Rio Athletic villages uninhabitable

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
"
This week’s scheduled move-in for the Olympic athletes’ village in Brazil fell flat, as the Australian delegation refused to enter the facilities due to serious issues with plumbing and fire safety.

That’s according to the Sydney Morning Herald, which cites the AOC claiming the Australian athletes arrived today intending to check into their rooms, only to find them “uninhabitable.” The Herald claims the Great Britain and New Zealand delegations found themselves in the same spot upon arrival this weekend.

The Australians discovered water flowing down the walls upon attempting to flush toilets, a strong smell of gas, and exposed wiring. The team is currently staying in hotels to await their accommodations for the Games. Meanwhile:"

Best part is, then the mayor of Rio goes on twitter and offers to put a kangaroo in their dorm to make it feel more like home! What a disaster!
http://deadspin.com/rio-olympics-athletes-village-declared-uninhabitable-1784219622

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This has been a joke from the beginning for Rio... the IOC selection committee should be fired for this.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
This is like FIFA giving the World Cup to Qatar. Corruption abounds, and it's ridiculous.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Who is surprised that the athlete's accommodations are substandard? The whole country is substandard, this is what you get when you give third world countries big time events.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
In the rowing events, I fully expect to see paper trash hanging onto paddles.
Sickness joke choosing that location. Only Romney's L.A. Olympics were profitable … and
that's logical because they had the stadium venues already there -- UCLA and USC facilities =
no costly building projects just building standard dormitory-apartments. So the "there stuff" went back
to its typical use and the housing became rental property.

So, from now on the Olympics should be held only at venues that use those type facilities year around.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Zika danger during training = mosquitoes locate targets honing in on CO2 = the main product of
exhalation. Bzzzil ?

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Rogdo -
No big deal, but I think Romney rescued the SLC scandal-plagued Winter Olympics. It was Peter Ueberroth(sp) that ran the $$successful LA Games.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Rogdo -
No big deal, but I think Romney rescued the SLC scandal-plagued Winter Olympics. It was Peter Ueberroth(sp) that ran the $$successful LA Games.

Thanks NoGaGator for the smarter input. I get whole themes backwards too often.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
It is a high cost for two weeks of fame. With the expense of building an entire Olympics Village from the ground up, with all the various sports venues, round the clock security, etc. etc. etc. etc., I don't see why any country would want all of that. And given the economic status and living conditions of so many Brazilians, I think the money could have been much better spent.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
people actually watch the Olympics?

they have become a joke in so many ways it's ridiculous.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This really is a disaster. Hopefully it will change the way they do their selections, but I imagine the selection committee is being well paid by Brazil. Unfortunately... this event is going to hurt Brazil's reputation more than it improves it. That is not money well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb