirect on the webby
image1559000314-700360-jpg.15349

Ribs look great but in that picture those ribs are on direct heat, but I see they deck has been halved so I am assuming you put them back over the coals to keep warm while taking the picture.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
image1559000314-700360-jpg.15349

Ribs look great but in that picture those ribs are on direct heat, but I see they deck has been halved so I am assuming you put them back over the coals to keep warm while taking the picture.

Thanks Cross. You nailed it!

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I prefer to smoke my ribs with a much simpler rub of fresh coarsely ground black pepper and kosher salt. 250 for 3 hours, heavy smoke. I will baste every 30 minutes with apple juice.

To me, the pork wins the show like that.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I prefer to smoke my ribs with a much simpler rub of fresh coarsely ground black pepper and kosher salt. 250 for 3 hours, heavy smoke. I will baste every 30 minutes with apple juice.

To me, the pork wins the show like that.

Do you have an egg? I've yet to pony up the dough for one. Though I like the smoke flavor so much
I feel it's an inevitable future purchase. My buddies rave about them for thanksgiving turkeys, BBQ,
even cookies.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
No sugar in the rub for me. I will baste a couple racks when ordered to (wife) but I don’t care for sweet bbq rubs.

They do look tasty

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Do you have an egg? I've yet to pony up the dough for one. Though I like the smoke flavor so much
I feel it's an inevitable future purchase. My buddies rave about them for thanksgiving turkeys, BBQ,
even cookies.

Yeah, I have a large egg and an electric Bradley smoker.

Amazon product

The Bradley is actually pretty damn sweet. Basically an outdoor oven and a pretty cool autofeeding smoke box. I'll use the Bradley for precise long smokes (10 hours plus)... like brisket and pork shoulders.

The egg is obviously king and I will certainly use that for several hour cooks for chicken, turkey, ribs. Beef short ribs are my new favorite. Plus, you can make pizzas on it which are freaking amazing.

There is fairly long BBQ thread buried in here somewhere:
***Official Gatorchatter BBQ Thread***

edit: Amazon link isnt working. Anyway... just search Bradley Smoker in Amazon. $389

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You guys made me hungry so I'm eating some leftover cold ribs with my iced coffee for breakfast....

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
IMO you can do just as good of BBQ on a Weber pot as can be done on a Green Egg. The difference is the amount of work and attention needed between the two options.

Factor in cost and eggs are less attractive.

Egg owners brag about them because they do an amazing job AND to remind themselves that their purchase was justified. :wink:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
IMO you can do just as good of BBQ on a Weber pot as can be done on a Green Egg. The difference is the amount of work and attention needed between the two options.

Egg owners brag about them because they do an amazing job AND to remind themselves that their purchase was justified. :wink:
It's why I got a Traeger.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
It's why I got a Traeger.

I love the Traeger but I love the Green Egg too. Both have their plusses and minuses.

However, I view the Traeger in the same vein as the Egg in cost and ease of use with the Treager being less expensive and easier to use than the Egg...so better IMO. Unless you're trying to get above 6 or 700 hundred degrees. Then the Egg gets the nod.

However, and more to my original point, if you like to physically work a grill, have the time to do so and don't want to spend upwards of $400 (up to $1,200) then a simple Weber pot grill can, and will, cook just as succulent a meal as either the Traeger or the Green Egg. Clean up is easier too on a pot grill and they're easier to move around and require no electrical outlet. I'm currently on my second one. The first one lasted around 15 years and this current one is almost 8 years old.

To each their own though. I can afford any of them but simply prefer the Weber (with a cover).
upload_2019-5-30_9-16-5.png

Last edited:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My Weber is probably over 20 years old. I inherited it when I moved in with the gf, it was her dad's. He's been dead 15 years.the dampers on the bottom vents are gone as well. Moochie borrowed it one weekend and when it came back the wood grips on the handles were missing and the dome top was warped but I managed to straighten it out.. Seems it blew out the back of his truck on I-10. It's only cover is when I pull it under the patio, which is hardly ever . I love it and gave away my big offset smoker.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
My Weber is probably over 20 years old. I inherited it when I moved in with the gf, it was her dad's. He's been dead 15 years.the dampers on the bottom vents are gone as well. Moochie borrowed it one weekend and when it came back the wood grips on the handles were missing and the dome top was warped but I managed to straighten it out.. Seems it blew out the back of his truck on I-10. It's only cover is when I pull it under the patio, which is hardly ever . I love it and gave away my big offset smoker.

Yeah they're tough. Not like balls though, they're fragile, more like Betty Whites vagina. :wink:

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
I've got a large BGE. After multiple tries, I've given up on it as a smoker. It makes the best grilled stuff like steak, chicken, burgers, etc. And it is fantastic at searing a piece of meat or fish I prepared with my sous vide. Simply put, there are far better smoking options out there. My favorite is the Yoder, but any of the pellet smokers produce a better smoke ring than I can get on the BGE.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I totally agree.

I only have my BGE because it was 100% free. :dance:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Jambalaya. Instead of shrimp and sausage use extra red and green pepper, black beans and diced jalapeño. It has more of a Indian than Cajun vibe . Not bad though. My sister in law is a vegetarian who just so happens to be allergic to shrimp . So I make it when she visits .

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Avatara has celery sticking out of one ear, lettuce out of the other, and a zucchini up his ass.
He goes to the doctor and asks him what's wrong.
The doctor tells him, "Well, for one thing, you're not eating right."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.